Suvarnabhumi Airport-registered taxi driver returns 5700 US dollar cash to foreign passenger

webfact

4 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Why is that?

Because of Thainess in it's purest form.

They charge 220 baht for using their atm's to all foreigners....only thailand does this. So not strange tourists bring their own cash and won't use Thai banks.

3 hours ago, seabear said:

On June 12th I took a taxi from  departure at Suvarnabhumi airport. After a few km the driver said the engine was overheating and I have to change the taxi. Another taxi stopped and we switched. After another few km the taxi slowed down and stopped. The first taxi stopped, opened his window, smiled, and handed me over my wallet.  Only about 10'000 Baht but all my cards. I gave him 1'000 Baht. He was happy, and I was very happy.

A day later I took a taxi to Klong Thom. I forgot my fanny pack in the car. No money inside. Angry at myself I walked slowly along the road, when the taxi driver waved at me, and gave me my pack back. Another 1'000 Baht gone. Driver happy and Papa very happy.  BTW, I never had a bad experience with a taxi driver.

<deleted>,Is A Fanny Pack ??

Just now, fruitman said:

Because of Thainess in it's purest form.

They charge 220 baht for using their atm's to all foreigners....only thailand does this. So not strange tourists bring their own cash and won't use Thai banks.

Not to be pedantic,  but they don't charge foreigners. They charge people using foreign issued cards (Thai and Foreign holders of these cards alike). Also not only Thailand does this (Unless you mean exactly the amount of 220 Baht - then yes, only Thailand). Lastly, I don't think a person carrying 200 000 Baht equivalent in cash is worried about an ATM fee. :coffee1:

fine for this one and full respect if the whole issue is sincere and not just a propaganda set up...

but 90% of Bangkok taxi drivers are still a bunch of horrible cheats who always argue or refuse to turn on the taxi meter, who will try to rip you off with the toll fees, will try to take long round abouts when trafic is low early morning.....no way....in Bangkok it's UBER or the skytrain....but NEVER...NEVER use the official crooks who drive the regular registered taxis....

and this issue will start to be published in different tourism related articles in the local press in different EU countries from this autumn.....farang expats and tourists are fed up in being ripped of in Thailand

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

fine for this one and full respect if the whole issue is sincere and not just a propaganda set up...

but 90% of Bangkok taxi drivers are still a bunch of horrible cheats who always argue or refuse to turn on the taxi meter, who will try to rip you off with the toll fees, will try to take long round abouts when trafic is low early morning.....no way....in Bangkok it's UBER or the skytrain....but NEVER...NEVER use the official crooks who drive the regular registered taxis....

and this issue will start to be published in different tourism related articles in the local press in different EU countries from this autumn.....farang expats and tourists are fed up in being ripped of in Thailand

There are bad ones out there, but 90%...

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

There are bad ones out there, but 90%...

naturaly this figure was a metaphor and not a sum based on referenced statistical numbers!!....kindly forgive me if it lead to any confusion!:sleep:...

but to make things simple, based on personnal experience only, I am tempted to say 7 out of 10 are dishonest in Bangkok...sorry!...

maybe my face looks a bit naive that perhaps arouses the cheat deeply rooted with the taxi cowboys!!!:cheesy:

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

I was wrong, i said last week after the bad taxi driver thread in 2/3 days we will have a taxi driver returning a large sum of money to a passenger.

It took 7 days for it to happen, amazing Thailand.

Well would you believe it.

Last week after the bad taxi driver story, i said  in 2/3 days we will get ba driver returning a large sum of money to a passenger

Yes - and not only taxis are good people. I dropped a new phone as I bump started my bike back in about 2005 - about 1/2km from my home - and it beat me back home, sitting with the doorman when I got home after work. Bike taxi rider picked it up and between them they worked out who's it was.

I also had a phone return to me from NongKhai, from a table near the bus station, where I stopped for coffee before going to Laos. When I returned home there was a message, and my phone got returned by EMS.

This isn't 'Thai news' - it happens all the time here... but on a worldwide context it's definitely unique.

Edited by ben2talk
it was messier than it is now.

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

naturaly this figure was a metaphor and not a sum based on referenced statistical numbers!!....kindly forgive me if it lead to any confusion!:sleep:...

but to make things simple, based on personnal experience only, I am tempted to say 7 out of 10 are dishonest in Bangkok...sorry!...

maybe my face looks a bit naive that perhaps arouses the cheat deeply rooted with the taxi cowboys!!!:cheesy:

Only time I have trouble is late at night/early in the a.m.

I expect it and don't judge other taxi drivers by their late night colleagues very low standards.

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Only time I have trouble is late at night/early in the a.m.

I expect it and don't judge other taxi drivers by their late night colleagues very low standards.

good for you,  in that case my dear fellow....

and as I stated in my post, my words were based on personnal experiences, so even if I am expecting it, I do not accept being ripped off or fear speaking out and being accused of whatsoever judgement :tongue:

Edited by observer90210

As are mine, my esteemed colleague...

well lucky you my respected interlocutor,

but the more one speaks out and does not minimise such issues, the more it would avoid other innocent and naive farangs like my humble self getting ripped off?...now I assume you would not enjoy seeing the innocent  tourists of thailand getting ripped off right from Swampy taxi services?...that cash would be so much better spent in the cultural attractions of Pattaya!:cheesy:

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

well lucky you my respected interlocutor,

but the more one speaks out and does not minimise such issues, the more it would avoid other innocent and naive farangs like my humble self getting ripped off?...now I assume you would not enjoy seeing the innocent  tourists of thailand getting ripped off right from Swampy taxi services?...that cash would be so much better spent in the cultural attractions of Pattaya!:cheesy:

My most lauded acquaintance

Dont get me wrong, I have no illusions regarding taxis.

However, the majority are just people getting by and doing what they can to earn a living. 

My most lauded acquaintance

Dont get me wrong, I have no illusions regarding taxis.

However, the majority are just people getting by and doing what they can to earn a living. 

to earn a living....I agree.....but would that be reason for anybody to be the sucker financing the scam?

everybody is free to their own opinion that some may consider judgment....but personnally, my friend...no way for me!...commonising the scams of a large/few(?) dishonest taxis, is lacking respect to the many few who are honest!:happy:

Edited by observer90210

24 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

to earn a living....I agree.....but would that be reason for anybody to be the sucker financing the scam?

everybody is free to their own opinion that some may consider judgment....but personnally, my friend...no way for me!...commonising the scams of a large/few(?) dishonest taxis, is lacking respect to the many few who are honest!:happy:

And there we disagree.

The majority are honest.

Not to be negative, but how do we know these are true stories?  TAT spinsters?  In any case, there are cameras everywhere.  I hope it's on the up and up, even if it would never make the news where I come from

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And there we disagree.

The majority are honest.

ok next time I hail a taxi in Suvarna, I will definately call you up before as your karma seems better then mine when dealing with the local cabbies!

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

ok next time I hail a taxi in Suvarna, I will definately call you up before as your karma seems better then mine when dealing with the local cabbies!

Oh dear, is it that experiences are more valid then mine?

On 19.6.2560 at 9:44 AM, colinneil said:

Dont be so negative, how can you say that?

Every month without fail  a foreigner leaves a large amount of money in a taxi.

The taxi driver is such an honest person, it is given back. :cheesy:

It always occurs just after a rogue taxi driver has done wrong. Absolute bu+++IT.

Dear Colin, let me tell you something. Last year we went to BKK by bus, then took a taxi to Fashion Island. We had four small pieces of luggage. Silly me took the suitcase, left my bag with all

my documents in the car. Maybe bc I was so tired from the sleepless night on the bus.

Desperate as we were, standing there by the roadside where we disembarked, thinking how we could get hold of that taxi, when said taxi stopped next to us and handed me my bag. He didn't even give me the chance to reward him with a tip.

Never brush all with the same brush, Colin.

But you might be right about those fake taxi stories. They should report more details and provide photos of the passenger and mention about the reward the driver received from the forgetful passenger.

By the way, this story never made it to ThaiVisaNews.

Have a good day

Max

Edited by maximillian
forgot a detail

7 hours ago, maximillian said:

Dear Colin, let me tell you something. Last year we went to BKK by bus, then took a taxi to Fashion Island. We had four small pieces of luggage. Silly me took the suitcase, left my bag with all

my documents in the car. Maybe bc I was so tired from the sleepless night on the bus.

Desperate as we were, standing there by the roadside where we disembarked, thinking how we could get hold of that taxi, when said taxi stopped next to us and handed me my bag. He didn't even give me the chance to reward him with a tip.

Never brush all with the same brush, Colin.

But you might be right about those fake taxi stories. They should report more details and provide photos of the passenger and mention about the reward the driver received from the forgetful passenger.

By the way, this story never made it to ThaiVisaNews.

Have a good day

Max

By the law of averages there is bound to be many good honest Taxi drivers

Unfortunately I think they are outnumbered by the bunch that need to be Tar and feathered

60 off topic personal bickering posts and replies have been removed.  Perhaps we can get back on topic now.

A nonsense comment trolling comment on moderation has now been removed as well. 

Edited by metisdead