Tourists flee fire at Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit

webfact

Tourists flee fire at Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Photo: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- At midnight, a hundred guests at the Marriott Hotel on Sukhumvit 47 were evacuated from the hotel after a fire started in a vent on the sixth floor level of the hotel.

Firefighters spent 20 minutes getting the blaze under control. There were no injuries reported.

Street vendors in the area told reporters that they saw smoke coming out of the sixth floor of the hotel, then the hotel guests came down and started gathering outside it.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tourists-flee-fire-marriott-hotel-sukhumvit/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-06-29

3 hours ago, buick said:

i think they mean the marriott on sukhumvit soi 57.  

There is also one on the corner of Soi 2, next to the Ploen Chit Centre (Villa Foods) .  Backs (more or less) onto the Nana Hotel.  Which one was it?

Edited by The Deerhunter

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

There is also one on the corner of Soi 2, next to the Ploen Chit Centre (Villa Foods) .  Backs (more or less) onto the Nana Hotel.  Which one was it?

If you click the full story link, it is the Marriott on Soi 57. 

18 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

It was the one at Sukhumvit 57. 

This is the Marriott Executive Apartments Bangkok, Sukhumvit Thonglor

It  offers extended stay facilities with a fully equipped kitchen. It's a low rise (8 storey) building so not a catastrophe waiting to happen. As a Marriott it has to have functioning fire alarms, and fire/smoke detection system. Staff must be trained in  fire safety and the use of fire suppression systems.

Score one for the benefits of a big hotel chain's  life and safety standards.

the original article was edited to correct 47 to 57 (per the footnote on the article).  the hotel is over 40 stories, not sure about the 8 floor comment in post 9. when i read the article, i imagined being at their rooftop bar when a fire started below.  that would not be fun !

i watched the first interstate tower in los angeles burn in 1988. i was in the rotating bar on the upper floor of the bonaventure, which is nearby and provided a perfect view.  no fire sprinklers required in those days but only a few floors were gutted.