NLA inquires into govt’s solutions to conflict between Uber and taxi drivers

rooster59

NLA inquires into govt’s solutions to conflict between Uber and taxi drivers

Thammarat Thadaphrom

BANGKOK, 24th June 2017 (NNT) – The National Legislative Assembly of Thailand (NLA) has been looking into proposed solutions to the conflict between Uber and taxi drivers amid fears that the problem could ruin the country’s image. 

The NLA sitting on Friday led by member Wallop Tangkananurak, expressed its concerns about the ongoing feud between Uber and taxi drivers as the lawmakers fear that the dispute could shake the confidence of foreign visitors to Thailand and tarnish the country’s tourism image. 

In reply, Deputy Transport Minister, Pichit Akrathit on behalf of Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith informed the Assembly that the ministry had summoned Uber executives and officials from the Land Transport Department and the National Council for Peace and Order to discuss the issue, noting that all parties had agreed to conduct a feasibility study to assess the pros and cons of the Uber service and its short and long-term effects. 

“The results will be ready in the next 4-5 months,” Pichit told the lawmakers, adding that the government is helping taxis improve their services in order to boost passengers’ confidence and level of satisfaction. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-24

16 hours ago, starky said:

I dont even know how Uber could work here taxis are already ridiculously inexpensive how could you possibly afford to undercut a taxi meter? 

Oh, let me think....  better service, clean and well dressed drivers, clean vehicles, seat beats that work, fixed rate/fare.  I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Uber does not need to undercut the local mafia taxis, they just need to provide the service the local taxis SHOULD be delivering.

Edited by WhizBang

1 hour ago, starky said:

I dont even know how Uber could work here taxis are already ridiculously inexpensive how could you possibly afford to undercut a taxi meter? 

Are you referring to the taxi "meters" in Pattaya, Puket,  certain areas of Bangkok and many other parts of Thailand.

In theory of all the problems that need solving in Thailand this conflict (created by the taxi mafia) would have to be the most easy (in theory) to resolve.

Make it law for all taxis to turn on the meter.  Making the law is the easy part. Like everything else in Thailand getting inconvenient laws policed is something different. 

Dear Mr PM (junta leader) so simple to solve 

article 44 and enforce if 

1- use meters everywhere - if not ban them 

2- no refusals - if they do ban them 

and I mean all over Thailand 

if not people will use uber and grab and legalise them - called healthy competition - and you can't ban them in certain places 

All or nothing unless you're scared of certain places because of the places or the people  

1 hour ago, phil2407 said:

Dear Mr PM (junta leader) so simple to solve 

article 44 and enforce if 

1- use meters everywhere - if not ban them 

2- no refusals - if they do ban them 

and I mean all over Thailand 

if not people will use uber and grab and legalise them - called healthy competition - and you can't ban them in certain places 

All or nothing unless you're scared of certain places because of the places or the people  

He's scared of certain people