''high Season'' 2006.. Big Busy Or Big Bust?

Pdaz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wade through endless Russians to get to the water. This year the beach is noticeably less littered with them than in previous years.

Talk about national prejudice on this forum. You consider Russians as litter? Why? What SUPERIOR nationality are you?

Tropo - Is English your second language? It's an expression not a literal description!

Tropo - Is English your second language? It's an expression not a literal description!

No, but judging on your comprehension it may be your second or perhaps third language.

There's a difference between these two expressions:

1. The beach was littered with Russians.

2. The beach was littered with people.

Considering it's impossible to ascertain the nationality of beach goers at a cursory glance, it's obviously a prejudiced comment.

The poster already confirmed this assessment by stating that he is Chechnyan which is in Southwest Russia.

That obviously went right over your head.

Happy New Year Troll!

I wade through endless Russians to get to the water. This year the beach is noticeably less littered with them than in previous years.

Talk about national prejudice on this forum. You consider Russians as litter? Why? What SUPERIOR nationality are you?

It could be either, but I'm pretty sure that Tropo is correct here. :o

Gentlemen!

Let’s not stray to far from the topic of this post as it is very interesting. We have heard of figures from 20 to 50% down in tourism in Pattaya, golf claims 70% down! TAT claims 18% increase in Thailand!!

So what will happen to Pattaya in the future? As always it’s impossible to know and I have no crystal ball but let’s narrow it down to a handful of possibilities and continue the discussion from there.

1. Pattaya will bounce right up to where it was before and continue to grow both economically and geographically.

2. This year’s level is normal and will stand in the foreseeable future.

3. The decline will slowly continue for some years until a sustainable level is reached.

4. Its over!

Personally I’m a believer of no3. The big Q is how many nailed shut beer bars and hotels Pattaya can take and still be attractive to both customers and “employees”.

And off course in fifty years, when the era of mass tourism is over, it will once again be a fishing village.

Viking

Khao Sok National Park is full of Thai tourists. I've never seen this number of tourists assault this natural treasure.

I can't understand why almost all of them arrive at the floating bungalows just before sunset, then depart early the following morning... hmmm, why bother coming if all you're doing is eating, drinking and making noise all night. I don't think I'll ever understand the Thai mind (not that my mind is superior or anything like that... just in case someone has a lighter near the business end of a flame thrower :o )

I did overhear a Thai woman who was part of a large group - 20+ - complaining that the 40 Baht park entrance fee should have included the longtail boat ride to the bungalows. Wow, now that's a new level of tight-wad-ness! Oh, and then she and her gang broke out several bottle of Johnny Walker. Go figure.

No, but judging on your comprehension it may be your second or perhaps third language.

There's a difference between these two expressions:

1. The beach was littered with Russians.

2. The beach was littered with people.

Considering it's impossible to ascertain the nationality of beach goers at a cursory glance, it's obviously a prejudiced comment.

The poster already confirmed this assessment by stating that he is Chechnyan which is in Southwest Russia.

That obviously went right over your head.

Happy New Year Troll!

Of course it is impossible to ascertain the nationality of beach goers at a cursory glance. But I never intimated that I did that! I live on Dongtan beach and I am sailing from, and sitting on, the beach almost every day. I am also capable of recognising the Russian language and I hear little else being spoken on the beach during high season. One of my Russian fellow-sailors confirms that the vast majority of holidaymakers on the beach are Russian; and if you bothered to walk around the Pattaya Park area you would find it well supplied with Russian restaurants. So, it was not in any way a prejudiced comment. The Russians that I have know are all extremely pleasant people; why would I be prejudiced against them? Seems to me that this forum is full of (oops, I almost wrote "littered with") people who assume the worst about others; perhaps based on their own twisted world-view.

And I am not from Chechnya; that was a response to wind up the first idiot who appears not to be familiar with some English phrases. That obviously went right over your head.

Happy New Year fellow human being.

Thanks for the input.. Now after the Bangkok bombing I'm wondering what impact (if any) that will have on whats left of ''high season'' between now and Songkran.. Guess most Pattaya regulars who have been visiting Thailand for a number of year will come regardless. But guess it might make a few of the ''Asia newbies'' think twice.. What I was really getting at in my original post was If the ''Chinese, Ex-soviet and Indian sub continent'' tourist keep arriving will this finally change Pattaya into a more ''family orientated'' resort.. or will the continued influx of ''overpaying newbies'' who think Pattaya is the new Benidorm (but getting laid is guarenteed) push prices into line with BKK's entertainment venues.. And will the swelling number of expats and retirees mean that there is no longer a noticable high season at all.. more a ''medium season'' all year.. I know that there seem to be three business models here.. the business that tries to attract resident expats so they have a regular customer base.. and then the ''rip off'' joints that try to make a years takings in the three Months when they are full of newbies who think everything here is ''cheap compared to home'' and last the best of both worlds ..keep their regulars happy but put prices up for ''high season''..

In a recent conversation with a Pattaya Immigration Police official, the tourist numbers in Pattaya are down 33.6% on last year. I don't know exactly their methodolgy & how they collate this information (although I'm sure some of you can guess) but they might not be far wrong.

most were saying my condo will be noisy and so I planned to go away.

This didnt happen and so i stayed

It was quiet and some people on the beaches

however the umbrella vendors had put up masses of chairs and tables - unfortunately no many came

so from this i can deduce that the numbers were down

yes no

I spent last week in Pattaya and the place was littered with Russians, though I found them lovely. Nearly as nice as the Romanians I met.

Tropo does seem to take his English very literally. Though litter certainly has negative ideas attached to it. Otherwise you might just say scattered or heaving with. Yes, I like the last one...

I spent last week in Pattaya and the place was littered with heaving Russians, though I found their heavingness lovely. Nearly as lovely as the heaving Romanians I met.

Thanks for the input.. Now after the Bangkok bombing I'm wondering what impact (if any) that will have on whats left of ''high season'' between now and Songkran.. Guess most Pattaya regulars who have been visiting Thailand for a number of year will come regardless. But guess it might make a few of the ''Asia newbies'' think twice.. What I was really getting at in my original post was If the ''Chinese, Ex-soviet and Indian sub continent'' tourist keep arriving will this finally change Pattaya into a more ''family orientated'' resort.. or will the continued influx of ''overpaying newbies'' who think Pattaya is the new Benidorm (but getting laid is guarenteed) push prices into line with BKK's entertainment venues.. And will the swelling number of expats and retirees mean that there is no longer a noticable high season at all.. more a ''medium season'' all year.. I know that there seem to be three business models here.. the business that tries to attract resident expats so they have a regular customer base.. and then the ''rip off'' joints that try to make a years takings in the three Months when they are full of newbies who think everything here is ''cheap compared to home'' and last the best of both worlds ..keep their regulars happy but put prices up for ''high season''..

I do not think anything will change, people will still keep coming as they did after the 1992 coup, 1997 Asian Financial crash, SARS, Southern unrest, September 2006 Coup and the recent Bangkok bombings, after all these years Pattaya keeps growing and people keep coming, cheers.

I do not think anything will change, people will still keep coming as they did after the 1992 coup, 1997 Asian Financial crash, SARS, Southern unrest, September 2006 Coup and the recent Bangkok bombings, after all these years Pattaya keeps growing and people keep coming, cheers.

Yes there seems to be some kind of lure, some strong itch that keeps people (mainly single men) coming in droves across the world to this little fishing village we call Pattaya. I guess there's a lot of fish in the ocean or something. Any guesses? :o

Edited by PATTAYAPUNTER

Yes there seems to be some kind of lure, some strong itch that keeps people (mainly single men) coming in droves across the world to this little fishing village we call Pattaya. I guess there's a lot of fish in the ocean or something. Any guesses? :o

You have hit the nail on the head and I hope that the powers that be never get so silly as to forget that the Golden Goose - or should I say Golden P___y - is what keeps free spending tourists coming back year after year to Thailand through SARS and Bird Flu and crack-downs and coups and whatever else you throw at us! :D

Tropo does seem to take his English very literally. Though litter certainly has negative ideas attached to it. Otherwise you might just say scattered or heaving with. Yes, I like the last one...

How about 'The beach was vitiated with.........................?

You have hit the nail on the head and I hope that the powers that be never get so silly as to forget that the Golden Goose - or should I say Golden P___y - is what keeps free spending tourists coming back year after year to Thailand through SARS and Bird Flu and crack-downs and coups and whatever else you throw at us! :D

Pattaya soi 6,7,8; 'Golden Pu__y' but Dongtan Beach; 'Golden Pansy' ?

It seems quieter but I know for a fact that a lot of businesses are doing better than last year (mine included) and i think there are "different" kinds of tourists about and they're obviously not into the beer bars and gogo's.

I'm surprised the beer bars etc haven't done alright because there seems to be an awful lots of tightwads around now.

Other reasons of course might be down to the new visa laws which have deterred a lot of people (that isn't necessarily a bad thing considering some of the wrong uns pattaya attracts).

:o

It seems quieter but I know for a fact that a lot of businesses are doing better than last year (mine included) and i think there are "different" kinds of tourists about and they're obviously not into the beer bars and gogo's.

I'm surprised the beer bars etc haven't done alright because there seems to be an awful lots of tightwads around now.

Other reasons of course might be down to the new visa laws which have deterred a lot of people (that isn't necessarily a bad thing considering some of the wrong uns pattaya attracts).

Money is money Dave.

Are you complaining about the clientele of pattaya.?

Please remember pattaya is a sex town, That you are making money in.

It was built on it, and will be the main income for years to come for Pattaya.

Do you thing people come to pattaya for music or the beaches?

Don’t think so. There’s far better places in Thailand for the cultural stuff.

Have a nice day

Happy New Year.

Money is money Dave.

Are you complaining about the clientele of pattaya.?

Please remember pattaya is a sex town, That you are making money in.

It was built on it, and will be the main income for years to come for Pattaya.

Don’t think so. There’s far better places in Thailand for the cultural stuff.

Have a nice day

Happy New Year.

When did i say anything different?

My comments are still true though.

Some toursits believe it or not don't come here for sex and some of my comments are based on the types of customers i've had in the bar over the past few weeks, at a guess i'd say the majority are viisting family here as alot of customers were 50 - 60 year old farang couples.

:D

Edited by davethailand

A couple of years ago you hardly saw a russian, now they have their own tv news programs and documentrys, even russian girls sitting on beach road and going with farang, what's going on ?

Well icecubes, more to Patters than shagging - this is coming increasingly obvious over the years. :D

Well brit, They will always be the minority.

Plus don’t be fooled by all the couples in town some are here for sex

you know.

Even the old guys like yourself can get sorted in pattaya if you like. :D

But we have seen the latest class act in town this year.

The young guys walking around with no tops on, drinking out of beer bottles

shouting and swearing at each other in the streets and bars.

I’m sure they are here for the golf, beaches and music.

Almost forgot, however they are here to watch football in the bars with other like minded intellectuals.

Have a nice day.

Coulden't agree more, Ive never seen so many blokes walking around without a shirt drinking beer from bottal's and asking where's the nearest golf course, I think pattaya is now attracting the Ibiza minded tourist, I even saw a glass bottal thrown out the back of a bart buss and smashing on the road in true binge drinking style.

Think that the big increase of ''young guys'' coming to Pattaya is one of the biggest changes I have seen in the last 15yrs.. I was in my mid twenties when I first came to Pattaya and at that time and until recently most of the guys you saw around town were older 30 somethings and up. But in th elast few years there have been more and more guys in the 20 - 25yr age bracket arriving.. I work with a few guys that age from UK they all know about Thailand/Pattaya and have been a coupel of times.. They reckon its a great..cheap booze,great weather, cheap accomodation etc PLUS there a load of girls.. All of whom are available for very little or even free.. None of the agro they get in the usual Euro holiday destinations and they don't have the problem of buying ''Tracy'' drinks all night only to be turned down at the last minute.. They all say they are sick of UK/Euro girls stuck up attitudes or the fact they are overweight and unattractive.. Sound familiar?

Seems that the stigma of ''paying for it'' has been reduced and many of the lads brag about shagging loads of girls on their hols.. Funny cos when I was twenty I never had a problem getting a GF..but maybe things have changed and many lads just want an easier life.. Only thing that worries me is that many of these guys seem to wabt to bring the Benidorm, football, booze and fighting attitudes to Pattaya.. Only hope that they chill out and realise that the absence of agro etc is what makes Pattaya a great place to party..

Well icecubes, more to Patters than shagging - this is coming increasingly obvious over the years. :D

Well brit, They will always be the minority.

Plus don’t be fooled by all the couples in town some are here for sex

you know.

Even the old guys like yourself can get sorted in pattaya if you like. :D

But we have seen the latest class act in town this year.

The young guys walking around with no tops on, drinking out of beer bottles

shouting and swearing at each other in the streets and bars.

I’m sure they are here for the golf, beaches and music.

Almost forgot, however they are here to watch football in the bars with other like minded intellectuals.

Have a nice day.

:D

Hmmm must have missed the shirtless wonders.... :o Anyways who you calling old??? :D