Making a Will

stament

I looked through the family section on this but want to ask specifics related to Chiang Mai.

I understand that the will must be registered with the local Amphur.  Can anyone who has done a will in CM and registered it with the Amphur advise on the exact procedure and requirements.

I/We have yet to write our will and wish to do that when I am in CM next week, or at least start the process. Our plan is to have 2 wills, one for the Thai assets and one for the foreign assets. This seems to be the recommended approach from what I read.

Specifically posting this in the CM forum as I want to do this in CM and I know this forum has the most helpful posters too ?

Thanks in anticipation

4 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

A will may be registered with the Amphur; but it does not have to be  under Thai law. Registration is just one option. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows what benefit (if any) there is to registering a Will with a government office (amphur or otherwise).  I have a Will prepared by a Thai lawyer here in Chiangmai and the Will is not registered anywhere.  I understand that, subsequent to my taking a dirt nap (or, more precisely, my personal addition to the particulate matter of CM's air), my executor and heir will file my Will with the local probate court to begin the probate process (and that no prior registration is required).

Edited by CMBob

As I was given to understand.

When the amphur is informed of my death by the friend who is 'Executor' of my will, they will place a notice on the appropriate board at the Amphur, that anyone with a claim against my estate, has a month to do so then my will can be opened and acted on.

john 

8 hours ago, CMBob said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows what benefit (if any) there is to registering a Will with a government office (amphur or otherwise).  I have a Will prepared by a Thai lawyer here in Chiangmai and the Will is not registered anywhere.  I understand that, subsequent to my taking a dirt nap (or, more precisely, my personal addition to the particulate matter of CM's air), my executor and heir will file my Will with the local probate court to begin the probate process (and that no prior registration is required).

Bob,

From my research, registering a will with the Amphur provides a higher level of recognition that the will was executed by the deceased. This would be a benefit if there was an expectation that others displeased by the deceased wishes might challenge it. The more complicated the family structure and types and location of assets might warrant registering the will. 

You know me personally Bob so feel free to call me or send an IM if you want further discussion or info. 

7 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Bob,

From my research, registering a will with the Amphur provides a higher level of recognition that the will was executed by the deceased. This would be a benefit if there was an expectation that others displeased by the deceased wishes might challenge it. The more complicated the family structure and types and location of assets might warrant registering the will. 

You know me personally Bob so feel free to call me or send an IM if you want further discussion or info. 

I also have a will, prepared by a lawyer, and not registered at the amphur.  The cost of the very simple will was 2,000 thb,

In my opinion, registering at the amphur or not would not completely protect an estate.  There are laws in Thailand, I'm sure,  which spell out the procedures for taking care of things upon death.

3 minutes ago, hml367 said:

I also have a will, prepared by a lawyer, and not registered at the amphur.  The cost of the very simple will was 2,000 thb,

In my opinion, registering at the amphur or not would not completely protect an estate.  There are laws in Thailand, I'm sure,  which spell out the procedures for taking care of things upon death.

Registering a will at the amphur does provide a degree of protection from challenges more so than if not- specifically a challenge of the will not being the will of the deceased.

The procedures are detailed in the Family Law Codes and there are 4 principle methods of what constitutes a legal will, the rights enjoyed by family members if a will is not in place, etc. 

In fact, there is no legal requirement that a will be prepared by or with the assistance of an attorney. 

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

Why bother with them? I went today got retirement extension, got re-entry permit and did 90 day report, in and out in 65 minutes, no visa agent.

^^^^^^always got a answer ,  rarely right  ,   and never on topic

best bet Stamsy,    is a  reputable lawyer ,   as post  # 8   rightly   suggests     and will not cost  a arm or leg,   and he/she  will dot or the eyes and tees for you, did my 15 yrs back  but  my Lawyer has since retired  ,so unable to give you a heads up  in that dept,,    but we all carry different baggage   ,hence a  reputable lawyer iis the best bet

its a Donavan late arvo to all

Edited by evenstevens

i could assist you there for free

my family are very skilled in writing wills

my great /great /grandfather was sent to Au  penal colony  /for foraging a will

but there is always a black sheep in the family 

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Why bother with them? I went today got retirement extension, got re-entry permit and did 90 day report, in and out in 65 minutes, no visa agent.

I expect to the same in about two weeks time, with the exception of 90-day which I did this week by post. Just like every year - never a hassle at all, in and out in an hour or two.