About to buy the Sony Xperia XZ Premium

IS there any particular reason you want the Sony? Reviews have been mixed. I assume you don't like Samsung so much, but how about the new HTC U11? While it's currently only available via store.ais , other than the slow mo video recording, it equals or betters the Sony in almost all other regards.

I've always wanted to on a Sony, but the inconsistency of their camera performance always put me off. Mind you, until the U11 came along the same was true for HTC.

Currently I have a Samsung S8. First Samsung I've owned for about 4 years. An excellent phone, but I find the curved screen annoying (prone to glare and accidental touches, and screen protectors don't always stick at the edges), and the lack of bezels at the bottom makes is prone to accidental touches there too. At least that's my experiences. Shame, as everything is pretty cool.

Not sure where you are located, but Pattaya has a Sony Service Centre.  I'd be very surprised if Bangkok and other major urban centers don't have them, as well.

[edited:]  Oops, I see your location is Phuket.  Found this on a Sony web page:

sony_phuket.jpg.c6d27bdb233c30e772a39212da6bcc6f.jpg

Even if that is just a drop point to forward devices to Bangkok, would that satisfy your needs?

Edited by wpcoe

I am a big fan of Sony Xperia smartphones, originally because many of them are waterproof to a high degree.  I take long walks here in Thailand and tend to sweat a lot, so a waterproof phone means I don’t have to worry about it in my pocket as I had to for earlier phones.  (And wives and girlfriends over the decades are unanimous that I am too stupid to come in out of the rain.) 

I had an Xperia Z1 for many years here and now use a Z5.  These are waterproof enough for my uses, and I love them.  I believe that the new XZ Premium is waterproof, but I’m not sure. 

I don’t know much about Sony repair shops here, since I’ve never had problems with the phones. 

I have owned Samsung for years, from their tiny flat phone (forgot the name) through to their 7 v2 prime (wife and son have Samsungs).

I stopped using Samsung myself 3 years ago after the Asus Zenfone 2 came out. Since then, repaired it twice, dropped it many times, and it shows its age.

I have for the past 4 months youtubing all these new phones. Very exhausted with all of these iterations. I narrowed it down to S8+, Huawei 10 pro and Sony XZ Premium.

All nice phones, with their strengths and weaknesses. I played with all these phones for weeks (1 week with the premium) at the local shops. Music with headphones, photos, videos, speed.

For my personal use, the S8+ is very overpriced. Nice 6.2 screen, but I do not need it THAT big. 5.5 is my ideal size. 

I bought the Sony. Nice screen, curved side edges, do not care about infinity screen (easier to make mistakes) and great software. I will eventually root it but not for a bit, to delete the apps that cannot be  uninstalled (Facebook and tons of google crap).

Had it for 2 days. Still learning all its little quirks. VERY different from Samsung android iteration! Nice change.