Police chase goes wrong: motorcyle cop killed, partner seriously injured

webfact

Police chase goes wrong: motorcyle cop killed, partner seriously injured
By The Nation

8e39ff1c1962b7b6f6de970eb74bca3b.jpeg

PHITSANULOK: -- A motorcycle cop was killed and his partner severely injured when a suspected drunk driver in a pickup truck, who was trying to avoid arrest, crashed into another pickup truck while running a red light and the second vehicle then hit the motorcycle the officer were on.

The accident happened shortly after midnight on Tuesday at the Indochina Intersection on Phitsanulok-Uttaradit Road in Muang district, Phitsanulok province

It followed a chase of about eight kilometres.

Lance Corporal Sarawut Chanso, 29, died at the scene of head injuries.

The seriously injured pillion rider was Lance Corporal Kantapat Sanyapong, 26.

Police arrested the pickup driver Itthiphum Phuphad, 25, who appeared under influence of alcohol, after his vehicle careened off the road. 

The truck that hit the motorcycle was driven by Thana Pongpattanakornm 42, who waited for police at the scene.

Police said Sarawut and Kantapat, who were on duty, were alerted by police radio to intercept the pickup driven by Itthiphum as it headed towards the Indochina Intersection.

After the 8km chase, the two policemen caught up with Itthiphum and told him to stop but he refused and tried to speed through the red light at the intersection.

Itthiphum’s truck crashed into Thana’s pickup, which spun and hit the police motorcycle.

After his arrest, a tearful Itthiphum said he wanted to avoid a blood alcohol test and he also feared arrest because he bought his truck three weeks and it did not have a licence plate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317319

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-06

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

a tearful Itthiphum said he wanted to avoid a blood alcohol test and he also feared arrest because he bought his truck three weeks and it did not have a licence plate

this guy is a real ace; wonder what percent is like this that we share the roads with

Maybe if they had cars as in other civilized countries... add to that radars and regular patrols and maybe... just maybe things like this would become less frequent.

Two on a motorcycle giving chase is downright ridiculous.

Condolences to the cops family, but....

That tells me he wasn't wearing a helmet, as I've seen so many of them who don't. 

I was in a serious accident back in January, caused by an ignorant Thai who simply pulled out in front of me on an open highway without looking.  Totally destroyed my new CB300f.  When the cops arrived, one of them picked up my helmet and asked me how much it cost.  I told him "over 5,000 baht."  He nodded and told me: "That money probably just saved your life."

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Maybe if they had cars as in other civilized countries... add to that radars and regular patrols and maybe... just maybe things like this would become less frequent.

The other issue is if the law was being enforced well there would be a lot less drunken lunatics taking their chances. 

There is no doubt that rigorous enforcement reduces offending. RIP the officer and damnation to the drunken driver. 

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

That tells me he wasn't wearing a helmet, as I've seen so many of them who don't. 

I was in a serious accident back in January, caused by an ignorant Thai who simply pulled out in front of me on an open highway without looking.  Totally destroyed my new CB300f.  When the cops arrived, one of them picked up my helmet and asked me how much it cost.  I told him "over 5,000 baht."  He nodded and told me: "That money probably just saved your life."

Even a helmet that cost 1,000 baht can save your life. Not having a helmet means that probably the police have no order of discipline in there ranks as how to dress safely or drive a motor bike in a chase.

4 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Two on a speeding motor bike with no helmets or proper car chase experience is just double dumbness.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

After his arrest, a tearful Itthiphum said he wanted to avoid a blood alcohol test and he also feared arrest because he bought his truck three weeks and it did not have a licence plate.

Yet another moronic excuse.

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

One to drive and one to shoot

Yet another moronic excuse.

Absolutely.
Doing wrong and then don't have the balls to stand for it.
Now he killed one policeman.
Wonder if he will suffer from that for his lifetime or just thinking it wasn't my fault.

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

Even a helmet that cost 1,000 baht can save your life. Not having a helmet means that probably the police have no order of discipline in there ranks as how to dress safely or drive a motor bike in a chase.

Were they wearing crash hats or not ? Looking at the remains of their bike it might not of made much difference , I don't go out of my soi without a crash hat when on my bike . As for ....he wanted to avoid a blood test . I wonder why .

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

A spinning vehicle combined with forward momentum can puncture or crush a helmet, and cause a fatal injury.  Also, the inertia can cause the brain to slam the skull causing an aneurysm,  arterial swelling, bursting and death. It doesn't take much force if a person already has an aneurysm formed in the brain.

Edited by Kabula

2 hours ago, Deez said:

One to drive and one to shoot

A few years ago the LOS army was showing their new army tactics for the battle field and actually showed a 250 cc motorcycle driven by a driver in body armor with his "Gunner" standing in the pegs in the back shooting his automatic rifle down range.This has to be the height of the army stupidness.Obviously their leaders have never experienced battle outside of a video game.

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this guy is a real ace; wonder what percent is like this that we share the roads with

..you can't wai properly if your crying..poor officer and family.

5 hours ago, sanukjim said:

Here in Perth most of the bike riders happily pay over A$700 for a good helmet

Motorcycles are the fastest way to get around. Very few people pull over for emergency vehicles.

I do agree 2 on a motorcycle is not the best way to persue someone

11 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Two on a bike chasing a truck.

It's difficult to feel sorry for them.

2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Unless it is a major felony you do not chase a car or motorcycle what is the point. just to many stupid post

The reason they gave chase is it happened in Thailand, hands up those who dont know what the end game was going to be