Bomb Threat Made Against The Nation

Jai Dee

As long as we throwing out speculations, perhaps it's a return visit to the Nation building by the so-called Caravan of the Poor and/or the pro-Thaksin taxi driver contingent?

Violence against the media is right up their alley...

Edited by sriracha john

Wouldn't making false bomb threats be a criminal offence, too?

As to who made the threat - does anyone actually believe that it's The Nation itself that set up a hoax to generate headlines and sell a few more papers?

I seriously doubt anyone would accuse the Nation of faking this.

No doubt faking bomb threats is illegal. The problem is that after events like those on new years eve there are always fake threats to many places whether it be from school kids wanting a day off, to disgruntled employees, to........ The authorities also need to take them all seriously so roads and buildings get closed and to some extent chaos ensues. Terrorists often achieve an aim, or at least amplify it this way. That said personally hope all the threats we hear of are false alarms rather than the real thing.

What I do not understand is that The Nation is pretty small in terms of circulation. There must be a dozen or more newspapers with more readers, and it's certainly number two in terms of the English Language readers in Bangkok. I have read their article on the front page and it's fair and balanced. It's reporting fact with nothing in the way of personal comment. Anything that suggests involvement of the previous regieme is merely quotes of what is being said by other people.

Does this mean the caller to The Nation has a decent grasp of the English Language ? I wonder if calls to their offices are recorded, as they are in some of the major news organisations in the UK? Many questions but, for now at least, not much in the way of answers.

The Nation Group publishes thai language papers also.

And has a 24 hr news tv channel.

:o Toxin should come clean and make a broadcast from Bejing saying that he emphatically discourages any action by his former supporters that will lead to instability in the Kingdom...he has not done so and thus is under a cloud of suspicion IMHO...Dukkha

Maybe if he were allowed back in the country, where he is a Thai citizen, to defend himself, he would be able to say more. Until that happens, no one has anything on him.

:o Toxin should come clean and make a broadcast from Bejing saying that he emphatically discourages any action by his former supporters that will lead to instability in the Kingdom...he has not done so and thus is under a cloud of suspicion IMHO...Dukkha

Maybe if he were allowed back in the country, where he is a Thai citizen, to defend himself, he would be able to say more. Until that happens, no one has anything on him.

so far no any open accusations were made against him personally in regard to bombings, as say, regarding CTX or last year elections. and I am sure if any are made, Law system will let him come to defend himself, as Constitutional Tribunal has anounced today that he can submit documents to defend himself about election case, not even his personal presence is needed.

It was not only Thaksin who lost after the coup. Maybe that's why Democrats were asking why he is so enthusiastically defend himself while no one actually named him as a suspect. Elements of the old regime - lots of powerful people involved.

I went to a Thai restaurant at Xmas, and the tom yam was a bit iffy.

Its my belief that Thaksin supporters in the kitchens were wee-weeing in the soup saucepan.

Nice said man, I would second you :o:D :D

Edited by ajarnmark

My gut feeling is that the threat is a hoax. Pranksters can seem to come out of the woodwork after the fact. However, the problem remains that all such calls have to be taken as potentially serious because it's difficult to know at the time whether such threats are real or not. It's certainly better to be cautious and err on the safe side rather ignore it should the warning be real.

So let me get this straight - a thaskin supporter phoned in a warning to the nation, basically implicating Thaskin and saying bombs would go off to destroy infrastructure, not people?

Anyone else find this beyond absurd? :o

Edited by britmaveric

Maybe it wasn't a prank - maybe all they wanted is to disrupt their work, and send a warning.

Another attempt at media intimidation (if it wasn't a prank).

That might be a possibility. No question that it disrupts the normal routine of things. Regardless of the reason or who's behind it, it still has to be taken as potentially serious.

So let me get this straight - a thaskin supporter phoned in a warning to the nation, basically implicating Thaskin and saying bombs would go off to destroy infrastructure, not people?

Anyone else find this beyond absurd? :o

What has he got to lose? Maybe the New Year bombs were the beginning of a revolution for him and he doesn't feel like hiding anymore. Of course he didn't have the bomb, just helping the cause in any way he could.

Perhaps the same king of guy who hanged himself on a bridge in protest. Not mentally sound.

Maybe it wasn't a prank - maybe all they wanted is to disrupt their work, and send a warning.

Another attempt at media intimidation (if it wasn't a prank).

It could very easily be entirely unrelated, or a rogue agent of someone acting no their own.

Assuming the bombings were a political action, either side might have done the original one. If it was Thksin behind the Nation threat, it would be stupid, although the current gov't gains credibility on the new threats.

This could be very nuanced - and the press is bound to have "gotten the picture" already ... if there is a picture to be gotten here.

Incidentally, with all the caps in the opening line - I thought this was a much more serious topic! (i.e. 'the nation', not 'The Nation')

Today's front page headline from The Nation ' It wasn't me, Thaksin insists'.

and latest headline indicates that Surayudh backtracks from his earlier statements:

BANGKOK BLASTS

Surayud qualifies remarks about bombers

Claim that allies of previous PM were responsible 'was just an intelligence analysis'; no evidence to point to any group yet ...

Defence Minister General Boonrawd Somtas blamed security officials for not paying attention to intelligence officials who had warned them about possible bomb attacks during the New Year, the source said.

Today's front page headline from The Nation ' It wasn't me, Thaksin insists'.

and latest headline indicates that Surayudh backtracks from his earlier statements:

BANGKOK BLASTS

Surayud qualifies remarks about bombers

Claim that allies of previous PM were responsible 'was just an intelligence analysis'; no evidence to point to any group yet ...

Defence Minister General Boonrawd Somtas blamed security officials for not paying attention to intelligence officials who had warned them about possible bomb attacks during the New Year, the source said.

That's a huge back track.Don't think they know their ar$e from their elbow....unless they knew all along.....

I agree with you Dukkha. Thaksin needs to take the high road and have a public broadcast in which he implores his supporters to stand down. But that being said, I'm still skeptical that the bombings were the acts of Thaksin supporters. Actually this could have been done by a half dozen mischievous teenagers (there wasn't much sophistication) or perhaps a dissident group within the army. The bombings were done to create a publicity splash and to destabilize the current regime. If the bombers wanted to create a lot of casualties, they would have used a larger amount of ordinance.

Edited by farang prince

Anyone else find this beyond absurd? :D

Hiring an ex-convict, yaba drug dealer, cleaning up his criminal reacord to go and beat up a 70 year old PAD protester was also absurd. They don`t exactly hire rocket scientists to conduct their dirty business.

I agree with you Dukkha. Thaksin needs to take the high road and have a public broadcast in which he implores his supporters to stand down. But that being said, I'm still skeptical that the bombings were the acts of Thaksin supporters. Actually this could have been done by a half dozen mischievous teenagers (there wasn't much sophistication) or perhaps a dissident group within the army. The bombings were done to create a publicity splash and to destabilize the current regime. If the bombers wanted to create a lot of casualties, they would have used a larger amount of ordinance.

Although his supporters attacked people on numerous occasions in the last few years, he only did so once, after a woman and senior citizens we attacked at the World Trade Plaza and it was all over the news for days. Don`t expect him to do so this time as he sits in China rubbing his chin, all he did was fax a letter trying to squeeze out of it. It`s the monster HE created that is on the loose now.

I'm just amazed at how many posters "know" it is Thaksin.We have already had the PM backtrack from this.It is only speculation.Doesn't matter if you like him or not.

The current unelected junta seem to be having/making more cock ups since Dunkirk....this could well be just another one.....

Anyone have further on bomb last night at Tesco in HangDong Chiang Mai.

My wife received calls from friends who live near there. They say two people killed but not appearing on news as yet.

Anyone who lives near with info on this?

I can't seem to start as a new thread so if a super moderator can bump this up a pace would be welcome.

I feel it is a hoax, non Thais can't get the makings for a bomb.

How do you know it is a non-Thai? Why would a non-Thai have anything to do with this? And there are enough chemicals in my bathroom and kitchen to make a bomb as there are in most homes.