Jump to content

Illegal operators in South Pattaya told they will have to pay for polluting the sea


webfact

Recommended Posts

Illegal operators in South Pattaya told they will have to pay for polluting the sea

 

6pm.jpg

Picture: Siamchon News

 

PATTAYA: -- Illegal operators in South Pattaya have been told they will have to take financial responsibility for clearing up the sea at the resort.

 

The move comes after a damning environment impact report was made public.

 

At a meeting yesterday the Pattaya authorities told them they were throwing almost 1000 cubic meters of filthy polluted water into the sea every day.

 

Not only does that have to stop but the businesses have to pay for the clean up and other work like sewage treatment to ensure the resort is made environmentally friendly.

 

Mayor Anan Charoenchaisri invited 101 South Pattaya businesses such as restaurants, entertainment places, hotels and other firms to the town hall yesterday.

 

The meeting was held after orders came from Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda to get something done about pollution at the resort.

 

Anan accepted that the people he had invited were essentially there illegally but moves to evict them since 1998 were still ongoing.

 

So as a practical measure in the meantime he said that the operators there would have to start paying for the pollution they had caused.

 

The operators were blamed for tossing 24,000 cubic meters of filth - mostly polluted water - into the sea every month. This was contained in an environment impact study conducted since February.

 

They were told they had made money from their businesses - now it was time to give back and start paying for the damage.

 

But despite the tough words the meeting came up with few concrete proposals.

 

A committee is being set up to do that, reported Siamchon News.

 

Source: Siamchon News

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's face it, if after almost 20 years you cannot evict them, then nothing short of a S44 decree will dislodge them. 

 

To remove them and demolish these businesses would have a sizeable financial impact on Pattaya and the owners of those businesses, most of whom are very influential people, so not likely to happen.

 

So maybe it is better to legalize them and the start of that process would be making them pony up for the cleanup.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

Let's face it, if after almost 20 years you cannot evict them, then nothing short of a S44 decree will dislodge them. 

 

To remove them and demolish these businesses would have a sizeable financial impact on Pattaya and the owners of those businesses, most of whom are very influential people, so not likely to happen.

 

So maybe it is better to legalize them and the start of that process would be making them pony up for the cleanup.

 

don't agree, it will have a positive effect on Pattaya and restore the beach/coast to what it should be, they have started the cleanup at Balihigh which was a dirty contaminated eyesore instead of an area of natural beauty, the west side of walking street should be next and restore the whole beachfront from North to South. I agree that there are powerful people that own these illegal businesses and the only authority that has the power to remove them are the current government, I think it is only a matter of time, I also think that the whole of beach road and the sea front should be pedestrian only with possibly a two way  tram system.

 

The whole beach front could be a pedestrian area of natural beauty right from the North to balihigh where they could build a proper marina and ferry port, all it takes is a little imagination. 

 

Like every other beachfront town/city in Thailand - the illegal encroachers need to be removed, get on with it and turn pattaya seafront into something nice and internationally acceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

".... moves to evict them since 1998 were still ongoing."

 Sounds like good, steady income for some "decision makers".

"Obstruction of justice" is a popular phrase these days. Does such a concept exist here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"At a meeting yesterday the Pattaya authorities told them they were throwing almost 1000 cubic meters of filthy polluted water into the sea every day.  Not only does that have to stop but the businesses have to pay for the clean up and other work like sewage treatment to ensure the resort is made environmentally friendly.  Mayor Anan Charoenchaisri invited 101 South Pattaya businesses such as restaurants, entertainment places, hotels and other firms to the town hall yesterday.  The meeting was held after orders came from Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda to get something done about pollution at the resort.  Anan accepted that the people he had invited were essentially there illegally but moves to evict them since 1998 were still ongoing."

 

Looks like pass-the-buck time!  The Pattaya authorities have been trying to evict these illegal businesses for the past 19 years.  But due to a constant flow of brown envelopes, has failed to do so.  They 've also failed to provide an environmentally system in the first place.  Now, the powers to be are demanding that the illegal businesses should foot the bill for the pollution they have caused.

 

I can see a list of top brass scapegoats to take the blame.  Whatever happens, these illegal businesses will probably still be operating in 19 years time, and the sea will still be full of shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A very simple public health engineering solution ! Make every business along Walking Street install, at their own expense, what is called a "wet well", which is basically a storage tank below the floor. It would not need to be huge. Set it at such a level that all toilets and sinks can drain into it, install a float or water-level switch operated pump so that whenever the tank was full the pump would cut in and discharge the contents into an "interceptor" laid along Beach Road set at such a fall that it would flow to the existing pump station just north of the start of Walking Street. The only problem is that the Thais do not seem to grasp the fact that any drain has to be set to an exact and continuous fall producing a minimum flow velocity of 3 ft per second, and I would not like to be the guy who had to sit there and ensure that the installation correctly adhered to the plan !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm currently sitting on a beach on Koh Samet, the bay is lined with with hotels, resorts and restaurants, the water is crystal clear, is it so difficult for Pattaya to do likewise ?? Of course that was a rhetorical question as the answer is obvious.

 

City hall, no matter who is in power are a bunch of tossers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

A very simple public health engineering solution ! Make every business along Walking Street install, at their own expense, what is called a "wet well", which is basically a storage tank below the floor. It would not need to be huge. Set it at such a level that all toilets and sinks can drain into it, install a float or water-level switch operated pump so that whenever the tank was full the pump would cut in and discharge the contents into an "interceptor" laid along Beach Road set at such a fall that it would flow to the existing pump station just north of the start of Walking Street. The only problem is that the Thais do not seem to grasp the fact that any drain has to be set to an exact and continuous fall producing a minimum flow velocity of 3 ft per second, and I would not like to be the guy who had to sit there and ensure that the installation correctly adhered to the plan !

I can see it now they all put tanks below the floor... have you seen under the floors of those buildings, lucky if the is a any sand at low tide, give the a few months of salt water and they will be self emptying....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'm currently sitting on a beach on Koh Samet, the bay is lined with with hotels, resorts and restaurants, the water is crystal clear, is it so difficult for Pattaya to do likewise ?? Of course that was a rhetorical question as the answer is obvious.

 

City hall, no matter who is in power are a bunch of tossers. 

Koh Samed has a whole beach that has hotels and restaurants encroaching on national park land, so that's even worse than walking street

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

Koh Samed has a whole beach that has hotels and restaurants encroaching on national park land, so that's even worse than walking street

I appreciate what you are saying, my point was that a beach about the same length and with all the infrastructure that goes with it, hotels, bars, resorts and restaurants and the sea is crystal clear, so someone is doing something right, go to Pattaya beach and crap in the water and you would effectively clean it up, :1zgarz5: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I appreciate what you are saying, my point was that a beach about the same length and with all the infrastructure that goes with it, hotels, bars, resorts and restaurants and the sea is crystal clear, so someone is doing something right, go to Pattaya beach and crap in the water and you would effectively clean it up, :1zgarz5: 

I don't think there are infrastructure on Koh Samed, give it a few years and It'll be like Pattaya

1430713771-o.jpg

 

1430713829-o.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2017 at 0:07 PM, smedly said:

don't agree, it will have a positive effect on Pattaya and restore the beach/coast to what it should be, they have started the cleanup at Balihigh which was a dirty contaminated eyesore instead of an area of natural beauty, the west side of walking street should be next and restore the whole beachfront from North to South. I agree that there are powerful people that own these illegal businesses and the only authority that has the power to remove them are the current government, I think it is only a matter of time, I also think that the whole of beach road and the sea front should be pedestrian only with possibly a two way  tram system.

 

The whole beach front could be a pedestrian area of natural beauty right from the North to balihigh where they could build a proper marina and ferry port, all it takes is a little imagination. 

 

Like every other beachfront town/city in Thailand - the illegal encroachers need to be removed, get on with it and turn pattaya seafront into something nice and internationally acceptable.

What a load of rubbish....

Pattaya is unique because is NOT like all the other internationally acceptable places...

Lets see there are 1000s and 1000s internationally acceptable places. and there is one Pattaya....

Some people are of such small minds that they feel uncomfortable if some place does not fit in their cookie cutter world....

 

Tourist (Pattaya's life blood)are attracted to the uniqueness

of Pattaya....They have been coming here for 50 years because Pattaya is not like all the other 1000s and 1000s internationally acceptable places....

Edited by fforest1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...