Turkey's Erdogan says Arab demands on Qatar unlawful

webfact

Turkey's Erdogan says Arab demands on Qatar unlawful

By Mehmet Caliskan

tag-reuters-1.jpg

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan addresses members of parliament from his ruling AK Party (AKP) during a meeting at the Turkish parliament in Ankara, Turkey, June 13, 2017. Yasin Bulbul/Presidential Palace/Handout via REUTERS/Files

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday dismissed calls for Turkey to close a military base in Qatar and said a wider list of demands issued by four Arab states was an unlawful intervention against the Gulf state's sovereignty.

In his strongest statement of support for Qatar in the nearly three-week-old crisis centred on the Gulf state, Erdogan said the call to withdraw Turkish forces was disrespectful and that Doha - which described the demands as unreasonable - was taking the right approach.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain imposed a boycott on June 5 on Qatar and issued 13 demands including closing Al Jazeera television, curbing relations with Iran, shutting the Turkish base and paying reparations.

Doha said it was reviewing the list, but said it was not reasonable or actionable.

"We approve and appreciate the attitude of Qatar against the list of 13 demands," Erdogan, speaking outside a mosque in Istanbul, said. "...This approach of 13 demands is against international law because you cannot attack or intervene in the sovereignty of a country."

Bahrain's foreign minister said on Sunday that outside interference would not solve the problem.

"It is in the interest of these powers to respect the existing regional order which is capable of solving any issue that may arise," Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed al-Khalifa said in a message on Twitter, without naming Turkey.

The 13 demands are apparently aimed at dismantling Qatar's interventionist foreign policy which has incensed conservative Arab peers over its alleged support for Islamists they regard as threats to their dynastic rule.

Qatar along with Turkey, whose ruling AK Party has its roots in Islamist politics, backed a Muslim Brotherhood government in Egypt before it was overthrown in 2013. The Arab states have demanded Qatar cut any links to the Brotherhood and other groups they deem to be terrorist, ideological or sectarian.

"NO PULLOUT"

Turkey, the most powerful regional country to stand by Qatar, has sent 100 cargo planes with supplies since its neighbours cut air and sea links. It has also rushed through legislation to send more troops to its base in Doha.

Two contingents of Turkish troops with columns of armoured vehicles have arrived since the crisis erupted on June 5, and Defence Minister Fikri Isik said on Friday that further reinforcements would be beneficial.

"The strengthening of the Turkish base would be a positive step in terms of the Gulf's security," he said. "Re-evaluating the base agreement with Qatar is not on our agenda."

Hurriyet newspaper said last week a joint exercise by Turkish and Qatari forces was expected following the Islamic Eid al-Fitr holiday which started on Sunday, and the number of Turkish soldiers sent to the Gulf state could eventually reach 1,000. An air force contingent was also envisaged, it said.

Erdogan said Turkey had also offered to establish a military base in Saudi Arabia, but never received a clear answer.

"If Saudi Arabia wants us to have base there, a step towards this also can be taken," he told reporters. "I made this offer to the king himself and they said they will consider this."

"They did not come back to us since that day and even though they still didn't come back to us on this, asking Turkey to pull back its troops (from Qatar) is disrespectful against Turkey."

Speaking outside the Istanbul mosque after prayers marking the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday, Erdogan said he would continue his planned programme despite feeling briefly unwell.

"I had a little condition about my blood pressure, related to my diabetes," he said.

(Additional reporting by Mohammed el Sherif in Cairo and Sami Aboudi in Dubai,; Writing by Dominic Evans; Editing by Robert Birsel, Jane Merriman and Susan Thomas)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-26

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

The 13 demands are apparently aimed at dismantling Qatar's interventionist foreign policy which has incensed conservative Arab peers over its alleged support for Islamists they regard as threats to their dynastic rule.

Nothing to do with the allegation that Qatar is sponsoring terrorism then? Only an idiot is unable to see through the bullshit here, although Donald fell for it initially, but has been shut up now. I for one, hope to see Al Jazeera around for a very long time and can only hope Qatars accusers take a close look at their own houses and their motives for this witch hunt.

58 minutes ago, trogers said:

It is unlawful intervention on another's sovereignty, and in the same breath, we will double the size of our military base there...

There is not real love between Arabs and Turks, and there will never be.

And let us not forget the unhealthy wishes of Mr Erdogan and his countrymen for a Greater Turkey.

The irony of this whole situation is that the primary accusers, are the filthiest people on earth, when it comes to the ongoing support of worldwide terrorism. And that is the house of Saud. They have spent over 100 billion US, and they continue to support those nasty Madrasas, and the propagation of the most hateful faith on the planet, Wahhabism. This faith has no connection with the creator. Nothing. No spiritual value, whatsoever. It is the practice of infidels, contrary to what this silly faith preaches. It has nothing to do with spiritual growth, and looking within. It is all about the propagation of hatred against non Sharia practicing people. Even Muslims. It does not matter. It is the essence of mindless dogma. Unless, and until those Madrasas are completely wiped out, and eliminated from the face of the earth, this terror will continue. We see it happening all across Europe, Pakistan, and all of the other places, that are unfortunate to host these extremist training academies, run by Imans that have no idea of what the Prophet's teachings were all about, who twist the doctrine to meet the objectives of their hate filled hearts, and their black souls.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it until I die, Saudi Arabia is enemy number one, on planet earth. 

Edited by spidermike007

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The irony of this whole situation is that the primary accusers, are the filthiest people on earth, when it comes to the ongoing support of worldwide terrorism. And that is the house of Saud. They have spent over 100 billion US, and they continue to support those nasty Madrasas, and the propagation of the most hateful faith on the planet, Wahhabism. This faith has no connection with the creator. Nothing. No spiritual value, whatsoever. It is the practice of infidels, contrary to what this silly faith preaches. It has nothing to do with spiritual growth, and looking within. It is all about the propagation of hatred against non Sharia practicing people. Even Muslims. It does not matter. It is the essence of mindless dogma. Unless, and until those Madrasas are completely wiped out, and eliminated from the face of the earth, this terror will continue. We see it happening all across Europe, Pakistan, and all of the other places, that are unfortunate to host these extremist training academies, run by Imans that have no idea of what the Prophet's teachings were all about, who twist the doctrine to meet the objectives of their hate filled hearts, and their black souls.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it until I die, Saudi Arabia is enemy number one, on planet earth. 

And our "beloved" ....... sells them a 100 billion worth of killing instruments.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Nothing to do with the allegation that Qatar is sponsoring terrorism then? Only an idiot is unable to see through the bullshit here, although Donald fell for it initially, but has been shut up now. I for one, hope to see Al Jazeera around for a very long time and can only hope Qatars accusers take a close look at their own houses and their motives for this witch hunt.

Agreed. Al Jazeera was the only news channel worth watch between British and American channels. Unfortunately Thailand has stoppoed it and all I have left is BBC. The USA channels just keep emitting garbage.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

It is unlawful intervention on another's sovereignty, and in the same breath, we will double the size of our military base there...

If the government of a country invites another country to station troops there, and, in fact, is eager to have those troops there, then no, it's not an infringement of sovereignty.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

If the government of a country invites another country to station troops there, and, in fact, is eager to have those troops there, then no, it's not an infringement of sovereignty.

None of the Arab countries are infringing Qatar's sovereignty by sending troops across borders. Closing borders to one who is perceived a security threat is called self-preservation.

And the action of inviting another who supports terrorists into one's country, supports that perception.

8 minutes ago, trogers said:

None of the Arab countries are infringing Qatar's sovereignty by sending troops across borders. Closing borders to one who is perceived a security threat is called self-preservation.

And the action of inviting another who supports terrorists into one's country, supports that perception.

So, now it's Turkey that supports terrorists and Saudi Arabia that doesn't? Really? And I've noticed you've backed off your contention that the presence of Turkish troops is a violation of Qatari sovereignty.

Edited by ilostmypassword

11 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So, now it's Turkey that supports terrorists and Saudi Arabia that doesn't? Really? And I've noticed you've backed off your contention that the presence of Turkish troops is a violation of Qatari sovereignty.

Now...now...

When did I assert that? I only pointed out that Turkey claimed the act of others is unlawful while their own act support the reason for this act of others.

1 hour ago, tigermoth said:

Agreed. Al Jazeera was the only news channel worth watch between British and American channels. Unfortunately Thailand has stoppoed it and all I have left is BBC. The USA channels just keep emitting garbage.

I watched Al Jazeera this morning mate. TrueVision. 

I usually watch AJ, BBC, RT, NHK, TV5, DW and Aussie TV.  Then CNBC and Bloomberg.

Addicted to the News.

Only one I don't bother with anymore is CNN.

43 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I do think that Qatar invited the Turkish military presence. In the same way you will find a French military presence in the UAE, including FFL and American and British in Bahrain.

However, Turkish troops entering Syria and Iraq uninvited is a violation of sovereignty. But they ain't the only ones.

1 hour ago, wabothai said:

And our "beloved" ....... sells them a 100 billion worth of killing instruments.

Yes. The US has always been, and continues to be totally hypocritical about the whole "democracy" thing. That is why very, very few people outside the US, and very few nations take the US seriously these days. Their credibility has been greatly diminished ever since Tiny George II, Cheating Cheney, Dimwit Donny Rumsfeld, and Paul Perilous Wolfowitz, declared war on Iraq, under false pretenses, and then those same nimrods, and Blundering Barry after them, attempted to transform the Middle East, unto their own likeness. To call it a dismal failure, would be to understate the most obvious. With regard to the vicious, hateful, nasty, ultra extremist, Wahhibi superfreak house of Saud, we have been kissing their butts for a long time, while knowing who they are, and what they are. That is what we do.

Under Cheeto do not expect much to change, except the only difference is that his naivety and lack of finesse, allows him to get outplayed by the Saudis, by Macron, Merkel, by the Chinese, and most others he deals with.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Now...now...

When did I assert that? I only pointed out that Turkey claimed the act of others is unlawful while their own act support the reason for this act of others.

Really? Is that what the following means?

It is unlawful intervention on another's sovereignty, and in the same breath, we will double the size of our military base there..."

Very creative interpretation.

26 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Really? Is that what the following means?

It is unlawful intervention on another's sovereignty, and in the same breath, we will double the size of our military base there..."

Very creative interpretation.

So you skipped reading the following in bold type? Turkey's own words...

President Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday dismissed calls for Turkey to close a military base in Qatar and said a wider list of demands issued by four Arab states was an unlawful intervention against the Gulf state's sovereignty.

10 minutes ago, trogers said:

So you skipped reading the following in bold type? Turkey's own words...

President Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday dismissed calls for Turkey to close a military base in Qatar and said a wider list of demands issued by four Arab states was an unlawful intervention against the Gulf state's sovereignty.

I don't see your point. Are you agreeing with Erdogan?

6 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I don't see your point. Are you agreeing with Erdogan?

I was saying that he called the act of countries that are against him "unlawful"...and he will carry on doing more to provoke these countries.

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

I was saying that he called the act of countries that are against him "unlawful"...and he will carry on doing more to provoke these countries.

Yes, he said that those countries' demands are legally unjustified.  As for doing more...what do you mean by that? That Turkey will continue sending troops to Qatar?  Is that illegal? If  the government of Turkey disagrees with other nations' policies should it nonetheless change its policies to align with what it believes are invalid claims?

Edited by ilostmypassword

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Now all that someone has to do is come up with a real great reason for going there.

I meant that to fly to Thailand or any other country not in the sanction area, good deals would be available....I was not actually refering to do sightseeing in Doha!!:cheesy:...but thanks anyway as obviously my comment was not clear so I changed it a bit!!

Edited by observer90210

37 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, he said that those countries' demands are legally unjustified.  As for doing more...what do you mean by that? That Turkey will continue sending troops to Qatar?  Is that illegal? If  the government of Turkey disagrees with other nations' policies should it nonetheless change its policies to align with what it believes are invalid claims?

How does doing something for self-protection illegal? Turkey provokes, and then called the reaction of his targets illegal...

When is the international community going to say  'Enough is enough !', and stop doing business with the semi-dictator of Turkey (I guess even the term 'dictator' wouldn't be wrong) ?! He is making life a misery for certain segments of the population (and it looks like he will continue to do so in the future),  and he has been one of the main culprits of the bloodshed in Syria and Iraq.

And, I am 99.9999 percent sure that Erdogan's ultimate aim is to Islamise Turkey as much as possible, for example making the country a partial-sharia state.

Shame to all my countrymen/countrywomen who have voted for him and shame to those in the international community who continue to do business with him. Even some military deals have been signed in the recent past (for example during Theresa May's recent visit to Turkey). Shame.

15 minutes ago, trogers said:

How does doing something for self-protection illegal? Turkey provokes, and then called the reaction of his targets illegal...

How many times have acts of aggression been justified in the name of self-protection? Just because Saudi Arabia and the rest of the crew claim that this is the case, doesn't make it so.  

2 minutes ago, JemJem said:

When is the international community going to say  'Enough is enough !', and stop doing business with the semi-dictator of Turkey (I guess even the term 'dictator' wouldn't be wrong) ?! He is making life a misery for certain segments of the population (and it looks like he will continue to do so in the future),  and he has been one of the main culprits of the bloodshed in Syria and Iraq.

And, I am 99.9999 percent sure that Erdogan's ultimate aim is to Islamise Turkey as much as possible, for example making the country a partial-sharia state.

Shame to all my countrymen/countrywomen who have voted for him and shame to those in the international community who continue to do business with him. Even some military deals have been signed in the recent past (for example during Theresa May's recent visit to Turkey). Shame.

And hooray for all those in the international community  who continues doing business with the governments of Saudi Arabia and Egypt and Kuwait and the UAE. God bless them every one!

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

How many times have acts of aggression been justified in the name of self-protection? Just because Saudi Arabia and the rest of the crew claim that this is the case, doesn't make it so.  

Closing one's borders and ceasing trade and contact is aggression?

So, our parents taught us wrong to ignore and avoid bullies. We would become the aggressor.