Thailand moves to buy $24.9m anti-ship missiles from US

webfact

Have you all been watching the news?  Everyone is scared to death of North Korea right now.  North Korea has made direct threats against Guam.  I'm just glad to see that they're buying from the United States and not China like they did with that submarine.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

They have to protect themselves from the powerful and mighty Lao Navy. 

:shock1:

i know ! i was there in early 90s what a laugh thai's picked a fight out gunned the laos in every way , and the laos kicked their ass so thais packed up in 1 week and retreated or gave up the great general chavalit nick name ( gob ) or frog and thats what he looked like .. a ship they would sink them selve as with their yellow submarines , talk about sitting on the fence a bet each way 

what a stupid thing again For what? For what subs? For what carriers? Who wants to have this little irrelevant kingdom? Just to satisfy some soldiers, kick backs included.

Why not build dams, levees, canals that these floodings will not infect the society so much (and economy).

Instead the soldiers give out some bags to the poor (filled with rice, toilet paper and Mama)

It|s a shame where this country is going to. Definitely not forward!

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, webfact said:

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, a unit under US Department of Defense, submitted the required certification to Congress of the possible sale on Wednesday, according to a statement released on Friday.

This Congress notification of a potential sale is required by US law and does not mean the sale has been concluded.

The Thai government has requested to purchase up to five RGM-84L Harpoon Block II surface launched missiles and one RTM-84L Harpoon Block II exercise missile, the statement said.

The proposal included containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, US government and contractor representatives technical assistance, engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics and program support.

“This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to strengthen the US-Thai strategic relationship and to improve the security of an important partner,” the statement said.

The Thai Navy intends to use the missiles on its DW3000 Class Frigate. The proposed sale of the Harpoon Block II missiles and support will increase its maritime potential. Thailand has purchased Harpoon missiles previously and will have no difficulty absorbing these missiles into its armed forces, the statement said.

“The proposed sale will not alter the basic military balance in the region,” the agency noted.

Interesting to compare the above posted yesterday re Thailand and the following from 2010 re Taipei!  The cost comparisons v numbers v how long ago is interesting.

Don't they have word processors? 

This is the link to the original Taipei article;  http://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/taipei-economic-and-cultural-representative-office-united-states-rtm-84l-and-atm

PDF Version: 
Media/Public Contact: 
Charles Taylor (703) 601-3859 / Paul Ebner (703) 601-3670
Transmittal No: 
09-57

WASHINGTON, January 29, 2010 – Today the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States of 10 RTM-84L HARPOON Block II Telemetry missiles, 2 ATM-84L HARPOON Block II Telemetry missiles, and other related equipment and services. The estimated cost is $37 million.

The Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States has requested the possible sale of 10 RTM-84L HARPOON Block II Telemetry missiles; 2 ATM-84L HARPOON Block II Telemetry missiles; containers; training devices; spare and repair parts; supply/technical support; support equipment; personnel training and training equipment; technical data and publications; U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistics support. The estimated cost is $37 million.

This proposed sale serves U.S. national, economic, and security interests by supporting the recipient’s continuing efforts to modernize its armed forces and enhance its defensive capability. The proposed sale will help improve the security of the recipient and assist in maintaining political stability, military balance, and economic progress in the region.

The proposed sale will improve the recipient’s capability to meet current and future threats of hostile surface ship operations. The recipient, which already has HARPOON missiles in its inventory, will have no difficulty absorbing these additional missiles.

23 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I think they must be for the new submarine, whenever it arrives, as they only get four torpedoes included-in-the-price with that ?

The new S26T submarines from China are being supplied with the Chinese CM-708 ASCM. (supposedly FOC)

The RGM 84 is a surface launch variant of harpoon and cannot be fired from a submarine.  The submarine version of Harpoon is designated UGM84.  Even if the RTN wanted to use UGMs from their subs there is no way the US would allow the release of the technology to the Chinese/Thais that would be required to integrate the UGM84 into the S26T Fire Control/Combat system.

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The new S26T submarines from China are being supplied with the Chinese CM-708 ASCM. (supposedly FOC)

The RGM 84 is a surface launch variant of harpoon and cannot be fired from a submarine.  The submarine version of Harpoon is designated UGM84.  Even if the RTN wanted to use UGMs from their subs there is no way the US would allow the release of the technology to the Chinese/Thais that would be required to integrate the UGM84 into the S26T Fire Control/Combat system.

Sorry, you are of course completely correct. :wai:

I was attempting a joke, that of fitting a surface-to-surface missile to be fired from a submerged naval-vessel, but I should have put a smilie at-the-end, to make it clearer.  My apologies.

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Sorry, you are of course completely correct. :wai:

I was attempting a joke, that of fitting a surface-to-surface missile to be fired from a submerged naval-vessel, but I should have put a smilie at-the-end, to make it clearer.  My apologies.

Sorry, As you said I took your comment at face value.

As you may not be ex military you may be interested to know that most missile families are generically called either anti ship/anti air /ground attack etc and the launch platform is only said later to be specific. 

PS;  I've been in the missile business a long time, so sorry if I came across too strong but I think the comment was worth making for others.

:sorry: