Aussie victim blamed for his death by Thai parasailing men

webfact

Geeze what a cover up. Firstly they disclose these operators are lacking sufficient licences and paperwork to operate . Plus gear not reliable Now its the Aussie's fault <deleted> off.

Where is Red Bull Hear (Mr Wally) not a word. LMAO at Thai justice.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My Thai wife thought the same as you but explained it away as maybe she has never seen parasailing and thought it was part of it

seeing your husband fall off can' be understood as being part of it... 

46 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

How do you know it wasn't suicide?
Thousands of people around the world are looking for ways to end it but still have the insurance payout for their families.
Best one I ever heard was a clever chap who drove out into the desert and tied several large helium balloons to his gun and shot himself in the head.. Balloons took the gun miles away.. But they found the gun

Have you watched the video? That was not a movie about a man that was a minute away from ending his own life! :coffee1:  

52 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

How do you know it wasn't suicide?
Thousands of people around the world are looking for ways to end it but still have the insurance payout for their families.
Best one I ever heard was a clever chap who drove out into the desert and tied several large helium balloons to his gun and shot himself in the head.. Balloons took the gun miles away.. But they found the gun

Insurance will still pay out in case of suicide, unless it was a new policy.

27 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Geeze what a cover up. Firstly they disclose these operators are lacking sufficient licences and paperwork to operate . Plus gear not reliable Now its the Aussie's fault <deleted> off.

Where is Red Bull Hear (Mr Wally) not a word. LMAO at Thai justice.

The first they are authorities, the second they the operators.

And of course the operators don't admit fault, would legally be a very bad move.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The first they are authorities, the second they the operators.

And of course the operators don't admit fault, would legally be a very bad move.

Correct.... only an idiot would admit guilt.

IMHO, the chief instructor from Thai sky adventures, over near Patts, should be asked to come and investigate, as he's probably the most qualified person in the country to determine were fault actually lies

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

I would question what a 71 yo is doing parasailing. I would also question why, if he was an experienced parasailer, he would not have corrected the flaws in the equipment before getting airborne.

The Thai guys may or may not be guilty of negligence. However, parasailing is a high risk activity and to a certain extent the person taking on that risk has a responsibility for their own safety.

Well, firstly ,FYI,there are many 71 yo's that are more than fit and able to do, not just parasailing, but all manner of other extreme activities..Yes? So why not enjoy their time doing whatever they feel able to do, or do you think they should all be locked away in a retirement home or similar doing nothing more stimulating that playing cards etc?

Not all post 70 yo's are burnt out, fat gutted, lethargic bar dwellers you know.

I would question what leads you to think that he was indeed in any way an experienced parasailer?

As a smart, well educated man, i'm sure he did realise that parasailing is at the lower end of  high risk activities before he set out, but pray tell, what could he possibly do to ensure any responsibility at all for his own safety [apart from simply just not going on the thing]?

One thing I have learned to dread is the frantic hurry up mode Thais get into. The more of them involved the worse it gets. Just at the moment when you desperately need clear work flow, communication, and calculated decisions, you get this rush to get on with it. Whenever I have a project dear to me, I do it myself because then I can step back, rethink and be sure. If I stop and rethink a project in motion when I am working with Thais, it usually ends up in them walking away or getting offended in some way. There is no think, only do (Yoda was Thai).

I say this because I see that hurry up mode in action as they hook that guy up and I am sure that the guy in the back saw the error but could not break his programming and say wait! Stop! It's not right. That would be immediate loss of face. Somehow it is better, in their minds, to let the mistake play out, than it is to stick your neck out. Maybe that way way they were all wrong together and no one gets singled out.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

That is a saying only found on forums like this.

Not true my friend..  I first entered Thailand 5 Dec 1967.. with the military..  Through extensions and a few reassignments , departed in 1975..  The  theory "If you weren't there, the accident wouldn't have happened"..  was part of our initial briefings. Back in those days we had a lot more taxies up-country than now..  Side note:  We have had our home north of Udon Thani  since 1981.. so I am not a newbie to Thailand..  Cheers..  

5 minutes ago, HuaKuaGuy88 said:

Not true my friend..  I first entered Thailand 5 Dec 1967.. with the military..  Through extensions and a few reassignments , departed in 1975..  The  theory "If you weren't there, the accident wouldn't have happened"..  was part of our initial briefings. Back in those days we had a lot more taxies up-country than now..  Side note:  We have had our home north of Udon Thani  since 1981.. so I am not a newbie to Thailand..  Cheers..  

Maybe in 1967 that was true. Not now and not since many years.

I think there is a strong element of liability when providing a product or service which has a monetary return to the provider.  When there are possible failures or design limitations the provider must make every effort to contain and mistake-proof the failures.  The provider can expect severe ramifications and liability for any injuries/death which arise from the use of the product or service.  I think this is pretty standard - - - oh wait, we're in Thailand.

3 hours ago, jenifer d said:

the 3 times i went up in Patong, guy jumped on with me each trip, it was actually part of the fun,

especially when they knew i could speak Thai, i got some extra cool treatment-

never seen any of them use spotters anywhere, even years ago Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

that said, it is highly improbable, verging on impossible, for it to be the tourist's fault,

all indications point to poorly maintained and/or secured equipment, negligence in properly hooking up

all the harness/straps in the beginning-

were everything properly connected and in good working order and quality, there should have been no problem

posed by the flyboy along with the customer, the operative phrase being

"everything properly connected and in good working order"

Right wrote, :smile:

In that way - Parasailing is done in Phuket since long, I come since 1990 when strong winds are blowing or the passenger looks weak, is old or a woman. 

The second guy sits in the ropes and not on the shoulders = above the shoulders in the Parasail ropes.

My opinion - with strong winds, from the sea towards the beach is the second Thai-man on the umbrella necessary to bring the flier or umbrella to sink - otherwise it can hang like a dragon in the wind - if the passenger does not know what to do Or wind too strong for the passenger.

In Caribbean, the umbrellas were launched in platform in sea in St.Lucia a couple of decades ago, and later rope was hooked into a carabiner on platform to land precisely on platform and also because strong wind, the umbrellas did not drop. ;-)

2 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Dead men don't talk. Same for the Aussie Cyclists a month ago. He just fell off his bike for no reason into the path of the scooter. I find it interesting that the man can actually release himself and if you look at the video very quickly and easily as he fell seconds after take off.  The 'guest' should not be able to release themselves, isn't that why a guide is with them?

No - not the reason. 

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

During a bad monsoon storm in1988 (or 1989) I was in the old post office in Patong when the power suddenly went down and everybody ran outside, two parachute speed boats had crossed their lines and the lines to the chutes (with paying customers) broke off. One of the customers ended in the power lines and got electrocuted the other got tangled in a tree and broke her arm. I could not believe that they could take out customers in such a strong wind, pure madness! Another year a Japanese girl was up for 9 hours in the chute and was charged for the extra time!!! they could not get her down before that as the wind was too strong. 

OMG - :shock1:

BUT, for the Japanese girl - sure so long, OH?

Anyway - must have been a really bad storm, otherwise, beach the boat and try to pull the parasail down with some men power,

or, if to heavy, 

drive a truck to the water, fixate a long enough rope with a carabine - snap hook on it, then let the parasail rope run threw the snap hook,

when the boat drives out again. :smile:

2 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

OMG - :shock1:

BUT, for the Japanese girl - sure so long, OH?

Anyway - must have been a really bad storm, otherwise, beach the boat and try to pull the parasail down with some men power,

or, if to heavy, 

drive a truck to the water, fixate a long enough rope with a carabine - snap hook on it, then let the parasail rope run threw the snap hook,

when the boat drives out again. :smile:

Lol... note to self

self.... never get involved with anything ALFREDO suggests.

14 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol... note to self

self.... never get involved with anything ALFREDO suggests.

Why - you like more hanging in the air 9 hours - I think maybe - was not really 9 hours?

The way - I wrote it, they work Parasailing in the Caribbean since 1980 what I saw,

A swimming Platform in the sea, you start from there alone - coming back the rope comes near enough to the platform to catch it and let snap the rope in the snap hook, boat drives on again and you land on your starting place.

So Wise guy - what is wrong with my idea you pushed away - if there is a difficult situation?  

Enlighten me, :biggrin:

Your imagination cannot follow - is possible. lol :smile:

11 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Why - you like more hanging in the air 9 hours - I think maybe - was not really 9 hours?

The way - I wrote it, they work Parasailing in the Caribbean since 1980 what I saw,

A swimming Platform in the sea, you start from there alone - coming back the rope comes near enough to the platform to catch it and let snap the rope in the snap hook, boat drives on again and you land on your starting place.

So Wise guy - what is wrong with my idea you pushed away - if there is a difficult situation?  

Enlighten me, :biggrin:

Your imagination cannot follow - is possible. lol :smile:

Lol.... what you saw in the Caribbean is completely different to your suggestion, and as it was (probably) designed for a safer take off and landing, and a tried and practiced method, it sounds fine.... especially because it was mounted on a swimming platform, allowing the boat to approach from whatever direction the wind dictated.

now... toss a truck (SUV?) into the mix on a narrow thai beach, with a boat involved, and a bunch of Thais, having not practiced this, and I predict death will shortly follow.

Now.... being realistic for a moment, when the boat has backed onto that beach, to get near the truck, the parasailer will probably be somewhere up near big Buddha, saying his final farewells.... oops... fail.

now.... if on the other hand, the boat heads out to sea a bit, then turns against the wind, the parasail will descend....lowering the parasailer into the water, were he / she can then be retrieved.

yes it does entail getting wet.... but I'd rather try that than risk being sucked thru a carabiner attached to a truck, by an incompetent boat operator.

consider yourself enlightened ?

23 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol.... what you saw in the Caribbean is completely different to your suggestion, and as it was (probably) designed for a safer take off and landing, and a tried and practiced method, it sounds fine.... especially because it was mounted on a swimming platform, allowing the boat to approach from whatever direction the wind dictated.

now... toss a truck (SUV?) into the mix on a narrow thai beach, with a boat involved, and a bunch of Thais, having not practiced this, and I predict death will shortly follow.

Now.... being realistic for a moment, when the boat has backed onto that beach, to get near the truck, the parasailer will probably be somewhere up near big Buddha, saying his final farewells.... oops... fail.

now.... if on the other hand, the boat heads out to sea a bit, then turns against the wind, the parasail will descend....lowering the parasailer into the water, were he / she can then be retrieved.

yes it does entail getting wet.... but I'd rather try that than risk being sucked thru a carabiner attached to a truck, by an incompetent boat operator.

consider yourself enlightened ?

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

During a bad monsoon storm ... a Japanese girl was up for 9 hours in the chute and was charged for the extra time!!! they could not get her down before that as the wind was too strong. 

I had my solution for above emergency situation, brought to notice from -HiSoLowSoNoSo- you have no clue, so why follow up more. 

:smile:

"Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

7 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

I had my solution for above emergency situation, brought to notice from -HiSoLowSoNoSo- you have no clue, so why follow up more. 

:smile:

"Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

But but but.... you specifically asked me "what is wrong with my idea..." and " enlighten me" (at post 171)

Therefore I obliged your request and pointed out the fault in your solution.... and despite your claim that I have no clue, offered what would be a safer alternative.... one with less chance of death

however, I have found something true in your latest post, so that's a positive.... as you are definitely dragging me down to your level.... naughty boy ?..... ?

52 minutes ago, Yme said:

Not the chest strap, unless the life vests three clips were first undone.... but.... the tension in the harness would likely make releasing the harness chest strap impossible, without having first released the tension in the system

so.... first undone three life vest clips.... pull the vest clear of the chest.... find the buckle and draw it sideways to allow the loose strap to slide thru ( it will not slide all the way thru as the end of the strap will not pass thru the buckle).... then undo the strap buckle..... somehow dodge past the tow rope anchor secured directly in front of the chest.... and fall

all this needs to be premeditated (and practiced) and will take far longer than the time frame in this incident

that said, if the harness chest strap was released ( or broke), the deceased would have had to fall forward, and turn upside down, to then fall free of the leg straps. This did not happen... he fell feet first

from looking at the harness, post incident, it appears as though the webbing on the leg straps may have torn, but its a poor photo to look at, even when blown up to the point of blurring.

the vid shows the deceased swinging to the right, suggesting that the left leg harness webbing may have failed, followed by overloading the right side leg strap, causing that to fail, allowing the deceased to fall feet first out of the harness (this is guesswork)

this is why the gear needs to be examined by an expert.... the Phuket police don't qualify in this respect... to determine the most likely scenario leading to this fatality.... the harness will tell us what happened if examined by someone with a clue

10 hours ago, Maggusoil said:

and death . . . and in the land of rebirth, the consequences are not as final. Are they?

they  never  are  with  the  gullible  and  stupid  who'll believe anything  without a shred of  evidence..............this  the  harm belief  without evidence can  cause

6 hours ago, ozterix said:

the scene is apparently filmed by his wife... I d

How do you know that , could have been a relative or just a stranger asked to film . 

The failsafe to any of these ventures, is once the client is strapped in, they stay strapped in until they land. I have done a bit of water skiing; my gear was always first rate. This is the stuff that protects u and others. Their gear looked tied.

Unfortunately stupidity protects no one.

RIP

Archived