Travel

jimbeam1

Hi all. Can anyone help. I arrive in Bangkok International airport 02 Jan 07 at 18.50hrs. I'm looking for ways of getting to Hua Hin. Taxi seems ok if a little pricey. Bus looks best option, time tables seem to vary from site to site. Has anyone made this journey and or can confirm times. Thanks jb1.

I would also like some information on BKK - Hua Hin.

On estimation how long would it take from a hotel in Sukhumvit to Hua Hin being driven in a normal taxi, also how much?

I am thinking of making the journey in Summer 07 but am abit put off if its too long of a journey!

Thanks everyone,

• 4 weeks later...

Taxi is to easy of a choice, alternative is a minibus, how about train connection BKK-Hua Hin?

Any information available about price, travel time (if I am correct about 3h45), departure station BKK, departure schedule by train? Would it be possible to leave the train at Nakhom Pathom and to catch the next (later) train there with the same ticket, because I want to stay about 2-3 hours in Nakhom Pathom area.

I have no idea what to expect of thai transportation class in trains? No class difference in trains where I come from. Any info about this?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Thai trains -

3rd class - seats are quite hard, and there is no guarantee of a seat

2nd class - comfortable seats guaranteed, sleeping berths available for longer journeys

1st class - private compartments with sleeping berths

From Hualamphong (Bangkok Central RR station) to Hua Hin is about 4.5 to 5 hrs. Fare is about 150 baht one way for 2nd class. No reason to get a bed on such a short trip; if you want one you would have to pay for it all the way from Bkk. to Chumphon.

Trains depart Bkk.every hr. or so, from approx. 12:00 noon to approx. 8:00 p.m.

You could NOT get off in Nakhon Pathom (or anywhere else), and then resume your journey on the same ticket. But tickets are cheap. You cou could certainly get one of the earliest trains to N.P., get off there for 3 - 4 hrs. then get on one of the later trains for HH. But Thai trains run late. Presume a one hr. late arrival in N.P.; in other words, allow yourself 4 hrs. there if you really want 3. The main temple (chedi) in N.P. is just a 5 min. walk from the RR station.

Thanks Allane for train travel information,

But reading your answer, I wonder if I need to make reservation (2nd class seat will do for this short trip) and how much time/days in advance (if applicable to make reservation or buy tickets in advance).

Or is it possible to buy a train ticket just before departure (still seat guaranteed)?

Edited by vreemd13

Seats are not guaranteed unless you have a reservation. Do that at the Advance Booking Office in Hualamphong Station. Go around and to the right as you face the ticket wickets. Those ticket wickets sell tickets for same day trains. For tomorrow's (or as far as 60 days in advance), go to the A.B. O. It is open approx. 0800 - 1600 hrs. every day.

How do I drive there? I am picking up a rental car from Victory Monument and I've heard that I just need to get on the expressway from there. Anyone know the signs I need to follow? i'll be fine once they start saying Hua Hin but I don't think they do this close to Bangkok! I leave tonight so any help would be great!! :o

This is an educated guess, as I have never driven this exact, entire route myself, but here goes....

Go north from the Victory Monument on Phahonyothin Road, staying in the lefthand lane as you leave the VM. There is an entrance to the Expressway after no more than 500 metres. Turn left (west) there and go up the ramp on to the Expressway. Keep to the left, I think the signs say Daokhanong. After about 1 km the expressway will swing towards the south. From there it is easy. Just stay on the expressway, crossing the elevated Rama 9 Bridge. After crossing the river, look for signs saying Rama 2 Road, Pak Tho, or Ratchburi (Highway 35). Once you have crossed the river, do NOT follow the signs for Daokhanong. If you did that, it would send you back towards central Bangkok.

Stay on Hwy. 35, passing by Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkram. When you get to Pak Tho (about 60 - 70 km from the Rama 9 bridge), do not go into the town. Look for signs saying Petchburi (Highway 4 southbound), and head south from there. Remain on Hwy. 4 until you get to HH.

From Bkk. to HH is about 230 km; I think that is measured from the Victory Monument.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am travelling to Hua Hin in the Summer for a few days break. I arrive in Bangkok at 6.30am so just going to get a taxi down to Hua Hin. However on my return journey to Bangkok I am considering using:

http://www.sga.co.th/en-GB/index.html

3400baht but the journey will only be an hour. Better than sitting in a taxi for 2.5-3hours.

Anyone had an experience with this flying company?

Do u think it would be safe?

Edited by makavelli

Hi everyone,

I am travelling to Hua Hin in the Summer for a few days break. I arrive in Bangkok at 6.30am so just going to get a taxi down to Hua Hin. However on my return journey to Bangkok I am considering using:

http://www.sga.co.th/en-GB/index.html

3400baht but the journey will only be an hour. Better than sitting in a taxi for 2.5-3hours.

Anyone had an experience with this flying company?

Do u think it would be safe?

I have used them a number of times and they are fine. If there is only one person travelling it is fairly cost effective. There are only about four flights per day, so it might mean that instead of an extra 1.5 hours in a taxi you wait an extra 1.5 hours at the airport. As I say I have used them a number of times, but I have also used the bus at 140 baht plus 200 baht in Bangkok for a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your train information,

I made the trip Nakhon Pathom to Hua Hin in 2.5-3 hours. No problem (train did run only 20 minutes late), just one-way for 33 baht and a nice experience travelling 3rd class (no reservation necessary). Hua Hin, clean nice city to relax from busy life, however many westerns. I should return sometime for a visit, but better not alone. Returned by 3rd class dieseltrain (this time no hard seat) again to Nakhon Pathom several days later. If you exit N.P. railroad station the Pagoda is straight in sight and is just a few minutes walk. BTW: Good tip for a short visit. However if you want to continue your journey by taxi at N.P., that is difficult. N.P. shows only a few taxi's on the main roads out (some 10 minutes walk fram RR station), not one taxi is waiting at RR station.

Train time table SOUTHERN LINE: http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp is pretty accurate. However, when I called the RR station in Hua Hin an additional (not listed) dieseltrain runs back to Bangkok in the afternoon.

Edited by vreemd13