Quails and duck eggs

Ian1980

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian,

We would like to keep quail,purely for ourselves as part of our small endeavour,search as I might I have yet to find a supplier,now I know your a long way from me,Iam up near the border with Mynamar but do you know of anyone,it would be nice to start somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2017 at 4:34 PM, dasboot said:

Hi Ian,

We would like to keep quail,purely for ourselves as part of our small endeavour,search as I might I have yet to find a supplier,now I know your a long way from me,Iam up near the border with Mynamar but do you know of anyone,it would be nice to start somewhere.

Do you have an incubator?If so you can buy fresh quail eggs at any market and try to hatch them.There always seem to be a few males among the hens so there is a good chance they hatch.

1 hour ago, dasboot said:

jvs,sorry for the long delay but thanks for the info that’s well worth a try, my neighbor has the incubator so we could be ready to go,I will let you know any outcome,many thanks.

if i remember correctly 15 days of turning the eggs and 3 days in lockdown.Good luck and if you do get any young ones you will have to make sure you give them water in a very shallow container,the drown real easely.

Don't expect a very high hatch rate on eggs bought at a store.  I have only visited 3 quail farms and never saw a male in a cage with hens unless they were breeders.  It is super easy to sex them and even if you do miss one in the sorting they will crow like crazy and shag the hell out of the hens so are easy to spot.  Eggs from breeders that are in excess or are culled will make there way in and that would be your best bet.  Also, the eggs may be old or have been jostled around so as to not be viable even if they were fertile.  It certainly is possible, but you may need to do a few batches.   On the plus side they are fairly easy to incubate.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...