UAE passing through Dubai

Greetings I am arranging for my ex-wife and son to meet their grandfather later in the year. He said he works in the north of Oman, and that Thai people don't need a visa for Oman. I checked that out, he is right about that but he told me that he is much nearer Dubai/Abu Dhabi. than Muscat, well about   4 hours nearer. He said I should be able to just fly them into the UAE spend a day there, travel across the border and then do the reverse on the way back.He told me his colleague did the same thing and that Thai people can now get a visa on-line without too much trouble if they are just passing through. Has anyone been through this process. Did they have any difficulties. They would only spend a night there, once when they arrive and then once when they go back.   

I'm pretty sure that your ex-wife will need a visa to transit the UAE, Thai people need a visa to transit the airports within the UAE.

When my wife and I went to Dubai last year she applied for her visa via Emirates, it was relatively easy though she did have to supply details of her UK and Schenghen Visas and the accommodation details in Dubai, there was a fee though it was processed online within 24 hours. I believe that Emirates are running a promotion at the moment and waiving the visa free for three months.

We found that other carriers, including Thai, wouldn't process visas but directed you to a travel/visa agency in the UAE, using these routes required the deposit of a bond.

I'll think you'll find that Thais get a visa on arrival in Oman, rather than visa free, this is from the IATA website, though this is for air arrivals, it may be different for land crossings.:

E-visas can be obtained before departure at https://evisa.rop.gov.om/en/voa . Passengers must have a printed e-visa confirmation.

Nationals of Thailand with a normal passport traveling as tourists can obtain a single entry visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 1 month. They must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation or a private residential address with contact details in Oman. They can apply to extend their stay for an additional 1 month.

Visa on arrival fee must be paid in local currency (OMR) or by credit card and there are no currency exchange facilities available at Salalah (SLL).

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa:

Female nationals of Thailand traveling alone to Oman:
- must have a confirmed reservation for a 4-star hotel; and
- must have proof of sufficient funds; and
- must have a confirmed return/onward ticket; and
- must have at least 30 days between visits; and
- are allowed to stay for maximum 1 month for each stay

I suspect it would probably be easier (and cheaper perhaps) for them to travel the extra fours hours from Muscat than to try to do as the Grandfather suggests.

UAE visa for them as Thai's are doable, but it would require a 30 day ME one, due to the two entries, the one that Old Git cites is for the transit visa, problematic as they would depart and enter (after Oman) UAE by a land border, this transit visa is designed for those flying in and out, hence why they are done by the airlines.

Oman - if you read what Old Git quoted, then it clearly states that they must have a return/onward ticket to get the VOA, again land border entry and departure may scuttle that.

4 hours travelling to most Thai's is a walk in the park, they think nothing of 12 hour bus rides whilst in Thailand.

Edited by Mattd