Walking Street, Beach Road and Central Pattaya in 1987

• Walking Street really didn't exist back then, they could still drive down the street, but no parking.  Marine Bar was very active, as was John's Diner, Swiss Chalet, Copa, Dicks Sportsman, (Belgian) Steakhouse, Cinqo Estrella, BJ's, BJ-2, Dangs Hotdogs, Silver Dollar, TQ and TQ-2, Pump House, soon and so forth.  Katoey's were few and far between, very low key.
  • Yeah, the beach was swimmable, the Jet Ski's weren't must of a hassle cause they were kind of expensive for the normal tourist, or Expat, that's why there weren't so many of them, if you notice they were just sleds with outboard motors on them.  You could rent one for half a day for 500baht, take one out and go fishing.
  • As one said, the girls smiled a lot back then, and were very shy of camera's - NO Cell Phones!!, no Barfines..............$$ was 25 baht to one, but a beer was 10-12 baht :sleep:

4 hours ago, nasanews said:

Why would anyone call development and progress shit?

Well, it might be "shit" for one to progress towards, and over, the edge of a cliff, or for one to develop into an a****ole.

That is not an observation on the condition of Pattaya.

I like visiting it.

Edited by Enoon

One could actually swim in the sea there.

Anyway before the '80ies you could.

I used to drive up there from Bangkok during the weekend but after they changed the reed roofs and tables to plastic parasols, among other changes, I stopped going to Pattaya and went to Bang Saen Beach instead.

Jomtien Beach was just a dirt road, no bars and empty fields.

I used to know a Thai who owned land there and sold this for Bht 30,000 - still pulling his hair about it . :cheesy: