Out of town, near Chiang Mai?

toast1

Thinking of getting out of town for a night, anyone suggest a temple or small town that's not too far?

Or even somewhere in a quiet area of CM

Chiang Dao is nice but a few hours away, I'm looking for something a little closer - just a place to relax that has a reasonable guesthouse - somewhere I can get to by songtow or taxi - or perhaps scooter.

Many thanks

36 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Chiang Dao is nice but a few hours away,

yes if you are cycling its 4 hours away

on a scooter or a car its an hour!............just do it; you can be back for lunch if you dont like it!

Mon Cham has a number of new little hotel/home stay places nice motorbike ride from CM... (go up the back road)

try to go on a weekday as this place is very popular for the Thais on weekends ;-)

We've stayed here overnight (they have a coffee shop on site which is great in the morning)... Better to have someone who speaks Thai call and reserve;-)

http://www.vayahouse.com/

Edited by sfokevin

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, sfokevin said:

Take a tongtow to Lamphun...

For a 2 day trip take the train to Lampang or bus to Payao

Lamphun has some quiet hotels beside the river. Ultra boring town though.

Interesting m,bike trip down the old Lamphun Chiang Mai road with magnificent big trees. Watch out for the traffic though. Like all roads in Thailand, the traffic is insane.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, anto said:

Mae rim ,is just 30 out ,and quite pleasant . 

Passed through there once and never again- traffic is insane to the max. Now I go on the quiet road to the east and cross back to the north highway past Mae Rim where the Mae Hong Son turn off is.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Passed through there once and never again- traffic is insane to the max. Now I go on the quiet road to the east and cross back to the north highway past Mae Rim where the Mae Hong Son turn off is.

The main 117 out from town is a busy road ,but not too bad between rush hours .Mae rim is nice and quiet and has many attractions ,when you  turn off  to the West off that main road .