Video: Who is to blame for this? Lucky escape for couple on expressway

webfact

On 2017-6-17 at 5:58 PM, Bastos60 said:

The MB driver was completely in the wrong, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did.

If the video car caused an accident then trying to stop him to exchange details might be somewhat justified.

I just did this in my Mercedes to a vehicle that cut me off. I'll upload a video tonight. I'm at Chonburi police station at the moment, no penalty for me, vehicle I stopped got fined.

Over 100k of damages, if I didn't stop him my insurer would have to pay and I can expect a big premium increase next year. Since I stopped him he was identified and his insurer will pay.

Edited by wprime

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, wprime said:

Here, I did the same thing today after a truck cut me off. We both went to the police station, showed the video, no penalty for me at all. Fine for him.

What are you doing stopping in the far left hand lane and for what reason.???

Some people / drivers could slam into the back of you if you stop your car in the middle of the road for no reason.

This is what also causes accidents sometimes.

Meantime the large commercial truck did exactly what most Thai drivers commonly do.

They put their blinker on ( but not always) and make their sudden move while relying on everyone else to witness their move and give way or accommodate their reckless move with a: " I am making my move regardless of how reckless or dangerous it is, so look out everyone and give way and accommodate my move".. all done with the attitude that they have done nothing wrong and based on: "Everyone else drives the same way also" ..so it is OK and all part of how we drive in Thailand.......CRASH...OUCH!....DEAD

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

On 6/20/2017 at 7:18 AM, gemguy said:

I was referring to the other persons example of how the laws were enforced in his country....you know...a civilised country...lol

Thailand???......is another matter....

Why do people like you bother to live in so-called 'uncivilised' countries then?

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

You should be banned for life.Disgusting petulance.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I didn't do it out of anger, I did it to exchange details. He clearly wasn't going to stop. Insurer estimated over 100,000 baht of damages.

2 hours ago, gemguy said:

What are you doing stopping in the far left hand lane and for what reason.???

Some people / drivers could slam into the back of you if you stop your car in the middle of the road for no reason.

This is what also causes accidents sometimes.

Meantime the large commercial truck did exactly what most Thai drivers commonly do.

They put their blinker on ( but not always) and make their sudden move while relying on everyone else to witness their move and give way or accommodate their reckless move with a: " I am making my move regardless of how reckless or dangerous it is, so look out everyone and give way and accommodate my move".. all done with the attitude that they have done nothing wrong and based on: "Everyone else drives the same way also" ..so it is OK and all part of how we drive in Thailand.......CRASH...OUCH!....DEAD

Cheers

I was stopping the truck to exchange details. When he cut in a massive rock came off the back of his load and dented my A pillar along with heaps of other rocks that chipped my paint and windshield.

Edited by wprime

Here, I did the same thing today after a truck cut me off. We both went to the police station, showed the video, no penalty for me at all. Fine for him.

I know this route very well, between motorway and Sukhumvit road bypass at Chonburi. I hate driving nearby trucks, poorly maintained and idiots handling this massive vehicle. I'm pretty sure the roads will be much safer if these drivers are banned for driving. Hogging the right lane even though the road is clear, driving faster than car and cutting everywhere. Pure idiots.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Hmm,cant hear a 100K bang .

The costs are because so many panels were damaged - bonnet, roof, front bumper, A pillar, front passenger door, roof, windshield, left light cover, left front bumper and a few more - all have rock chips now, there were about 10 things listed on the claim form. It's a 5.5M baht car, paint jobs aren't exactly cheap. Have a look at the video closely, you can see a whole bunch of rocks came flying out of his truck as he cut in, he's carrying rocks and he hasn't covered his load at all. It would not have been pleasant for those two fixing their motorbike in the right lane at 1:02 in the video if he stayed in the right lane.

18 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I know this route very well, between motorway and Sukhumvit road bypass at Chonburi. I hate driving nearby trucks, poorly maintained and idiots handling this massive vehicle. I'm pretty sure the roads will be much safer if these drivers are banned for driving. Hogging the right lane even though the road is clear, driving faster than car and cutting everywhere. Pure idiots.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah that's the road.

10 hours ago, wprime said:

I didn't do it out of anger, I did it to exchange details. He clearly wasn't going to stop. Insurer estimated over 100,000 baht of damages.

I was stopping the truck to exchange details. When he cut in a massive rock came off the back of his load and dented my A pillar along with heaps of other rocks that chipped my paint and windshield.

Ok.. I can understand that ....but...lets say while you stopped, for that particular reason, and in effect blocking that lane and along comes another vehicle and slams into you from behind and does a whole lot of damage to both vehicles...... and has it all recorded on the dash cam...

Would you take responsibility for stopping where you are not allowed to stop and or not supposed to be stopping and in effect created a dangerous condition resulting in an accident.

Just curious to know because there are more than a few road and highway accidents that did occur because someone stopped on the highway rather than safely pull over somewhere so as to not imped the flow of traffic and not chance such an event from occurring.

In the USA and Canada there are specific laws that state: Do not stop in the middle of the road or even on the side of a highway or freeway unless it is for a valid emergency reason.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

12 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Ok.. I can understand that ....but...lets say while you stopped, for that particular reason, and while you stopped and in effect blocking that lane and along comes another vehicle and slams into you from behind and does a whole lot of damage to both vehicles...... and has it all on the dash cam...

Would you take responsibility for stopping where you are not allowed to stop and or not supposed to be stopping and in effect created a dangerous condition resulting in an accident.

Just curious to know because there are more than a few road and highway accidents that did occur because someone stopped on the highway rather than safely pull over somewhere so as to not imped the flow of traffic.

Cheers

In Thailand if you drive into the back of a stopped vehicle it's your fault unless the stopped vehicle had just entered the lane before stopping and it was not reasonable for you to have braked in time. It doesn't matter if they're in the right lane of an expressway - it's still 100% the fault of the vehicle who hit it. If you drive enough on the highways here you'll know they usually just stop wherever the crash was, on motorways this is very commonly in the right lane so people are usually prepared for this and slow down accordingly. In any case, they don't usually go more than 30km/h around this particular bend and as it's elevated the truck (which was directly behind me) could be seen from a mile away.

9 hours ago, wprime said:

In Thailand if you drive into the back of a stopped vehicle it's your fault unless the stopped vehicle had just entered the lane before stopping and it was not reasonable for you to have braked in time. It doesn't matter if they're in the right lane of an expressway - it's still 100% the fault of the vehicle who hit it. If you drive enough on the highways here you'll know they usually just stop wherever the crash was, on motorways this is very commonly in the right lane so people are usually prepared for this and slow down accordingly. In any case, they don't usually go more than 30km/h around this particular bend and as it's elevated the truck (which was directly behind me) could be seen from a mile away.

That rule applies in near every country when vehicles come to a stop under normal conditions and traffic flow.

There is another video within the last week showing a Mercedes Benz driver cutting off another vehicle ( with a Dash cam ) and forcing them to stop in the left hand lane so the Benz driver could teach them a lesson and let them know he was angry with them while deliberately and purposely stopped in front of them and blocking them while flashing his brake lights at them.

Then ...Wham...the cam vehicle is hit from the rear, on the drivers rear right hand side and a large commercial truck /  lorry flies by after clipping the cam vehicle pretty hard, while that vehicle is full stopped, when it should not be stopped like that.

That lorry driver is probably speeding somewhat but even if the vehicle was doing the speed limit on the highway (Probably 80 to 100 Km per hour) and suddenly there is a vehicle stopping... "just up ahead" and for no apparent reason.

After watching the video you can understand the Lorry driver had to quickly veer around the back of the cam vehicle but still clipped the back of the cam vehicle pretty hard.

In other words, the lorry driver had almost no room to maneuver but managed to make a sudden move because he was forced to when there was no apparent reason for the 2 vehicles ahead of him suddenly coming to a stop.

Yes, we understand all drivers approaching from behind would have to stop and by law have to stop when traffic flow in front of them comes to a stop.....but in that case the Mercedes Benz deliberately and in effect deliberately set in motion a dangerous situation by deliberately cutting off the cam vehicle and making the cam vehicle stop for his own selfish angry purpose while an accident did happen...not maybe or almost...... but an accident did happen......

If you understand the important point?? 

Meantime, those kinds of scenarios, as I described,  often happen when there is no apparent reason for a vehicle to stop in the middle of the road , so to speak, while creating a condition that results in an accident.

It is for that reason they have a road and highway rule / law,  stating that you are forbidden to stop in the middle of the highway for no apparent or obvious reason and thus creating a dangerous condition.

Yes of course if you have had an accident and can not move out of the way or your vehicle is broken down and you could not pull over safely to the side of the road then those reasons are valid...but to deliberately and suddenly stop in a lane that has traffic flow coming from behind for no valid reason is considered illegal in many countries because of the danger it creates and vastly increases the chance of an accident happening.

Road rage and minor mishaps  and difference of opinion are not accepted as valid reasons to abruptly stop in the middle of the road while creating an increased chance of an accident.

Just pointing out the laws that do exist and exist for good reasons....so do not turn all angry on me....lol

Cheers

Yeah that's this thread. In that video the lorry had 9 seconds from when the camera vehicle came in front to bring his truck to a stop so he had more than sufficient time (a fully loaded semi could've stopped in time). He has an obligation to adjust his speed to a safe following distance from a brief reactionary/brake delay after the point that the camera vehicle came in front, he obviously wasn't driving with due care (or his brakes failed).

The thing that can make the MB driver in that video have liability is malicious intent. Without malicious intent it's just another vehicle stopped in the left lane of an expressway so the vehicle in the back is at fault.

Stopping for any damage caused to another vehicle is not only a reasonable reason, it's legally required (Sect 78 LTA iirc) so vehicles are required to drive with the reasonable expectation of encountering stopped vehicles. Not expecting a stopped vehicle on an highway is not a reasonable defense for rear-ending it.

I understand this might not be the law in US/Canada - I know there was a case in Canada where a young lady was sentenced to jail after a motorbike drove into the back of her stopped car but this is Thailand - the laws are different here and you need to drive in accordance with the local laws.

1 hour ago, wprime said:

Yeah that's this thread. In that video the lorry had 9 seconds from when the camera vehicle came in front to bring his truck to a stop so he had more than sufficient time (a fully loaded semi could've stopped in time). He has an obligation to adjust his speed to a safe following distance from a brief reactionary/brake delay after the point that the camera vehicle came in front, he obviously wasn't driving with due care (or his brakes failed).

The thing that can make the MB driver in that video have liability is malicious intent. Without malicious intent it's just another vehicle stopped in the left lane of an expressway so the vehicle in the back is at fault.

Stopping for any damage caused to another vehicle is not only a reasonable reason, it's legally required (Sect 78 LTA iirc) so vehicles are required to drive with the reasonable expectation of encountering stopped vehicles. Not expecting a stopped vehicle on an highway is not a reasonable defense for rear-ending it.

I understand this might not be the law in US/Canada - I know there was a case in Canada where a young lady was sentenced to jail after a motorbike drove into the back of her stopped car but this is Thailand - the laws are different here and you need to drive in accordance with the local laws.

Good points, but it is quite common for car drivers to brake (rear light comes on) to slow down and very uncommon to stop on a highway (sunny and clear condition prevailing, of course.) There is no way that one can expect that one is going to do a full stop on a highway on a clear day,...  as this rarely happens (rarely as close to infinity). Travelling by car would be extremely inefficient if one had to drive expecting any car driver to apply brakes (on a highway) on a clear day to do a full-stop? Similarly, there is an infinitesimal chance that a terrorist will explode, should I --we-- stop going out of my --our-- house too? 

The case for the MB is moot at best. It is VERY clear that there was malicious intent. Why do you even bring this into the conversation? It does not apply here.

"Stopping for any damaged vehicle ..." Are you sure there is not a common sense law that state that if you can stop in a safe zone where you are not going to be killed? Following laws blindly can lead to death. You might be right, but if you are dead, is it really worth it?

7 hours ago, wprime said:

Ah wrong...as in wrong thinking. ...

As you can see there was an accident caused by what you are implying is perfectly acceptable driving conduct while it would not have happened if the fool in the Mercedes Benz had not done what he did do ...and thinking the same or similar to what you are saying.

** It is like saying: You are sitting on a bench beside a foot path and you decide you want to stretch your legs and extend them out and right into the pathway of all the pedestrian foot traffic passing by you and then you wonder why some people trip over your feet and legs that you placed right in the middle of their travel.**

I am talking defensive driving conduct and you are ignoring the practise in favor of reckless driving conduct.

Just because it is Thailand we are not required to drive recklessly,  like so many Thai people do, and in effect that is what you are implying throughout your retort.

OK...have it your way  and when someone plows into the back of you because you do suddenly stop where ever it suits you or another vehicle abruptly cuts you off and you have to come to a screeching halt.... or someone just suddenly stops in front of you for no apparent or valid reason and you crash into them..... or a motorcycle slams into your side when they speed and zip around a stopped vehicle while you are legally turning into a Soi.... or all the motorcycles bozos that drive at you in your lane  and forcing you off to the side and or the impatient car drivers that do the same and try to pass everyone and use your lane and suddenly coming head on at you in your lane and force you off to the side ....or the ones that abruptly do a U Turn right in front of you and cuts into your path and you crash into them so hard that your spine is broken and you are basically screwed for life..... then I can only surmise you will of course just accept this accident as part of driving in accordance with the local laws....you know the ones that are continually ignored in favor of driving as they please and doing as they please.

Thanks, but no thanks ......I will not be listening to your driving advice...that is for sure....LOL

And do not be all angry because I do not agree with you on reckless driving habits or reckless driving conduct.

Cheers   

Edited by gemguy

5 hours ago, gemguy said:

Ah wrong...as in wrong thinking. ...

As you can see there was an accident caused by what you are implying is perfectly acceptable driving conduct while it would not have happened if the fool in the Mercedes Benz had not done what he did do ...and thinking the same or similar to what you are saying.

In other words what I said is entirely correct and you can't fault it so you choose to argue things that you think I mean but didn't actually say.

I'm just stating the legalities here and why the MB driver likely won't face any penalty. I'm not trying to imply anything like what you're arguing against. I for one think he was road raging, I just don't see much luck in a legal claim against him unless he admits to having malicious intent.

18 hours ago, wprime said:

In other words what I said is entirely correct and you can't fault it so you choose to argue things that you think I mean but didn't actually say.

I'm just stating the legalities here and why the MB driver likely won't face any penalty. I'm not trying to imply anything like what you're arguing against. I for one think he was road raging, I just don't see much luck in a legal claim against him unless he admits to having malicious intent.

Whatever you think my friend.

Meantime, I still choose not to listen to your bad advice and your way of thinking about how to drive in Thailand...lol

Cheers