Stopping for pedestrians at zebra crossings - Can Thai Rath change Thai driving habits?

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, metisdead said:

An inflammatory post and a reply have been removed. 

An off topic post about the laws regarding Zebra crossings in the UK has been removed as well as a reply. 

Beg to disagree. I think it was relevant and was not at all off-topic. The law in Thailand was based on the law in Europe (UK as I recall), so the UK law shows what the Thai law and practice should be. A look at the actual Thai law would be helpful, the law is not defective, enforcement of the law is defective.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:55 PM, Wiggy said:

Many people don't stop at those either, which is even more dangerous. I see it almost every morning on Rama 3.

Those should be the first lights to get cameras for ticketing violators.

38 minutes ago, Trumpish said:

Beg to disagree. I think it was relevant and was not at all off-topic. The law in Thailand was based on the law in Europe (UK as I recall), so the UK law shows what the Thai law and practice should be. A look at the actual Thai law would be helpful, the law is not defective, enforcement of the law is defective.

I don't find any mention of "The law in Thailand was based on the law in Europe (UK as I recall)" mentioned in the ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,B.E. 2522 (1979).1.  In that aspect, Europe or UK traffic laws are irrelevant here. 

Just now, metisdead said:

I don't find any mention of "The law in Thailand was based on the law in Europe (UK as I recall)" mentioned in the ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,B.E. 2522 (1979).1.  In that aspect, Europe or UK traffic laws are irrelevant here. 

Hmmm. Pretty common knowledge that HMK Rama 5 

3 minutes ago, metisdead said:

I wouldn'rt expect the Thai statute to mention where they copied the law from, nor in fact any country's statutes. Nevertheless, the Nation had an article on this which suggests the parallel between UK law and Thai law. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30250437

I was of the opinion that HMK Rama 5, a known Europhile, had zebra crossings painted on Thai roads after observing them in-situ while on a trip to Europe (UK as I was informed). This is anecdotal of course, but I was told this by a Thai student, whom I would expect to be better informed than me. Maybe.

I don't know what the TV policies are, but a comparison between Thai law and international law seems to me to be extremely relevant, and indeed, such comparisons are routinely made in other threads without being deleted. Consistency is always to be desired..

But I give it a very few months and I expect the point will be moot anyway.

Anyway, that's all from me on the matter, I will always try to keep within TV guidance for members.

6 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

in my province , you could pull up a chair by a stop sign and sit there all day long and not see one person/vehicle stop

I don't suppose the Thai chapter relating to stopping at stop signs quotes the country and law they copied it from either. Might be an important point, posts might be deleted.

20 hours ago, hobz said:

It's not that simple... Some people want to stop, but it's too dangerous because it's easy to get hit from vehicles behind ... And even if you stop in one lane it doesn't mean the vehicles in the other lane will stop... so the pedestrians get stuck waiting or get hit ... there's a couple of horrible videos on youtube ... 

Am i saying that I like it? Hell no.. But dont blame the drivers...Blame the police for their complete failure and letting it degrade to this point where it looks pretty hard to make a change...

Here's an example 

It is the fault of the drivers. They all know the law. The police are only there to catch what should be a few who disobey. But I agree the police and the government should have done a lot more a long time ago so that Thailand's roads did not become the carnage it is today.

The answer to the headline is NO. Only Thai W(raith) of the Government could change driving habits. But there must be a will to do so, otherwise current bad driving habits will continue unabated!

Is there the will? :whistling: I don't see it.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, darksidedog said:

Thai Rath could put up quite literally hundreds of these videos, covering all manner of road safety and etiquette, but I doubt it will help much. Thais are way too selfish and shaving a few extra seconds off their journey is too important to them.

And they can't handle the idea that another driver is going to get in front of them.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, chickenslegs said:

A couple of times, when I have stopped to allow pedestrians to cross, motorcycles and cars have passed me on either side and nearly wiped out the pedestrians as they stepped onto the crossing.

This even happened once at a light controlled crossing on Pattaya beach road.

Yep, happens nearly every time... the pinheaded, no helmet wearing thai male goes zooming past, clueless as to why cars have suddenly stopped... OR, he knows why they have stopped and doesn't care because its me me me thinking.

Bottom line, too many thai drivers here lacking what I call AKC.  Awareness, Knowledge and Consideration.  

Real simple solution folks;

Just have to have "Crosswalk Guards " at many of the busiest crosswalks with colorful reflective outfits and  large hand held signs with one side red, saying Stop, and one side green saying Go......also having loud whistles in their mouths.

I am thinking Cute Girls on roller skates...lol

Kindly allow me to cite a ridiculous jurisprudence in my homeland here!...tiny weeny country not far from Europe...

- a motorist  stops at a zebra crossing as everybody does here..fine!..

- he gives a sign to the pedestrian to cross, fine!

- the pedestrian crosses.

- another car comming from the left (or right side) does not see the pedestrian as the vision is blocked by the angle of the first car that stopped.

- thus the pedestrian is hit by the second car who obviously did not think (or care) that if the first car stopped,  it was for a reason.

Court ruling obviously convicted the 2nd car.....but also the first car as the court ruled that the driver of the first car who stopped, let the pedestrian pass and waved him to do so, well...this driver should have taken all "necessary steps" to be sure the way was safe and, if not,  should have just stopped and not waived to the pedestrian to pass!!!!!....

Welcome the the world of law in the 21st century...

Nothing better then a trafic light, that stops cars if a pedestrian presses the buton and gives the pedestrian, right of way to on a zebra crossing.

On 6/18/2017 at 3:46 PM, YetAnother said:

in my province , you could pull up a chair by a stop sign and sit there all day long and not see one person/vehicle stop

I know you would love to do that, sitting in your deckchair all day long, shaking your head and grumbling to yourself.