Flooded

Hey guys my car was in a flood,  whole thing.  Couldn't see the top anymore..  Thais babble about this and that and my gf is waiting to call our insurance until the car is accessible.  I know a lot of you have better knowledge than these chatty heads so I was wondering

What to do to get a new one and not have them try to fix it.? 

We have top priced first class insurance,  2yo honda hrv on loan. 

Tons of picture we took ourselves and more taken by others  are in most news article about the sakon flood,  our hotel had tons of people contact medias. 

44 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What a miserable thing to have happened. Empathy only. Don't have any first hand experience.

Best part is I'm only visiting the gf with our kids,  so now we can't go anywhere and we hadn't done anything in 2weeks because of rain and house building..  We're leaving her in a week. She's gonna be stuck home alone with  no car and 2 business to run

Sorry to say your not going to get a new one. Only monies that are stated on the insurance policy. That could be a couple of hundred thousand less than what its worth to you or you paid for it.

After they pay out you will have to put the rest out of your own pocket, towards a new one.

Look at your insurance policy, it's their in black & white.

I have just brought a new Fortuner cost with big discount was mid 1.6milBT. My insurance states that if it's buggered and cannot be repaired the Insurance Company is liable for a total of 1.4ml bt. That figure last for 1 year. Next year it'll be much lower.

Best of luck.

Insurance is only for 80% of the value of the car here.

There used to be a nice scam, undoubtedly run by those whacky boys in brown) where new, high-end cars would disappear over the border and an insurance claim was posted. The reduced cover was introduced in an effort to cut down on this.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Says 850k.  Not bad.  Can pay back bank and have some left for a new one.

Thank god I'm not with a bimbo,  she told me. Almost every company offered 700 or 750 but she managed to get 850.

Paid about 1m 2 yrs ago so 6k baht to run a great cat for 2 yrs..  Good deal. 

Edited by bearpolar

Is that only for new cars? This 80%quoted.

Ours is 8yrs old first class insurance bought for 380k 5 years ago (farang sale he needed a quick sale).

Book price now as of a week ago according to insurance people 450k. I get 440k if its written off minus 5k which i opted to pay first 5k of any accident.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Is that only for new cars? This 80%quoted.

Ours is 8yrs old first class insurance bought for 380k 5 years ago (farang sale he needed a quick sale).

Book price now as of a week ago according to insurance people 450k. I get 440k if its written off minus 5k which i opted to pay first 5k of any accident.

Its 80% of the raconised "book price". If you paid less , your agreed value of 440K gives you a profit.

A friend of ours has a 2012 ford fiesta that was caught in a flood about 3 years ago, since the it has been continually in ford work shops being repaired but not fixed properly for months at a time

They tried to get the insurance company to pay them out but they were not interested in doing it 

Ford recently offered a trade in value of 150K (it cost 780K new)

Honda offered 200K trade in, they are buying the honda CR-v i think, only got the quote from Ford thinking they would get a good trade in price

They lived at the time of the flood in a land and houses estate in Chalong Phuket which was supposed to be flood free

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Its 80% of the raconised "book price". If you paid less , your agreed value of 440K gives you a profit.

But that makes no sense. Our book price which is insurance book price is 450k i get 440kif writen off thats not 80%

33 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

A friend of ours has a 2012 ford fiesta that was caught in a flood about 3 years ago, since the it has been continually in ford work shops being repaired but not fixed properly for months at a time

They tried to get the insurance company to pay them out but they were not interested in doing it 

Ford recently offered a trade in value of 150K (it cost 780K new)

Honda offered 200K trade in, they are buying the honda CR-v i think, only got the quote from Ford thinking they would get a good trade in price

They lived at the time of the flood in a land and houses estate in Chalong Phuket which was supposed to be flood free

I don't think the water ever went high enough in Phuket,  it needs to be above the dashboard. 

The manager of the hotel had just bought a pickup the day before..  Not only could he not leave with rescue,  he said he's certain his insurance won't pay..  Poor guy..  Probably has a bad salary and he had to babysit people in a flooded hotel with no food for 2 days. 

On 30/07/2017 at 3:50 AM, jeab1980 said:

But that makes no sense. Our book price which is insurance book price is 450k i get 440kif writen off thats not 80%

Maybe the first year only pays out 80% , as the first year is when the biggest de-value ( price drop ) will occur.  Someone may know if this is correct. As the car/bike gets older , the insurance payout moves closer to the  book value. Either way , due to your good purchase price , your more than covered.   Flooded cars - after repair , still aint right.