Bangkok Street Scenes 1965

I was there two years earlier and don't remember all the traffic and noise. It was obviously there, but selective memory. A lot more Thai men wearing shorts then. You don't see that much in BKK anymore. There is more of a sense of peacefulness and a slower life besides the cars etc.

35 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I was there two years earlier and don't remember all the traffic and noise. It was obviously there, but selective memory. A lot more Thai men wearing shorts then. You don't see that much in BKK anymore. There is more of a sense of peacefulness and a slower life besides the cars etc.

...less power lines is about all i could pick.

Great scenes! Thanks Jonathan for sharing with us. 

The thing that strikes me most is that it actually looks similar to today in so many basic ways, which is great.

Despite 50 years of never-ending uber-development of glitz, glam, high-rise in cities like BK, some of the lovely 1960's simple feeling is still there today, often just around the corner from the super-malls full of high end western crap which the rich local people seem to be addicted to.

Long may those old, simple, sacred places last!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:56 AM, cooked said:

52 years... so those young kids are still  younger than me, so that's ok.

Seemed to be a tad more horn honking than now.

Yet there was no Road Rage, no machetes in the car boot, no guns in the glove compartment. I remember a few pickpockets on the non-A/C buses, but generally a lot more peaceful environment.

First came in 1967-  traffic much less and everyone was using horns when driving.  Pace of life much slower.  Hardly an Farang around and when you walked about- people would actually stop and stare. We were considered an oddity in some sections of Bangkok. The weather was cooler because of the trees in the city; no high rise building blocking the air flow.  There were no overweight people- including me and I actually had hair. Great prices and great people. Wish I could go back to that era but in Thailand only.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

First came in 1967-  traffic much less and everyone was using horns when driving.  Pace of life much slower.  Hardly an Farang around and when you walked about- people would actually stop and stare. We were considered an oddity in some sections of Bangkok. The weather was cooler because of the trees in the city; no high rise building blocking the air flow.  There were no overweight people- including me and I actually had hair. Great prices and great people. Wish I could go back to that era but in Thailand only.

I think some farangs are still considered oddities..... But for different reasons these days.

Archived