Thai tourists apologise for trespassing in Yellowstone Park

snoop1130

Thai tourists apologise for trespassing in Yellowstone Park

By The Nation

71b5e66a137df8c1b1496dc27ce2b02a.jpeg

Three Thai tourists who walked on a fragile thermal area in Yellowstone National Park in the United States, apologised on Thursday for their actions which they said tarnished Thailand’s reputation.

The apparent trespass was recorded by a non-Thai who posted the video clip online. 

Photos of members of the group along with data from their social media accounts was later posted online, accompanied by threats of a “witch-hunt”.

The video clip went viral with most people ridiculing and attacking the Thai tourists, who apparently ventured into an off-limits area of the park unknowingly.

The original video shows a warning sign saying the area was dangerous, but the sign was small and poorly displayed. 

In a video posted online, Nukool Moolchot, who was among the Thai tourists, said he represented all Thais in the group in apologising to everyone because he felt sorry every time he thought about the incident.

“Our acts were done without prudence and wisdom and have resulted in negative images for the country. I take all the blame and would not excuse myself from the blame,” Nukool said.

In a separate video, two women – identified as Anna and Jenny – said they wanted to apologise to all Thais. They said they felt guilty and upset as they had no intention to tarnish the country’s image. 

Administrators of a Facebook fanpage; Social Hunter1, who posted the controversial video clip originally, said they would not pursue the matter after the apology.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324200

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-18

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

As my Mom would have said, "Was that so hard?"

I think it was.  Harder than one might imagine.  Even in English it is sometimes said that the hardest words to say are "I'm sorry."  But Thais have little practice with it.

Much better it would be if people would do what is right because it is right, not only when someone else is observing them.

2 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Much better it would be if people would do what is right because it is right, not only when someone else is observing them.

I'm still chewing on the part where the 2 ladies apologized to all Thais for tarnishing the country's image, and not to the Americans whose rules they broke and property they trespassed on.  

Probably not a bad idea since we Americans are already over it.  But I wouldn't want to be them getting off the plane in BKK with Social Hunter 1 still hacked off...

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

As my Mom would have said, "Was that so hard?"

Ignorance and arrogance,  something far too many Thais have an abundance of and certainly these have.  Bet when they get back to Thailand they will spout the usual load of garbage to pretend it was not their fault or some other measly excuse.

6 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Why are they apologising to Thailand and not America?  A farang does something wrong in Thailand like feed a fish he/she has to apologise to Thailand not their home country.

The real need is to apologize to the world.  Yellowstone is unmatched anywhere else on the planet--it is unique, and as such should be considered a treasure for the entire globe.

11 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Why are they apologising to Thailand and not America?  A farang does something wrong in Thailand like feed a fish he/she has to apologise to Thailand not their home country.

Becos a Wai is not accepted anywhere else except Thailand? :post-4641-1156694083:

Just now, Thechook said:

Is that AKA article 44

Gotta be honest, I don't know for sure what SH1 is.  Seems to be a Facebook group and if it's the same one from previous articles, they (he?) promised to hound the perpetrators to the end of the world unless they made it right.  SH1 seemed to be appeased by the apology, though.

I thought this was going to be a proper apology to the Americans/ American Parks and also to establish they now know why this was wrong environmentally. However it is disappointing to see they are apologising for the wrong reasons.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

ologised on Thursday for their actions which they said tarnished Thailand’s reputation

Haven't tarnished Thailand's reputation in my eyes. They're just a shower of idiots who took way too long to apologise. Will they learn that sometimes the best thing to do is admit you were wrong and say sorry? People can be pretty forgiving. Humility  is seriously underrated. 

Be nice if they apologised simply for their actions. They're not in some prestigious association where you're held to higher standards.  Sanctimonious drivel. 

"The video clip went viral with most people ridiculing and attacking the Thai tourists, who apparently ventured into an off-limits area of the park unknowingly."  Err, he said in the video "I know" when told that he was trespassing. Apology should be to the yanks, not to their own country.

14 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

always been fascinated with the idea that an apology erases a wrong here;

the rough equivalent of: 'your honor, i am sorry i did that horrible thing'

In my case, apology NOT accepted. First and formost, it is America whom they should direct the apology to. Desecrating an important American Heritage site is what they did. Disrespecting AMERiCA, not Thailand! Yellowstone is also a great place of religious importance as well. What the hell does this have to do with apologizing to Thailand? It's all about face and trying to cover their asses within their own country.

So, their apology was not at all sincere or honest.   Not accepted. And you are not welcome to return!

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

always been fascinated with the idea that an apology erases a wrong here;

the rough equivalent of: 'your honor, i am sorry i did that horrible thing'

I think in this case, it's covered under the playground's  "no harm, no foul" statutes we all learned in the 3rd grade.

Edited by impulse

14 hours ago, cmsally said:

I thought this was going to be a proper apology to the Americans/ American Parks and also to establish they now know why this was wrong environmentally. However it is disappointing to see they are apologising for the wrong reasons.

Well I have learned something today. If I ever do something wrong in Thailand, I will apologize to my home country. Bet that will go down well.

This is just an apology to try to avoid any trouble. This is not a sincere apology as a sincere apology should be directed toward America and the American people, not Thailand.

I would say if they would have apologized to the American filming at the time it wouldn't have gotten all blown out of proportion. They didn't realize the power of social media--or they didn't care. Maybe not necessarily apologize--since he doesn't own or work for the park, but just admit to him they were wrong and say it won't happen again. Most Americans I know will accept the fact that people make mistakes and if they admit to them everyone can move on.

15 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I think it was.  Harder than one might imagine.  Even in English it is sometimes said that the hardest words to say are "I'm sorry."

It's hard to say it and mean it.  Much easier to say "I screwed up, I admit it.  Hold my beer and watch me do it again."

17 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The real need is to apologize to the world.  Yellowstone is unmatched anywhere else on the planet--it is unique, and as such should be considered a treasure for the entire globe.

That's right... Yogi Bear slept there!!