Ticket to ride

MILT

I have noticed that there are Police blocks ticketing mostly tourist on motorcycles.....

They are stopping tourists and fining them 400 baht for not having a Int. Driver Lic.

for motorcycles....the shops renting the bikes do not disclose that a Int. driver Lic.

for motorcycles is required by law. The police do not go after the shops but lye in wait

as the tourist rent the bikes and less than 200 yards down the street they are stopping

and collecting the fine and then allowing the tourist to continue riding....anyone else

see this going on in Chiangmai?

Any license with English writing that shows they are eligible to ride the bike they are on, is acceptable.
So they are being fined for driving without a license.

There was a big thread on this last year, cos I got busted, as I only had a provisional UK bike licence.

Unfortunately the shops are not held responsible so they tend not to turn business down.

Plus the ticket I got was only valid for 24hrs not a week.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

Trying to run errands, etc, around the old city and getting stopped at least once a day has become unacceptable for me.  After over 4 years here I've purchased a ticket on the midnight KAL flight west back to the homeland.   These road blocks, in addition to the year round poor air quality and bad/dangerous traffic are no longer something I'm willing to put up with.  

It's my understanding that Thai people pay 200 baht for the helmet violation and the farang pays 400.  They harass the people on scooters while the vehicles spewing out black exhaust pass through....how about getting the drunks off the road....yada, yada, yada.

We need them now more than ever.

CapedCrusaders.jpg.aa92b9899b0f4d5acba89a3207fa98a6.jpg  

Wouldn't it have just been cheaper/easier to get a proper Thai motorcycle driving license?

Back in your home country you're not going to be able to drive around on a cheap, low-powered motorscooter without a helmet to run your errands.

10 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

I wonder how they figure a motocy rider is local or farang? What's their first clue? (Besides actually wearing a helmet!)

The helmet with the rental shop logo or other decals is a giveaway. 

Wouldn't it have just been cheaper/easier to get a proper Thai motorcycle driving license?

Back in your home country you're not going to be able to drive around on a cheap, low-powered motorscooter without a helmet to run your errands.
I got a license but they still stop farangs cos more likely to generate a ticket.

At a regular stop towards my condo they started to recognise me & let me pass as they knew I had all the paperwork.

15 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Physical size, and uncovered white skin

13 minutes ago, amexpat said:

Barstool B.S. 

I see lots and loads of Thais being stopped and fined. 

Depending upon the time of day, there are often far MORE Thais being stopped than foreigners. We tend to notice when things happen to foreigners, and ignore common, everyday sights of Thais involved with things. White skin certainly sticks out, but there are plenty of Thais queuing up to pay their fines. Foreigners aren't being singled out. They just stick out.

9 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Yes they do. Especially for no helmet. But they very rarely allow a tourist to pass without being stopped.

And it's a good thing, too. Most of them don't have proper licenses to ride legally in Thailand, and many of them don't have any idea HOW to ride safely, yet insist on riding anyway. I often see lines of impounded bikes, and tourists walking away on foot. Perhaps that's one more life saved.

This topic has been done to death already..... and the practise is not going to stop any time soon.  Over a year ago the big boss in BKK stated that all these 'unauthorised check points' were to cease immediately.

That lasted for about 1 month in Chiang Mai.  Checkpoints were authorised if correct signage was used and an 'officer' was in attendance.  So all that means is that an office 'wallah' in now in attendance... nothing changes fast here.

I agree with DonDoRondo about the hassle of being stopped even when you do have your paperwork all in order. Once a day is probably acceptable but with all the checkpoints around CM its starting to be a real hinderance.

As I have said before, I fail to see the Law Enforcement side of the BiB.  Its purely reactionary and a revenue gathering exercise. The fact one can continue on riding even though they may not have a proper licence is a very bad joke.  If that same rider was to later have a fatal accident would there be any come back on the BiB?  Knowing that they may have prevented an unlicenced rider onto the roads?  I doubt it.

Responsibility doesnt appear to be that much of a trait you can hold those of authority to for any length of time..... always someone elses fault or problem.

OK  rant over.  Ill happily sit outside now and listen to the rain... at least thats clean!

4 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

It's my understanding that Thai people pay 200 baht for the helmet violation and the farang pays 400.

That is absolutely not true.                                           

But still they allow the rider to continue with no helmet after the fine is paid.... yes Im sure the rider learnt his lesson, dont ride in that area again.

I prefer to see what an enterprising member of the law did in BKK some while ago. He set up a checkpoint targeting those with out their helmet.  Next to the checkpoint was an impromptu stand with helmets for sale.  Possibly some relative run the stand/stall but it was a win for the stall and some resemblance of safety for those on the motorcycle.

Never did see what the helmets on the stall encompassed, possibly some cheap nasty skid lid, but at least the effort was there.

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

Either can pay with a split skull and brain damage.  But the big risk is 200-400 baht. 

In all reality the majority of helmets worn are very unlikely to prevent a split skull and brain damage any more than not wearing one.

Probably give a false sense of safety to many riders also.

For those who ride a motorbike in and around the tourist areas where the B.I.B.s love to set up their scam shops shouldn't it become obvious the side streets to take to avoid being ripped off?. On my way into the area around Tae Pae Gate I know where these earslings set up and there a lot of ways to avoid them. WIth that type of knowledge I have never been pulled over. Oh, and by the way I have all the necessary paperwork.