Medical Extension of Tourist Visa in Chiang Mai

I have a few questions regarding obtaining a medical extension of stay (not sure whether this would technically involve an extension of my current visa or the issuing of a new visa of a different type). I am currently in Thailand on a 30 day extension of a 60 day single entry tourist visa. During this stay, I developed a medical problem which required surgery (already completed), and will require another 6 months or so of ongoing treatment, which I will also be doing here. I already have a medical certificate from the hospital stating that I will be unable to travel for the next 6 months. Questions: Is there anything else I will need to provide at Immigration to receive an extension, besides the usual passport copies, photos, and such? Does anyone have a link to the form used to apply for this type of extension, or can you tell me the name of the form? Do they ever grant 6 month medical extensions in one go, or is this something I will have to apply for anew every 90 days? In Chiang Mai, is this type of extension handled at the Promenada Immigration office or the airport one? I would assume Promenada, but would like confirmation. Thanks in advance for your help.

You would apply for an extension of stay based upon medical treatment.

You may need more than what you have already.

You need to contact immigration in Chiang Mai at the Promenada office (the airport office is closed). I understand they have their own special forms that are needed along with the standard TM7 extension application form.

The longest extension you can get is 90 days but they could issue it for less. It depends upon the what officer approving the application gives you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would apply for an extension of stay based upon medical treatment.

You may need more than what you have already.

You need to contact immigration in Chiang Mai at the Promenada office (the airport office is closed). I understand they have their own special forms that are needed along with the standard TM7 extension application form.

The longest extension you can get is 90 days but they could issue it for less. It depends upon the what officer approving the application gives you.

Thank you.