You can still upgrade to Windows 10 for FREE – here’s how

Jai Dee

windows-10-650x336.jpg

Microsoft’s offer for users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free officially ended on 29 July 2016 – or so we were lead to believe.

Now a new report claims that there is still a way to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/22013/

I thought I'd re-post this here just in case some members missed it.

Also, by posting it here it allows for further discussion as subjects in the Tech Forum are closed thus preventing any discussion.

yeah it still works, if not that way you can download by using this tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

it's basically for users who "needs" accessibility features.. but no checks in place, it just works.. as long as you have a genuine Windows.. it might even work without it.

I have been using it quite bit too by buying dirt cheap Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 keys and upgrading to W10 right after.

Edited by kekalot

kekalot: a question about this:  After doing the free upgrade to 10 from Win7, can you create recovery drive  and use it to do a pristine install of Win 10? 

I ask this because I've been running 10 for about a year on a laptop (Asus) that it was pre-installed on.  It seems that most of the problems I've read on the net regarding Win10 are posted by people running the upgraded version.  I may be installing Windows on another laptop soon, and was thinking of doing what you mention -- getting a cheap key, installing Win7, then upgrading to 10.  After that, create the recovery drive, then scrub the disk and do a completely clean install.

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

kekalot: a question about this:  After doing the free upgrade to 10 from Win7, can you create recovery drive  and use it to do a pristine install of Win 10? 

I ask this because I've been running 10 for about a year on a laptop (Asus) that it was pre-installed on.  It seems that most of the problems I've read on the net regarding Win10 are posted by people running the upgraded version.  I may be installing Windows on another laptop soon, and was thinking of doing what you mention -- getting a cheap key, installing Win7, then upgrading to 10.  After that, create the recovery drive, then scrub the disk and do a completely clean install.

I install usually Windows 8.1, upgrade to Windows 10 and then once Windows 10 is up you can go in settings and do a "Reset this PC" and use the option to delete everything.

not exactly an answer to your question but it achieves the same results

21 hours ago, bendejo said:

Yes, you can. No need to create a recovery drive. Just download the latest image and use that to run a clean install.

Edited by JamJar

What do you gain from these new tings, li don't like to change the system .G Mail , Internet, Social Media,and a hi eng graphics card for the odd PC game now n then.On re format I insist on Win 7 , so can someone explain where these new ideas benefit a user like me n my chums here who don't know either.[emoji85][emoji233]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

so can someone explain where these new ideas benefit a user like me n my chums here who don't know eithe

I don't think they do benefit you. Win 10 has nice graphics but if  windows 7 handled your computer needs good enough than Windows 10 is just alot of fluff. No reson to keep suffering through all the updates.

13 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Thanks we simpletons would just like to know what the fluff is..All I get is Oh Nothing Realy .Can you tell us something significant, or is it just Eye Candy.?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

MS says Win10 has better performance, faster boot-up time and less power usage so you can go without charging longer. Most of the improvements though you probably wouldn't notice unless your playing games. Also win10 has alot of tracking software  built in to help MS with their marketing. 

I kept it through the first upgrade and got rid of it. The headaches out weighed the any benefits I saw.

It does boot quickly and presumably security is better. But to me its pure bloat, always a few extra clicks to get to the old Windows gui which was even mire tedious. 

All the options, default is on. Reminds me of FB, just volunteer spyware

I'm a gamer and upgraded day 1.

I have  4 proper computers and a laptop on Windows 10 and never had a single issue.

regarding the "bloat", you click all the stuff off. if you REALLY don't want the updates you set your connection to metered.

for the crap Metro UI, install Classic Start menu, my start menu looks like Windows XP set on performance

absolutely no need to play around with Metro unless you really want to, there's a button for that too if needed.

I have never had any issues with a single app or game yet.. plenty of people stuck on Windows XP  and Windows 7 and there is no "real" reasons to.

my friend was trying to play some old game on Steam like 2 weeks ago, game wouldn't start on Win7 but worked on Win10.

I put Win 10 on an old Win8 laptop recently (may 2017) I just downloaded it from Microsoft, it installed & updated - no prompts for licenses or payment. It registered and that was it.

I don't think they are chasing licenses/fees on home versions of Win10 so much anymore. I think their priority is to transition everyone to Win10.

4 hours ago, Aussie69 said:

I put Win 10 on an old Win8 laptop recently (may 2017) I just downloaded it from Microsoft, it installed & updated - no prompts for licenses or payment. It registered and that was it.

I don't think they are chasing licenses/fees on home versions of Win10 so much anymore. I think their priority is to transition everyone to Win10.

That is the right answer. :wink: