Beyond The Mountains … Are Not Just Green Paddies

snoop1130

Beyond The Mountains … Are Not Just Green Paddies

written by Rogen Garcia

1-7.png

When you are asked about Thailand, most people think of stunning beaches, beautiful temples, ancient ruins and lively bars. Its tourist attractions are so popular that millions of tourists flock to Thailand every year. So many tourists that you see foreigners travelling around almost everywhere in the country.

Well, maybe except Isaan.

Isaan is mostly skipped by tourists because they thought that the place is just a “stretch of boring, green rice fields” or as the locals say, “a place of mountains and rice fields”. In fact, you might not find any foreigner wandering around there. It is like you are back in time when Thailand is still untouched by modernity and not yet discovered by the tourists.

So if you are tired of the fast paced life and the congested traffic of the cities, you might want to pay a visit this wonderful area. A breath of a fresh air and a laid back, relaxed provincial scenery are all you need to wind down your pace of life in the city.

I would like to share a list of must see places in Isaan.

Khao Yai National Park

The name Khao Yai literally means Big Mountain and it lives up to its name. It is Thailand’s oldest and one of the largest national parks. It is also one of the most visited places by both local and foreign tourists alike. You might say that this place doesn’t belong to the “off the beaten path” list because of its popularity.

It is quite true. There was heavy traffic at the entrance when we got there. In Chao Por Khao Yai, the hillside temple for the spirit of the mountain, both tourists and the devout alike were crowding inside and around the temple to take pictures or pray. But drive for 30 minutes more and you will see the vast grasslands and the protected wildlife sauntering around. Another 20 minutes and you will arrive at the viewpoint where you can enjoy the breathtaking views of the mountains and the jungle. But be careful, some naughty little monkeys are always on alert to snatch your food (or belongings) whilst you’re not looking. A few more minutes of driving and you will arrive at the camping ground. From there, you can trek through the forest for about an hour and you will be rewarded with the beautiful waterfalls. You might even be lucky when you catch a sight of a free roaming Asian elephant. We were only able to see their marked paths, the trees they uprooted, and their footprints on the side of the mountain. To see how devastatingly strong these elephants are and are still very adept in climbing the side of the mountains made me respect these gentle and majestic animals more.

What’s great on this trip is that you’ll have the chance to commune with nature and appreciate its unspoilt beauty. Signal reception is weak up there in the mountains so that’s also a plus because you are not distracted anymore by incessant notifications and alerts. You can focus more on observing and enjoying the nature around you.

Full Story: http://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/beyond-mountains-not-just-green-paddies/

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-6-14

On 14/06/2017 at 6:34 PM, ben2talk said:

Green Paddies?

I thought those were called 'Lephrechauns'.

So there are a lot of Irish folks hiding in the boonies?

Not quite.....a green Paddie referres to his complection the morning after a feed of Guinness the night before......I should know...."I was that man". ...555

Edited by dotpoom

I thought Isaan starts at the Korat Plateau? Khao Yai is significantly closer to Bangkok. If you want to see the real Isaan, why not head to the large dams in the area with their little food cabins on it? Been to Kalasin, absolutely beautiful.

14 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Loei is one of the most beautiful provinces in Thailand and it is in Isaan. 

I agree with you one hundred percent, have lived here for the past 4 years.  But gee, don't go telling everyone, there are certain types we can do without because at the moment it is unspoilt and one of the best kept secrets.:wai:

4 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

I agree with you one hundred percent, have lived here for the past 4 years.  But gee, don't go telling everyone, there are certain types we can do without because at the moment it is unspoilt and one of the best kept secrets.:wai:

I thought you had an outbreak of rabies recently ( in Kalasin)

2 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

I thought you had an outbreak of rabies recently ( in Kalasin)

Sorry wouldn't have clue about that, I was talking about Loei Province, not Kalisan province.  Although both are in Isaan, totally two separate areas.  Just goes to show that it is still a well kept secret.  The two cities are about 4 hours and almost 300 kilometres apart.:wai:

14 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Sorry wouldn't have clue about that, I was talking about Loei Province, not Kalisan province.  Although both are in Isaan, totally two separate areas.  Just goes to show that it is still a well kept secret.  The two cities are about 4 hours and almost 300 kilometres apart.:wai:

So sorry my friend, no offence intended.

i am (currently) a Khorat resident and whilst fully understanding the joy of peace and beauty that can be found up here in Issan frankly I would welcome an outbreak of rabies or that disease that created the walking dead just to relieve the boredom. 

Bit it too quiet for my liking and have taken it on the chin for four years already...

as they say, horses for courses 

cheers

TDL

2 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

So sorry my friend, no offence intended.

i am (currently) a Khorat resident and whilst fully understanding the joy of peace and beauty that can be found up here in Issan frankly I would welcome an outbreak of rabies or that disease that created the walking dead just to relieve the boredom. 

Bit it too quiet for my liking and have taken it on the chin for four years already...

as they say, horses for courses 

cheers

TDL

No offence taken in the slightest.  Yes the quietness does catch up every now and again but then I am a homebody now so, as you say, horses for courses.

Regards:wai: