Chiang Mai Expects To Get Bt2 Billion From Tourism During New Year Holidays

george

Chiang Mai expects to get Bt2 billion from tourism during New Year holidays

CHIANG MAI: -- The Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce expects to see tourism during the long New Year holidays generate about Bt2 billion for the province.

Narong Tananuwat, chairman of the Chiang Mai Chamber of Commece, said about 60,000 tourists are visiting the northern province each day from December 29 to January 2 and they will spend about Bt2 billion in the province during the period.

-- The Nation 2006-12-30

There may be some businesses that are disappointed in this prediction..

They are mostly Thai and will spend much less than Westerners usually do. :o

really ? i've seen many bangkokians who come up here and spend a lot more to what farangs fork out. unless of course your business solely caters to farangs. (which i am sure it does). most businesses do however benefit from the extra $$$ in the system.

I beg to differ.

I know a lot of successful Thai and Farang businessmen and I can't think of one that isn't moaning about the situation this year.

One example would be the Montri Hotel which is full every night, but they are complaining because no one uses their restaurant or room service or internet service or business center.

Another example, is that they usually have a tour operator booking tours in the lobby, but Thais don't use it at all, so this year, they aren't even bothering to pay someone a measly salary to sit there.

My business depends on expats as much as tourists, so I'm still doing pretty well, but, like everybody else, the more foreign tourists that are in town, the more money I make.

I beg to differ.

I know a lot of successful Thai and Farang businessmen and I can't think of one that isn't moaning about the situation this year.

One example would be the Montri Hotel which is full every night, but they are complaining because no one uses their restaurant or room service or internet service or business center.

Another example, is that they usually have a tour operator booking tours in the lobby, but Thais don't use it at all, so this year, they aren't even bothering to pay someone a measly salary to sit there.

My business depends on expats as much as tourists, so I'm still doing pretty well, but, like everybody else, the more foreign tourists that are in town, the more money I make.

Your business ALWAYS does well UG :D

Otherwise you would be spending so much money in the local eaterys :o

Looks like that to me, too, UG. BTW, what's your business, if I may be so forward. Been in LOS for three years now and on TV for 2, but haven't noticed, or maybe memory wiped . One of the few benefits of my recent motorbike mishap is that I can attribute many personal defects to recent head trauma, however implausible. Anyway, just curious, since you're one of the posters whose info about CM I regularly find useful in a practical way.