Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Dengue vaccination

Robert24

And that is what I found on
http://www.who.int/immunization/research/development/dengue_vaccines/en/

The first dengue vaccine, Dengvaxia (CYD-TDV) by Sanofi Pasteur, was first registered in Mexico in December, 2015. CYD-TDV is a live recombinant tetravalent dengue vaccine that has been evaluated as a 3-dose series on a 0/6/12 month schedule in Phase III clinical studies. It has been registered for use in individuals 9-45 years of age living in endemic areas.

WHO recommends that countries should consider introduction of the dengue vaccine CYD-TDV only in geographic settings (national or subnational) where epidemiological data indicate a high burden of disease.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And from this Thai site:

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/blog/travel-medicine-issue/dengue-vaccine-for-travelersforeigners-in-thailand-should-i-get-it.html

In conclusion, let’s me repeat our recommendation again

We DO NOT recommend the use of dengue vaccine in travelers visiting Thailand. For those who live/work in Thailand (the expat), we also do not recommend. However if you are an expat lived in Thailand or other dengue risk area for at least 9 years, you may be eligible to get the vaccine. 

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for those details. I can understand the travellers part. The point about that you need to live in a dengue epidemic area for more than 9 years, I don't understand. One would think better safe and get vaccine especially given the fact it is very safe. Even if it only prevents 66% of the infections, that's already quite good. And in 80% of the cases the symptoms are milder when you get infected.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

Is one less liable to get dengue when older?

No.  This is simply ass-covering by the manufacturer.  The vaccine was only tested on young people during development, so they have no evidence that it is effective in the more elderly.  However, from a scientific point of view, there is no reason to think that there aren't benefits from it for those in an older age range.

Southeast Asians are less likely to get it when older for the simple reason that they will usually have already had all the strains by then. An older person who did not grow up in a dengue endemic country, on the other hand, can certainly get it.

I think if you go to a doctor used to dealing with western populations no problem to get the vaccine even if you are over 45.

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Southeast Asians are less likely to get it when older for the simple reason that they will usually have already had all the strains by then. An older person who did not grow up in a dengue endemic country, on the other hand, can certainly get it.

I think if you go to a doctor used to dealing with western populations no problem to get the vaccine even if you are over 45.

Thanks Sheryl

question is is it worth vaccinating?

For me the chance of death seems very very low, but several of my friends who've spent any years here have had dengue.

I guess the question is

1. How many cases per annum in CM? (Did I see a figure in the low hundreds?

2. Population of CM?

combining these two should give a fair idea of the risk per annum, then there's the:

3. Cost of vaccine?

Any ideas on these anyone?

10 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks Sheryl

question is is it worth vaccinating?

For me the chance of death seems very very low, but several of my friends who've spent any years here have had dengue.

I guess the question is

1. How many cases per annum in CM? (Did I see a figure in the low hundreds?

2. Population of CM?

combining these two should give a fair idea of the risk per annum, then there's the:

3. Cost of vaccine?

Any ideas on these anyone?

The cost would be in excess of 10.000 Bht.(3x300Bht ++) at the Thai Travel Clinic, Hospital for Tropical Diseases
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/blog/travel-medicine-issue/dengue-vaccine-for-travelersforeigners-in-thailand-should-i-get-it.html

Be aware that it is likely that those over 45 or those who have lived less than 9 years in Thailand will be refused at this facility.

Thai Travel Cli

Thanks PP
So it's expensive enough one wants to know the incidence.
I just looked this up from The Nation, CM had a prevalence of 40.77 per 100,000 from Jan to July, I guess that's 80 per 100k per annum......although the mosquito prevalence probably varies thru the year........but ballpark under 1/1000 chance p.a.
At this rate I wouldn't consider a vaccine, specially at only 65% efficacy.
The strange thing is, I'm at a table with four of us, all been here average 15 years. One person been infected once one person twice, so three infections, two mild, one very bad experience. I certainly have other expat friends been infected.
Hmmmm.....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks PP
So it's expensive enough one wants to know the incidence.
I just looked this up from The Nation, CM had a prevalence of 40.77 per 100,000 from Jan to July, I guess that's 80 per 100k per annum......although the mosquito prevalence probably varies thru the year........but ballpark under 1/1000 chance p.a.
At this rate I wouldn't consider a vaccine, specially at only 65% efficacy.
The strange thing is, I'm at a table with four of us, all been here average 15 years. One person been infected once one person twice, so three infections, two mild, one very bad experience. I certainly have other expat friends been infected.
Hmmmm.....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That statistic doesn't capture all the cases that get misdiagnosed as flu/cold or all those that don't go to hospital. I think the risk is quite high that you get it at some point when you live here longer. Just hope you don't get the severe dengue version. Personally I will get the vaccine.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

True. I believe I have had 3 strains of it already. Did not get tested at the time so can't confirm, but the symptoms fit.

• 4 months later...

Archived