According to this you can buy Thai craft beer in Family Mart

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Good news if true.  Thailand's beer needs to be on par with the food. 

The Thai beer monopolies are a disgrace.  Small business should be allowed to brew beer. 

Thai beer is a disgrace.

2 hours ago, Bonefish said:

Singha beer gives me incredible headaches. Locally brewed Asahi and Heineken are ok.

Same for me, It's a sign it hasn't been 'filtered' correctly like say Heineken is, there's an 'oil' when beer is made/Brewed that needs removing as much as possible, it's called something like 'Fussel oil' or near to that word, the more that's left behind the more chance of a headache, top Vodkas that cost a lot more will have been 'filtered' as many as three times.

48 minutes ago, oobar said:

Heineken is a sissy beer.  Singha is for us men.

48 minutes ago, oobar said:

Singha is overrated and expensive. Chang is far better.

Same for me, It's a sign it hasn't been 'filtered' correctly like say Heineken is, there's an 'oil' when beer is made/Brewed that needs removing as much as possible, it's called something like 'Fussel oil' or near to that word, the more that's left behind the more chance of a headache, top Vodkas that cost a lot more will have been 'filtered' as many as three times.

I think you're referring to "fusel", which is not an oil, but a molecule that is usually produced when fermentation temperatures are not controlled. And you're right, it likely contributes to a hangover.

1 hour ago, oobar said:

Of course I take two Paracetamol before I start drinking Sing, but my favorite neighborhood hotel has good fresh Singha on Draft so I pop in there once in awhile to have a pool side beer.

At home I drink Archa, very few bars sell it unfortunately, but I have a nice bar close by where I can purchase a large bottle for 65 Baht, if they no have Archa I will go for Leo.
Archa.jpg.66b16f14be05bb6b96dc65eb9e548083.jpg

Good grief, I wouldn't call Archa a beer [emoji37]

I don't like most beer (the draft beer at the airport in Frankfurt was heavenly) but recently at the indian place on soi nana near soi 6 (recommended, on par with the UK) I had an Asahi (presumably locally brewed per post #5) to commemorate my pal's visit to Thailand and my first restaurant meal in many years...

and it wasn't half bad...sorta like I remembered from California...

btw, beware of paracetamol with alcohol (google fer contraindications) as the combo will ruin yer liver...if it ain't ruined already...

22 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

I think you're referring to "fusel", which is not an oil, but a molecule that is usually produced when fermentation temperatures are not controlled. And you're right, it likely contributes to a hangover.

Thanks, Christian, that's the word I was looking for, and the 'expert', yes, I know, did say the correct term was a form of 'oil', but, I would rather believe your version.

On 6/6/2017 at 9:44 AM, yellowboat said:

Good news if true.  Thailand's beer needs to be on par with the food. 

The Thai beer monopolies are a disgrace.  Small business should be allowed to brew beer. 

Yes but thais can't stand been seen as anything less than the best.  Loss of face and they crumble. 

1 hour ago, loong said:

I thought that posting videos and pictures containing brand names of alcoholic beverages is major cyber crime now.

I always thought that Pommies only like to drink warm beer. Don't tell me that you have fallen for the Thai habit of drinking very ordinary beer at room temp. and then chuck a block of ice in.

When I was living in Bangkok, I tried to brew ginger beer. Too many bottle (plastic) explosions, 

But, Hey! are there any other ginger beer (brewed) cravers out there?  Do we need a brewing forum?

On June 6, 2560 BE at 6:14 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

I don't like most beer (the draft beer at the airport in Frankfurt was heavenly) but recently at the indian place on soi nana near soi 6 (recommended, on par with the UK) I had an Asahi (presumably locally brewed per post #5) to commemorate my pal's visit to Thailand and my first restaurant meal in many years...

and it wasn't half bad...sorta like I remembered from California...

btw, beware of paracetamol with alcohol (google fer contraindications) as the combo will ruin yer liver...if it ain't ruined already...

Yes, Asahi (locally brewed, but under strict supervision by the Japanese mother company) is by far the best Thai-brewed beer imho. And no headaches!

And yes again, paracetamol combined with alcohol is deadly, it will destroy your liver. A very well-known fact...

I think Chang is a quite acceptable lager, and if you chunk ice in it you really are not drinking it warm, eh?:smile: Leo has a slightly lower alcohol content, so is my usual onesie when out on the scooter.
Any number of decent imports available. I drink so little anymore, the extra cost is not a bother.
I will be giving a beer club a try. They offer delivered cases of imported beers. 

Edited by Bill Miller

22 hours ago, gazza4 said:

I always thought that Pommies only like to drink warm beer. Don't tell me that you have fallen for the Thai habit of drinking very ordinary beer at room temp. and then chuck a block of ice in.

When I was living in Bangkok, I tried to brew ginger beer. Too many bottle (plastic) explosions, 

But, Hey! are there any other ginger beer (brewed) cravers out there?  Do we need a brewing forum?

Home brewed root beer, too. Used to make it in college in my dorm closet.

On June 8, 2560 BE at 6:19 PM, BigCinBKK said:

65 Baht for Archa?!(!? You're getting ripped off, on a shitty beer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, he's getting ripped off! For just 5 baht more he can get the excellent Asahi extra dry, the best beer in Thailand.

But to each his own, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum...