Training centre for manned model ship handling opens

webfact

Training centre for manned model ship handling opens
By Suthinan Kongsin
The Nation

75d96afa87bf69afaa3aa1131d0b2540.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Asia’s first training centre for manned model ship handling was officially opened in Thailand at Ban Preuksa 12 Housing Estate’s lake in Samut Prakan’s Muang district on Tuesday.

Director Captain Wichai Rammaroeng said the centre, run by Bang Na-based Chemstar Bangkok Nautical School, was the sixth in the world along with Britian, America, France, Poland, and Australia.

During the launch, a demonstration was held on how to navigate a manned model ship, a scaled-down replica of cargo ship to teach students how to navigate around deep sea trenches signified by buoyage in the lake. 

Marine Department chief Sorasak Saensombat, who presided over the event, said the centre would provide ship navigation practice as well as theory learning and a simulator training program.

He said the centre would contribute to the country’s merchant marine development and the government agency, which aims to raise the standard and competitiveness of Thai seafarers, would provide support.

Wichai said there were several ways to practice navigation. The best way was to navigate a real cargo ship, followed by manned model ship handling and navigation practice via a simulator training program.

Out of the world’s 1.7 million seafarers, about 20,000 are Thais who work on Thai and foreign ships.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318631

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-21

Evidently cheaper than VR ship simulators.

I remember seeing something like this long ago, probably on Tomorrow's World (with Raymond Baxter), grown men buzzing about in toy model oil tankers. Must have been in the late 60's, there's never anything new in this world.

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Evidently cheaper than VR ship simulators.

I remember seeing something like this long ago, probably on Tomorrow's World (with Raymond Baxter), grown men buzzing about in toy model oil tankers. Must have been in the late 60's, there's never anything new in this world.

I also remember that - Geezzz was it that long ago :sad:

Don't confuse a model with a toy remember Flight of the Phoenix  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059183/?ref_=nv_sr_5

:whistling:

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

That's more like I remember, in color not Raymond Baxter in b/w

That makes me feel a bit better :whistling: 

Though I'm sure it was much earlier than 2011

I was still at school I'm sure, and I'm pretty certain it was Tomorrow's World. It was a long time ago.

EDIT From the Warsash website, they started using manned models in 1980.

http://www.warsashsuperyachtacademy.com/about/brochures/resources/wma-ship-handling-centre-brochure.pdf

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

I don't know how long this course will be. I suppose knowing Thailand it might not exceed 2 days? And you come out with a certificate and being able to run a cargo Ship. This makes Thailand a hub of safety. Very sure?

Two day course + envelope.