Traditional Roast Pork dinner

Can someone please advise where l can get a good traditional (western) roast pork meal with veggies and roast potatoes? l am in Pathum Thani but am happy to try reasonably priced places (preferably not in a hotel) in Bangkok, or Nonthaburi, as well as Pathum Thani etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

l have had no luck in the western food forum

There are loads of places that do a traditional Sunday Roast in Bangkok.

Jools - http://www.joolsbar.com/menu/maincourse.html

Chequers - http://www.chequersbangkok.com/menu.htm

Royal Oak - http://www.royaloakthailand.com/food-and-drink.php

The Londoner - http://www.the-londoner.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/FoodDrinks_Menu.pdf

The Black Swan - Suk 19

The Queen Vic - http://www.queenvicbkk.com/#menu-item-2720

And many many more.

12 hours ago, sklmeeera said:

You want to check out what they do to pigs here before you decide to eat one .

feed it and kill it? put cut up pieces of pigs on the back of unrefrigerated pick up truck and transport it to the market with flies all swarming on the meat?

26 minutes ago, mike324 said:

feed it and kill it? put cut up pieces of pigs on the back of unrefrigerated pick up truck and transport it to the market with flies all swarming on the meat?

You do eat the pork well-cooked, do you not?

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You do eat the pork well-cooked, do you not?

Roast pork should be done, very slightly pink in the center, and very moist. After resting 10 minutes, the roast should reach a safe 145-150 degrees.

I found the quality of the pork in Thailand (particularly the tenderloin) far superior to pork I ate in the UK.

Same for the chicken.

http://www.pork.co.nz/tips/cooking-pork-perfectly.php

Edited by Jip99

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Roast pork should be done, very slightly pink in the center, and very moist. After resting 10 minutes, the roast should reach a safe 145-150 degrees.

I found the quality of the pork in Thailand (particularly the tenderloin) far superior to pork I ate in the UK.

Same for the chicken.

That is your opinion, not mine. I like pork very well done, so done the meat shreds and the bones pull out of it easily. You may like the lechon (roast pork) in the PI, the meat is still pink and solid, almost chewy.  If you like yours medium rare, well that is your problem.

I have never heard of a Traditional Sunday Pork Dinner, but in the west we have Sunday Beef Roasts Dinners. I guess maybe they

substitute pork for beef since Thai Beef is disgusting. Most of the Roasts in Bangkok would be the Beef variety. I personally like The Huntsman Club in the Landmark Hotel. Go with a party of four and pay for two. Very good deal. 11-5PM on Sunday Beef & Lamb Roasts.

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

That is your opinion, not mine. I like pork very well done, so done the meat shreds and the bones pull out of it easily. You may like the lechon (roast pork) in the PI, the meat is still pink and solid, almost chewy.  If you like yours medium rare, well that is your problem.

Up to you.

10 minutes ago, tomwct said:

I have never heard of a Traditional Sunday Pork Dinner, but in the west we have Sunday Beef Roasts Dinners. I guess maybe they

substitute pork for beef since Thai Beef is disgusting. Most of the Roasts in Bangkok would be the Beef variety. I personally like The Huntsman Club in the Landmark Hotel. Go with a party of four and pay for two. Very good deal. 11-5PM on Sunday Beef & Lamb Roasts.

When I was nipper in England the old man was the Roast cook, Sundays rotated, Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork with Mondays being leftover day!

I went to Huntsman about a month ago with two others using a 2.30pm booking via Eatigo with 50% off (not including the ++ portion), all three of us were disappointed and thought it was nowhere near as good as it used to be, the beef quality was poor, as it was in general, to be quite honest, even with the 50% off it wasn't that good value for money, we won't be rushing back.

56 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Same for the chicken.

Wow , the pork i eat in thailand always tastes - slightly ransid,,  the pork in england must be pretty poor if thats the case... becos the pork in Australia tastes Sweet ....  just to say ...

36 minutes ago, Mattd said:

When I was nipper in England the old man was the Roast cook, Sundays rotated, Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork with Mondays being leftover day!

I went to Huntsman about a month ago with two others using a 2.30pm booking via Eatigo with 50% off (not including the ++ portion), all three of us were disappointed and thought it was nowhere near as good as it used to be, the beef quality was poor, as it was in general, to be quite honest, even with the 50% off it wasn't that good value for money, we won't be rushing back.

None of the F&B at the Landmark is as it was a decade before. Shame really.

The experience got worse for me, as when we got the bill, was charged 380 THB ++ for a pint of Hoegaarden, it was nice, but not that nice!! (Som nom na me for not asking prior to ordering)

29 minutes ago, jeffreysearch said:

Wow , the pork i eat in thailand always tastes - slightly ransid,,  the pork in england must be pretty poor if thats the case... becos the pork in Australia tastes Sweet ....  just to say ...

Or maybe you are eating pork in the wrong places in Thailand... ?   :smile:

59 minutes ago, jeffreysearch said:

Perhaps you eat these ?

Thailand pork is among my favorite in the world. We have pretty good pork back home (Hawaii) where the Polynesians introduced pigs a LOONG time ago. They were so successful they nearly took over the islands and today wild boar can still be found in many places.  But Thailand's pork is better and cheaper too. Why? I think it is because here most pigs eat slop and garbage and lord-knows-what which is what pigs have eaten for centuries.

Same for eggs, Thailand has the BEST eggs I have ever eaten, with rich orange yolks unlike the sickly tasteless yellow yolks in the USA. Why? Because they eat worms and ants and all sorts of protein-laden scraps perhaps? Or they have more handsome roosters here? Hmm, I don't know from the hen's perspective. : )

Sometimes I wonder if the prissy, homogenized, sanitized and over-processed food we eat back home is really all that good for us? Is that what our guts are really meant to digest? I wonder.

And as for UK food, oh my, the most disgusting food in the whole world (sorry my Brit friends on this forum). Starting with Cornish Pasties and working down from there, I eat practically nothing when I am in the UK. Thank the Lord for Indians and Lebanese in London, or I don't know what I would eat! Surely not that disgusting fast-food which America has foisted on the world. What a pity!

Ok, I apologize if anybody takes offense at my rakish comments. : )  Aloha!

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Stick a thermometer into the centre of the roast.  It should reach 75 degrees C before eating, no ifs or buts.

Cook much longer if that is your preference but make sure 75 minimum.

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Stick a thermometer into the centre of the roast.  It should reach 75 degrees C before eating, no ifs or buts.

Cook much longer if that is your preference but make sure 75 minimum.

Sorry, I cook from smell, sight and taste; like my grandmother taught me. I want the pork well done, but still juicy--a very fine line between too cooked and under-cooked.

Genuine live and grow in the wild boar in Thailand....where? I want some!

I live in the golden triangle - it is abundant here
Im sure if ask in the local market for 'moo paa' you can get it

On 7/21/2017 at 0:18 AM, Jip99 said:

Same for the chicken.

I think the pork has been very good also.  Thai pork kabobs have never done me any harm.  The pork slices used in all the Thai barbecues have been fine.  Oh I love those dipping sauces.  The pork dishes I have had at German restaurants has been very good.  Every carvery I went to has been fine to.  And every pig roast outside the various bars has been great.  One party I even arranged myself for a friend and the bar owner knew just who to call and set every thing up.   Pork pieces in the little noodle soup stalls have always been fine.  The only two bad meals I had was on my first trip I ordered some Thai beef dish from the savoy restaurant down in Pattaya right on second road and Pattaya Klan.  It was rubbery and not right and I couldn't finish it and had some minor intestinal difficulties for two days.