Whats Going On At Nana Bakery?

EL159

Very very strange! Nana Bakery at Nonghoi produces some of the best bakery products, bread, croissants, danish pastries, muffins etc, in Chiang Mai, and all at a very reasonable inexpensive price. The last two times I ve called by there, I ve had to queue behind mostly middle aged Thai customers buying mainly croissants ( 18 baht each) in huge numbers, this morning, the two customers in front of me bought 30 and 25 respectively,  then when you get to the front, apart from loaves of bread, theres hardly anything left at all.

Has Thailand suddenly acquired a great love of croissants in large numbers.....or.......and I suspect this is the answer  ( its what my Thai partner has heard)......people with their own coffee shops/ retail outlets are going there, buying for 18 baht then selling in their own establishments for a tidy profit.

It doesnt seem like very sensible business practice to buy at retail price to then sell in another retail establishment. Its also a bit annoying, having used Nana Bakery for two years to suddenly find theres hardly any product left by 10.30am!

Has anyone else come across this curious phenomenon?

Nana in Santitham is never crowded and has loads of croissants, and all other goodies, by 11 am.  I don't eat many and only buy the day old stuff, 1/2 price.  I do like the black olive bread. 

And a great cup of hot Latte coffee at 30 baht?  None better in CM.  

I have no idea what's going on in NongHai. Sorry.  

I went looking for the Santitham branch a few months ago and couldn't find it.

The time I went to the Nong Hoi branch there was not much left on the shelves.

Santitham would be better for me as I live in Mae Rim.  When I was stating in Hillside 4 they use to have sales in the foyer area once a week.

Loved their small pies with the blue cheese. Very nice bakery food and never had a bad item.

This is the same phenomenon that occurs in all the good bakeries. At my favorite bakery which I won't name here, if you don't get there by 9:30 A.M. then you are out of luck. The guesthouses order all the whole wheat bread and croissants in advance and there are only a tray or two left for the general public. During the rest of the day, the same thing continues but they don't even have a tray or two left over for the general public. I am seldom up, let alone out of my house at 9:30 so I don't bother going anymore.

Ditto for my 2nd favorite bakery.

Fortunately the place we go to now does not have this practice. Not that there is anything wrong with it and bakers have the absolute right to do as they wish, but not everyone starts their day at the crack of dawn.

37 minutes ago, elektrified said:

This is the same phenomenon that occurs in all the good bakeries. At my favorite bakery which I won't name here, if you don't get there by 9:30 A.M. then you are out of luck. The guesthouses order all the whole wheat bread and croissants in advance and there are only a tray or two left for the general public. During the rest of the day, the same thing continues but they don't even have a tray or two left over for the general public. I am seldom up, let alone out of my house at 9:30 so I don't bother going anymore.

These means they do a great Job in inventory and never have left overs. Best way to work in a profitable way.