Since Brexit vote, Europeans warm again to EU

webfact

19 minutes ago, carstenp said:

And Denmark. We pay more to EU than UK do  per person and we are only 6 mill people

So dont complain :)

This i why i think UK shout them self in the foot.  Thanks for the link

As a non-Eurozone nation, Denmark isn't liable for loans to Greece.

2 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The uk has nevertheless very much profit from the eu. In the average income lies the uk on the second place to luxembourg. Whether a brexit improves the income situation? I 

doubt that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Union_member_states_by_average_wage

But that income figure doesn't take into account the fact that in virtually all of the higher wage countries university education is much cheaper if not actually free. In fact, in some of these countries students are actually given a stipend to study. In addition, the level of income inequality in the UK is higher than in all of the countries in the EU with the exception of Estonia.

That said, leaving the EU will do nothing to correct that situation.

2 hours ago, carstenp said:

And Denmark. We pay more to EU than UK do  per person and we are only 6 mill people

Well said Carsten! Ta' ska' du ha'

3 hours ago, carstenp said:

The UK as one member pays a hell of a lot more than Denmark. The EU is made up of member countries. As one member country the UK is in the top 3 of contributors. Per head doesn't matter. The UK leaving the EU is a massive deal to the union. Do you honestly believe if the union had to throw one member out ( obviously b4 brexit) that they would consider the UK over smaller contributors and countries  like Denmark? 

Im a reluctant brexiteer now ( was a remainer but got over it) but I am really fed up with the rhetoric from some EU members politicians and Eurocrats and also a few On here.  Believe it or not but brexit is a massive deal for the EU as much as the UK!

Edited by goldenbrwn1

32 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

The UK as one member pays a hell of a lot more than Denmark. The EU is made up of member countries. As one member country the UK is in the top 3 of contributors. Per head doesn't matter. The UK leaving the EU is a massive deal to the union. Do you honestly believe if the union had to throw one member out ( obviously b4 brexit) that they would consider the UK over smaller contributors and countries  like Denmark? 

Payments into the Eu minus funds received from the Eu will result in a net recipient or a net payer.

Brexiteers always act as if they only paying and receiving nothing for it.

2015 a uk person paid 176 Euro per head net.

In theory, you could save this money, but would lose free market access. Int. Companys would emigrate (eu institutions, airbus, banks, insurance companies, car manufacturers, Research projects, etc.) Probably more unemployed, less tax revenue, lower bip. And the pensions of ex uk eu commissioners would also have to be paid.

The brexit referendum is unfortunately characterized by populism and incredible lack of information.

14 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Payments into the Eu minus funds received from the Eu will result in a net recipient or a net payer.

Brexiteers always act as if they only paying and receiving nothing for it.

2015 a uk person paid 176 Euro per head net.

In theory, you could save this money, but would lose free market access. Int. Companys would emigrate (eu institutions, airbus, banks, insurance companies, car manufacturers, Research projects, etc.) Probably more unemployed, less tax revenue, lower bip. And the pensions of ex uk eu commissioners would also have to be paid.

The brexit referendum is unfortunately characterized by populism and incredible lack of information.

Ummmmm....? Thanks. I will take the part back about where I said that the UK doesn't get anything back ...oh sorry I didn't say that. I think my point was that overall the UK as a 'single member in the European union' pays more than Denmark as a 'single member in the European union' pays into the kitty overall.....and thanks for your theory.  ? Let's hope you are wrong ??

Edited by goldenbrwn1

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Not the Danes I know.  I was there a couple of weeks ago and they think the Brits are nuts to leave!

I only know one Dane and he doesn't like it, so that's 100% of the Danes I know are against the EU.

5 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Ummmmm....? Thanks. I will take the part back about where I said that the UK doesn't get anything back ...oh sorry I didn't say that. I think my point was that overall the UK as a 'single member in the European union' pays more than Denmark as a 'single member in the European union' pays into the kitty overall.....and thanks for your theory.  ?

You are right.

Denmark paid 2015 per Head 140 Euro net. Uk person 176 euro net.

The net average monthly salarie in uk is  3166 euro. In denmark is 2906 euro.

In the UK, however, the distribution of income is much more spread than in Denmark.  Few are super rich and many have little. This is however an internal political problem of the UK and has nothing to do with the EU.

Gravy train for one and all

MEPs allowed to claim £120,000 in expenses without proof of how money is spent

A court heard EU officials don't want to saddle MEPs with an 'administrative burden' which would hamper their freedom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12182738/MEPs-allowed-to-claim-120000-in-expenses-without-proof-of-how-money-is-spent.html

11 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Good to see the EU/Brexit debate continuing in the same vein as always. :smile:

The irony is that many people who get so irate about it are the people who don't live in the UK anyway!  They choose to live thousands of miles away so what happens in Blighty has little effect on their lives.  For those of us with children who live in Britain it is far more relevant BUT of course anyone who carries a UK passport has an opinion that counts.

Don't forget one of the hardest groups hit by Brexit so far are those far flung UK expats dependent on UK income, hit hard by the devaluing of the pound. 

2 hours ago, bartender100 said:

A court heard EU officials don't want to saddle MEPs with an 'administrative burden' which would hamper their freedom

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12182738/MEPs-allowed-to-claim-120000-in-expenses-without-proof-of-how-money-is-spent.html

Totally agreed scandalous, its the sort of thing that should be reformed, just like the expenses scandal in the UK with MPs. Once these things come to light there is public pressure for them to be reformed and in most cases they are. 

One would think that this is the sort of thing Farage would be campaigning against but it appears him and his mates have joined in along with that lady in France.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/01/nigel-farage-among-ukip-meps-accused-of-misusing-eu-funds

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/31/eu-watchdog-asks-marine-le-pen-to-repay-339000-in-staff-salaries

6 hours ago, bartender100 said:

This article is unfortunately very undifferentiated.

An EU parliamentarian gets

9.327 Euro gross per month, minus, according to the country-specific income tax, health insurance and pension insurance
is for example 4.100 Euro net.

plus

Members of the European Parliament receive a so-called "general cost reimbursement" is 4.342 Euro per month.
The flat rate is tax-exempt, but the members of parliament can not raise any advertising costs.
The members of parliament use this flat rate in their constituencies for office rents, communication costs, etc.

plus

The daily allowance is € 306 and is available to members of the European Union every day he or she works in Brussels or Strasbourg. It is intended to cover the costs of living abroad, in particular the cost of accommodation, since trips to Brussels and Strasbourg are business trips.

plus

The European Parliament will make a monthly contribution of EUR 24.164 to each European Commissioner so that he or she can employ the necessary staff to carry out his / her mandate in Brussels, Strasbourg and his home country.
These funds are, of course, not given personally, but are managed by the parliamentary administration and by a tax adviser in a trusteeship. The use of funds is meticulously controlled by the European Parliament.
The travel expenses of the employees - e.g. For the trips from Brussels to Strasbourg and back as well as their accommodation costs in Strasbourg - are dispensed from these funds.
This money can not used for family members or a person close to family.

Whether this is too much is a matter of opinion.
I am surprised, however, that the Brexiters are not upset that, e.g. The football professionals get millions of euros a year for the silly kicking of a ball.

12 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Ummmmm....? Thanks. I will take the part back about where I said that the UK doesn't get anything back ...oh sorry I didn't say that. I think my point was that overall the UK as a 'single member in the European union' pays more than Denmark as a 'single member in the European union' pays into the kitty overall.....and thanks for your theory.  ? Let's hope you are wrong ??

Do you mean that per capita Danes pay less into the Eu than Britons or do you mean that Denmark the nation pays less than does the UK?

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

This article is unfortunately very undifferentiated.

An EU parliamentarian gets

9.327 Euro gross per month, minus, according to the country-specific income tax, health insurance and pension insurance
is for example 4.100 Euro net.

plus

Members of the European Parliament receive a so-called "general cost reimbursement" is 4.342 Euro per month.
The flat rate is tax-exempt, but the members of parliament can not raise any advertising costs.
The members of parliament use this flat rate in their constituencies for office rents, communication costs, etc.

plus

The daily allowance is € 306 and is available to members of the European Union every day he or she works in Brussels or Strasbourg. It is intended to cover the costs of living abroad, in particular the cost of accommodation, since trips to Brussels and Strasbourg are business trips.

plus

The European Parliament will make a monthly contribution of EUR 24.164 to each European Commissioner so that he or she can employ the necessary staff to carry out his / her mandate in Brussels, Strasbourg and his home country.
These funds are, of course, not given personally, but are managed by the parliamentary administration and by a tax adviser in a trusteeship. The use of funds is meticulously controlled by the European Parliament.
The travel expenses of the employees - e.g. For the trips from Brussels to Strasbourg and back as well as their accommodation costs in Strasbourg - are dispensed from these funds.
This money can not used for family members or a person close to family.

Whether this is too much is a matter of opinion.
I am surprised, however, that the Brexiters are not upset that, e.g. The football professionals get millions of euros a year for the silly kicking of a ball.

This is not news - Farage has been telling everyone about this unaccountable way for years!

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Does that seem unfair to you? Denmark's population is less than 6 million. The UK's is about 65 million.

No not at all. My point from my earlier post was that the UK is a very important member and all this EU beurocrat and even Thai visa members rhetoric about the UK will not be missed and it's no big deal for the EU is absolute nonsense . It's a huge deal for both parties.  Here's a good chart on net payments from each member. Denmarks net contributions is one of the highest but my point was not about net contributions.

IMG_0120.JPG

Edited by goldenbrwn1

40 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

No not at all. My point from my earlier post was that the UK is a very important member and all this EU beurocrat and even Thai visa members rhetoric about the UK will not be missed and it's no big deal for the EU is absolute nonsense . It's a huge deal for both parties.  Here's a good chart on net payments from each member. Denmarks net contributions is one of the highest but my point was not about net contributions.

IMG_0120.JPG

Thanks gb1

Below is the graph of total contributions (from the EU website http://ec.europa.eu/budget/figures/interactive/index_en.cfm).

I know there is a rebate but Blair already gave 40% of Thatcher's concession away for changes in the CAP, (never happened) and it looks like the rest will go soon. The French benefit much more from the CAP subsidies (not shown here).

5944e6db4fd06_EUcontrib.PNG.761f47a84f6115f702c91c8a5c459040.PNG

Edited by nauseus