15 or 30 days for Australians entering Thailand by land?

I believe the policy was changed last year so that Australians (and not just G7 citizens) once again receive a 30-day visa-exempt stay if arriving by land at a border crossing, and not just by air as it had been before. However an Australian friend rang a Thai consulate there and a staffer told him:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have been working here for five years and it has always been 15 days when you enter by land."

Can anyone clear this up please? I could have sworn there was a Thai government announcement changing it to 30 days if by land for most Western nationalities, but now I can't find it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have been working here for five years and it has always been 15 days when you enter by land."

That shows the quality of consulate staff!

It used to be 30 when I first went to Bkk in 2005 therefore, "it has always been 15 days" is BS ... unless qualified by "since I've worked here". As Mattd stated the 15 days has been lifted back to 30 with two per year: http://www.thaivisaservice.com/visa-rules

Edited by Salerno
Typo

I believe the policy was changed last year so that Australians (and not just G7 citizens) once again receive a 30-day visa-exempt stay if arriving by land at a border crossing, and not just by air as it had been before. However an Australian friend rang a Thai consulate there and a staffer told him:

Can anyone clear this up please? I could have sworn there was a Thai government announcement changing it to 30 days if by land for most Western nationalities, but now I can't find it. Thanks. 

Just go to the Thai consulate Melbourne website. It says 15 days. Never changed in recent years.
Nothing to "clear up". It's very clear when you read it.

3 minutes ago, bheard said:

Just go to the Thai consulate Melbourne website. It says 15 days. Never changed in recent years.

That has been wrong since January 1st of this year when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings per calendar year rule went into effect. The 15 day rule was rescinded then.

47 minutes ago, dluek said:

However an Australian friend rang a Thai consulate there and a staffer told him:

Never believe what a Thai consulate tells you about anything other than the rules they follow at their specific consulate. They are less reliable than bar stool warriors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bheard said:

3 hours ago, dluek said:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet ...

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

They are less reliable than bar stool warriors.

There's a lot of competition for last place in the "reliable" competition. In most threads on TV you can depend on a contingent of  "warriors" to muddy the waters with unreliable info.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

There's a lot of competition for last place in the "reliable" competition. In most threads on TV you can depend on a contingent of  "warriors" to muddy the waters with unreliable info.

"...on TV you can depend on a contingent of  "warriors" to muddy the waters with unreliable info." TV readers are not muddying the waters, it is the inconsistencies of information from Thai government departments! As is often the case, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing :post-4641-1156693976:

4 hours ago, malcoml said:

How about an Australian who recently crossed the border by land tells him.

I'm sure there are 100's each day.

No need to the rules changed again that it now back to 30 days. However  as stated you are only allowed 2 visa  exempt entries a year via land broader crossing.