Three killed in head-on motorcycle crash in Kamphaengphet

webfact

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I judge the action.  Not the person's entire life.

And I have no problem with anybody doing what they enjoy, even if it is 20-40 x (That's 2000-4000%) more dangerous than getting around the other way.  I do it, too.  But I get irritated when they then turn around and rag on others for adding a small increment of danger by doing it without a helmet (adds 40%) or without lights (I have no clue).  Hopping on the scooter was the dangerous decision.  The other factors are nowhere near as onerous.  

Try this.  Get on here and try to convince people you enjoy riding a scooter with your hair waving in the breeze.  You'll get dozens of responses calling you everything but a sane man for riding without a helmet.  Yet, that's just another choice people make based on what they enjoy.

I also get a little irritated reading from people who spent their career in a country where the average GDP per capita is 10x what it is in Thailand, and then feel the need to criticize how the Thais manage their money.  Just about everyone tuned in here has pissed away more money than the average Thai will ever see.  Try supporting a family on 300-500 baht a day and see if you don't feel just a little bit different about spending money on scooter parts exactly when the part fails.  May take you a day, week, or month to spend that 60 baht, too.

I ride scooters, I water ski, I scuba dive, sea kayak, fly small planes, and do a lot of other dangerous things.  Enjoy the hell out of them.  Have no problem with anyone that does even more dangerous things. And if I feel the urge to voice my opinion that they're doing something irresponsible, I put it in civil terms, specific to the action, and not about their whole being.  You won't find me here ragging on them, or questioning their IQ and spending priorities, or whether their parents had a brain in their head.  

in many cases they have the money to fix the problem such as lights  not working but choose  not to, local shop owner by me owed 300k in chits, he tore them all up trying to get the money back, he said  they have the  money but  just wont give it to him.

I dont care  what dangerous  things anyone does on the understanding they have enough financially to compensate any damage done to me and in the knowledge if they maim themselves they  have enough to cover their costs not expect someone else to pick up the tab.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Boonsong said the couple were apparently riding out of the village and the other motorcycle was coming the other way.

Yeah, I assume that it would be a quite realistic way of thinking.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm not agreeing with them.  But I didn't grow up in a place where economics puts people onto 2 wheel vehicles that are 20-40 x as dangerous as the cheapest beater car I drove when I was a kid.

Hell, I don't even agree with sticking a kid on a scooter, much less 2 or 3 of them on one scooter.  But economics are different here than back home.  And it's not so much about irresponsibility.  

What I do think is irresponsible is foreigners sitting on $$$ millions and still choosing scooters, which are 20-40 x as dangerous as their other affordable alternative.  They have a choice and choose the dangerous one.  But I don't judge them, either.  Because for many, it's driven by economics, not irresponsibility.  And I take scooter taxis in BKK all the time because it saves time.

$$$millions+scooter = irresponsible. How wrong you are. What about the environment? What about the traffic? If more people rode scooters instead of some gas guzzling 4 wheeler the world might not be so polluted, the roads not so clogged. And the reason that a lot get killed on a scooter is because of all the drunk, speeding 4 wheelers out there.

You say you don't judge them but you call them irresponsible when you too are irresponsible, using your definition, in using scooter taxis.

Jeez..................

19 hours ago, halloween said:

Are you sure the headlights are painted red?

Yes, it came into fashion 3-4 years ago.

They would remove the red cover from the rear light, and paint the front headlight cover red.

So the rear light is then white, and the front light is then red.

Don't try to understand them, you'll only get a headache. 

15 minutes ago, DLang said:

Yes, it came into fashion 3-4 years ago.

They would remove the red cover from the rear light, and paint the front headlight cover red.

So the rear light is then white, and the front light is then red.

Don't try to understand them, you'll only get a headache. 

Seen a lot of green ones around my way.

I don't even try to figure it out.

Or the big bag in the basket in front of the headlamp.

Where I live no lights is OK with most...They carry on this way because there is no police presence to stop and fine them, especially after dark. The road fatalities is wholly on the shoulders of the BiB who are paid to to police the roads. The BiB could make a lot of money for the force and in doing so save zillions of lives...