Drones, current info, comparisons

I see there have been other drone threads, but the technology is moving along and I would love to see some discussion or hear personal experiences with the latest drones.

I got a cheapo drone last year, just to get a feel for it. It kept burning out motors and didn't have GPS so it was tough to fly if there was any wind. The video was all jello too.

I would like to get a better one this year. I don't want to spend too much. Maybe 20k or so. The DJI Spark has got my attention, but from another thread I see that DJI may not be the best value for the money, and also that they have some possessive policies like Apple. From the same thread there was talk of the Xiaomi Mi 4k drone, which does seem to have a lot going for it, but it is a bit big and doesn't fold up (something that attracts me to the Spark). If I really felt I would use this all the time, I would go with DJI Mavic. However I think that as the technology is increasing quickly, and it might not be a good idea to be spending so much on something that will be a doorstop in a year or two.

Hopefully some dronies out there will see this thread and give us their 2 baht's worth.

Edited by canuckamuck

The best drone in the world.....(like anything else)......is something that suits you, fits your needs and makes you feel at ease!!.....No matter what others say, get an idea for sure, but it's your and solely your own choice and how confortable you feel,  that is vital.

Just one thing though, mail order purhase of a drone  if you live in Thailand??....Just forget it as customs will give you the usual hell multiplied by a value of 10!!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

All major outlet stores now carry full lines of all toys,  a grown up boy would need for daily fun!!:cheesy:

Edited by observer90210

29 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The best drone in the world.....(like anything else)......is something that suits you, fits your needs and makes you feel at ease!!.....No matter what others say, get an idea for sure, but it's your and solely your own choice and how confortable you feel,  that is vital.

Just one thing though, mail order purhase of a drone  if you live in Thailand??....Just forget it as customs will give you the usual hell multiplied by a value of 10!!!!:post-4641-1156693976:

All major outlet stores now carry full lines of all toys,  a grown up boy would need for daily fun!!:cheesy:

Yep I plan to get the one that suits me. As soon as I find out which one that is. :thumbsup:

I see Lazada has these drones, already in Thailand I think. 

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Yep I plan to get the one that suits me. As soon as I find out which one that is. :thumbsup:

I see Lazada has these drones, already in Thailand I think. 

what about MBK? they carry full lines...in you are in BKK

I fell for the DJI Mavic Pro..but drone flying restrictions getting worse daily to limit airspace use....thus, it is wise to consult your local airspace trafic bureau to get a rough idea on the fligh routes...that is if you plan to fly your drone near a city...the DJI for instance gives you updated info directly when you login on issues of areas that restrict flying for safety.....irrespondable droning will lead to their ban on the short term so I do not want to be at cause....enjoy your flights pal and keep it posted on what you chose and how you like it!

Edited by observer90210

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2017 at 7:05 PM, observer90210 said:

what about MBK? they carry full lines...in you are in BKK

I fell for the DJI Mavic Pro..but drone flying restrictions getting worse daily to limit airspace use....thus, it is wise to consult your local airspace trafic bureau to get a rough idea on the fligh routes...that is if you plan to fly your drone near a city...the DJI for instance gives you updated info directly when you login on issues of areas that restrict flying for safety.....irrespondable droning will lead to their ban on the short term so I do not want to be at cause....enjoy your flights pal and keep it posted on what you chose and how you like it!

I'm nowhere near a city, so should be no problem We never even see any aircraft, unless a helicopter cruises through.

It is great that DJI gives you info about where you can fly, but horrifying that they track you. Are there other companies that do this too?

I haven't chose any drone yet, too busy to look into it lately.

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

I'm nowhere near a city, so should be no problem We never even see any aircraft, unless a helicopter cruises through.

It is great that DJI gives you info about where you can fly, but horrifying that they track you. Are there other companies that do this too?

I haven't chose any drone yet, too busy to look into it lately.

now if you are away from an airport or flight corridor..man .. you are in drone paradise...

but yes, they do track you at DJI as you must register online, get the updates online...all is linked and tracked...but google does same...Apple and so on......not to mention my credit cards that track me plus many other issues that I may be unaware.....so IMHO, if you are flying safe, legal for fun in an area that is approved by your local laws etc......I don't see a problem...the only issue comes when traveling...just watch out on those batteries as some countries just love to confiscate them on some obscure safety inventions....