Why Falangs Pay Ten Times More Than Thai

gjones

Over the festive season I took my family from the UK sight seeing here in the Kingdom of Thailand and for the very first time was disappointed and annoyed by the officials with medals who seem to know best.

Having driven down in a convoy from our home in Bangkok with my pregnant wife at the wheel of Fortuner accompanied by my mother, and my two daughters and myself driving our aging 4 door 4x4 Grandis with my friend Ron, his wife and two sons, we arrived at Hua Hin on schedule to have Christmas lunch at the Hilton.

As Boxing day blurred to existence our early start to Prachuap Khiri Khan via Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park was brought to a halt from a well honored Thai national park official with multi-color ribbons displaying his courage in line of duty.

The obviously well decorated gentleman summoned our convoy over as we entered the national park from the Dolphin Bay resort side and demanded a fee of 400 Baht each to enter the National Park.

He smiled and asked us for 400 Baht per adult and 200 Baht per child, when my wife came forward from the following vehicle he told her that the cost for falangs was 400 Baht each but Thais need only to pay 40 Baht.

During his explanation several other vehicles was left to enter the National Park without being challenged which caused me to react with a big “sod you” with a big smile on my face as I jumped back to the vehicle and did a “U” turn back to the main Phetkasame road.

From here we entered the Park from a different route which had no obnoxious medallion man demanding silly money.

Has any of you had this experience and can anyone explain why falangs has to pay ten times more?

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style...npid=8&lg=2

I am a farang and I dont get charged 10 times more.Just show your work permit, you'll be fine.

Your topic title should more correctly be "why foreign tourists pay ten times more than thai"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually ASIANS dont pay local price, they are also suppose to pay more. They always think I look chinese and ALWAYS make me pay the tourist price.

People always seem to think ASIANS pay local when its only for Thai's.

And Bmanly, that would be bad if they did that in Australia. But they dont do that in Thailand, I havent seen a sign that had different prices for white people

You are missing the point here Donz. Let’s use the term "Foreign Tourists". You are going to get charged 10 X more just because you do not have a Thai ID Card, that's it. I have a Thai drivers license and Non Imm Visa with Thai wife but I still get knocked back for local entry into Theme Parks, Shows etc. No Thai ID card no local entry fee.

There are guys who live permanently in Thailand, own property, support extended Thai families and some have businesses and pay tax too but without a Thai ID card they pay the "foreign tourist" price all the time. Believe me I can not go see a show for local price no matter how much supporting evidence I have, no Thai ID Card then you are charged same as a foreign tourist. Not right in my books and it's something my Thai missus and her family hate so much too.

Now lets reverse everything, how would any Thai "foreign tourist" coming to my country enjoy paying 10 x more to go to a National Park? Lets use Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park or the old name (Ayers Rock) as an example. The fee for ANY person is $25. How about charging our Thai "foreign tourist" $250? You reckon that's fair? How about taking our guest to Dreamworld up at the Gold Coast, $30 for locals and $300 for our guest. You reckon that's ok or what?

You are missing the point here Donz. Let’s use the term "Foreign Tourists". You are going to get charged 10 X more just because you do not have a Thai ID Card, that's it. I have a Thai drivers license and Non Imm Visa with Thai wife but I still get knocked back for local entry into Theme Parks, Shows etc. No Thai ID card no local entry fee.

There are guys who live permanently in Thailand, own property, support extended Thai families and some have businesses and pay tax too but without a Thai ID card they pay the "foreign tourist" price all the time. Believe me I can not go see a show for local price no matter how much supporting evidence I have, no Thai ID Card then you are charged same as a foreign tourist. Not right in my books and it's something my Thai missus and her family hate so much too.

Now lets reverse everything, how would any Thai "foreign tourist" coming to my country enjoy paying 10 x more to go to a National Park? Lets use Uluru - Kata Tjuta National Park or the old name (Ayers Rock) as an example. The fee for ANY person is $25. How about charging our Thai "foreign tourist" $250? You reckon that's fair? How about taking our guest to Dreamworld up at the Gold Coast, $30 for locals and $300 for our guest. You reckon that's ok or what?

Foreign tourists are not charged 10xmore they are charged the normal price and Thais are getting a discount.

Most of the Theme Parks and Shows you are talking about are there specifically for the tourists and they are charged accordingly. The discount price for Thais will bring in some extra revenue that would not be there if Thais had to pay the more realistic tourist price. This is normal practice in many countries where locals can get discounts at local attractions.

In your Australian example that would mean that foreign tourists would have to pay $25 to enter Uluru –Kata Tjuta and Australians $2.50. The difference here is that most of the tourists at Uluru are probably Australians so to get the needed revenue the prices would probably have to be more like $25 / $20. Anyway, I have not been to Uluru but would expect that the indigenous population have free access so there is already some discrimination there.

No system is perfect. The foreigners living in Thailand, having a business a family and pay taxes are a very small minority and may feel like they are loosing out. Still, to bitch about having to pay more than someone else (who probably earn a lot less than you) when the prices, usually, are less than they are anywhere else in the world is just silly.

Ah yes, Hilton Hua Hin. Nice place. I'm going down there again myself in about 2 weeks to stay for a week. FYI though, they charge foreigners more than Thais there (not for lunch... but for your rooms) as well. You might want to take it up with Paris.

Same for just about all the LeMeridien hotels in Thailand as well. Not 10 times more, but something like 10-20% depending on the hotel. Like most things where prices are involved... they do so because they can. You have the right not to give them your patronage.

Get the wife, gf, bf or whatever to do the booking for you and get the price confirmed.

actually ASIANS dont pay local price, they are also suppose to pay more. They always think I look chinese and ALWAYS make me pay the tourist price.

People always seem to think ASIANS pay local when its only for Thai's.

And Bmanly, that would be bad if they did that in Australia. But they dont do that in Thailand, I havent seen a sign that had different prices for white people

No I was just pointing out that you shouldnt just think white people get double priced and then making an example about making all asian people pay double because Thailand does it.

Also we make oversea's uni students pay like 6 times more then the local.

Ah yes, Hilton Hua Hin. Nice place. I'm going down there again myself in about 2 weeks to stay for a week. FYI though, they charge foreigners more than Thais there (not for lunch... but for your rooms) as well. You might want to take it up with Paris.

Same for just about all the LeMeridien hotels in Thailand as well. Not 10 times more, but something like 10-20% depending on the hotel. Like most things where prices are involved... they do so because they can. You have the right not to give them your patronage.

Get the wife, gf, bf or whatever to do the booking for you and get the price confirmed.

Just as easy to do it myself. Sometimes they try to hit me with the higher price because I don't speak Thai clearly (like any other overseas Thai). The conversation usually goes along the lines that 'I have to use my Thai passport or Thai id card at check in to get this rate.'

The point was merely an example that western owned hotels do it as well yet people don't seem to wig out about it as much.

:o

Having driven down in a convoy from our home in Bangkok with my pregnant wife at the wheel of Fortuner accompanied by my mother, and my two daughters and myself driving our aging 4 door 4x4 Grandis with my friend Ron, his wife and two sons, we arrived at Hua Hin on schedule to have Christmas lunch at the Hilton.

Really ? Well what about when I book through an agency for this or any other hotel ? Never have a problem doing this even in Thailand on a foreign credit card, but when my wife has tried the same with a Thai issued credit card its " Sorry this rate not available to domestic tourist" Wife " Can I use my British credit card then ?" Sure, no problem.

Not sure, I have never booked travel with foreigners and Thais in the same group. If you're referring to the many hotel booking services online though... in my experience, the local rate is almost always lower than the published rate. IMO the "Sorry this rate not available to domestic tourist" is misleading in that it makes folks think that domestic tourists pay more (LOL) than this "special rate."

:D

Perhaps since we cannot experience it [often}, being farang and all?

For those with local partners, I'd suspect it's a common occurence that is brushed aside (true, it may actually be brushed aside by the local partner), as the difference in price (% wise) is relatively minor.... which suggests that most folks have problems with large % differences rather than the absolute principle of unequal pricing.

That is because they - and their parents - haven't been paying taxes to the government for most of their lives! :o

Whats your point?

Tourist who go to Thailand dont pay them taxes all there lives either? :D

Edited by Donz

That is because they - and their parents - haven't been paying taxes to the government for most of their lives! :o

Whats your point?

Tourist who go to Thailand dont pay them taxes all ther :annoyed lives either? :D

There's a difference between a top quality university and a rubbish strewn park with near zero facilities.

Has any of you had this experience and can anyone explain why falangs has to pay ten times more?

Yes I have experienced this but they only get me once. The only way to deal with it boycott all National Parks in Thailand. By doing that it does not affect me anymore.

Some people think it is ok to charge foreign tourists 10 X more than locals, I respect that, up to them, it's their money. For me it is just a rip off and I will abstain from visiting such places. Good luck gjones, I hope the rest of your holiday went well, Thailands a great place, cheers.

Whats your point?

Tourist who go to Thailand dont pay them taxes all ther :annoyed lives either? :D

There's a difference between a top quality university and a rubbish strewn park with near zero facilities.

What are you even going on about we are talking about the pricing of locals and non-locals. You missed the point completely

Donz, you're over your head talking with the grownups here. Why don't you go back to praising yourself?

Dont take it to heart that I pointed out that you missed the point completely.

Go back and read it again, then you can praise me

owned07.jpg

Edited by Donz

Over the festive season I took my family from the UK sight seeing here in the Kingdom of Thailand and for the very first time was disappointed and annoyed by the officials with medals who seem to know best.

As Boxing day blurred to existence our early start to Prachuap Khiri Khan via Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park was brought to a halt from a well honored Thai national park official with multi-color ribbons displaying his courage in line of duty.

The obviously well decorated gentleman summoned our convoy over as we entered the national park from the Dolphin Bay resort side and demanded a fee of 400 Baht each to enter the National Park.

He smiled and asked us for 400 Baht per adult and 200 Baht per child, when my wife came forward from the following vehicle he told her that the cost for falangs was 400 Baht each but Thais need only to pay 40 Baht.

During his explanation several other vehicles was left to enter the National Park without being challenged which caused me to react with a big “sod you” with a big smile on my face as I jumped back to the vehicle and did a “U” turn back to the main Phetkasame road.

From here we entered the Park from a different route which had no obnoxious medallion man demanding silly money.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style...npid=8&lg=2

let me assure you - Thailand is not so bad compared to Cambodia for example- where ripping off the foreigner is far more blatant :o

A Cambodian explained to me on my last visit in December there is actually a 3 tier price system which many wouldn't be aware of :-

1. price for foreigners

2. price for foreigners accompanied by a Cambodian

3 price exclusively for Cambodians

I know some things in Thailand as you have cited can be annoying- but I don't think we do too badly overall

when compared to these other situations...............

Whats your point?

Donz..How Many Thais Pay Tax ????

As I see it you can afford to come here you got money..

They Want some of your disposable income..

As a previous poster said "Locals can show Drivers License or WP and get local prices".. :D

Whats your point?

Donz..How Many Thais Pay Tax ????

As I see it you can afford to come here you got money..

They Want some of your disposable income..

As a previous poster said "Locals can show Drivers License or WP and get local prices".. :D

Anyways the point is that Uni here in Sydney charge imternational students much more then locals.

Talking about who pay taxes etc is irrelevant really.

Why Falangs Pay Ten Times More Than Thai

It's like the old age question why the polite particle of 'kon' before thai and jeen but not before falang and yee -bpoon ?

I have my explanation, but gave up asking kon thai this long ago.

You are confusing two different words: คน (khon) (person; people) and คุณ (khun) (honorific used in front of names).

And in actual fact people also say 'khon yii-pbun' now and then...

Thanks for the reply but I think some of are missing the point by bring in university fees etc.

My objection is to the 10X more tariffs for a non Thai citizen.

I do pay may way here in Thailand I have 2 companies, both pay tax. My main company brings in a lot of revenue for Thailand and my personal tax per month is more than a well educated Thai earns a month.

I have two daughters both born here in Thailand and both attend International schools, My wife is Thai and my company employs 18 Thais, all of which had paid ten days holydays over Christmas and New Year.

Even showing my Thai driving licence the well medalled warden still insisted on 400 Bat per adult and 200 Baht for each child even for my Thai kids because his opinion was they looked more FALANG.

You might consider me mean but to pay ten times more in my humble oppinion is a bit of an insult.

Even showing my Thai driving licence the well medalled warden still insisted on 400 Bat per adult and 200 Baht for each child even for my Thai kids because his opinion was they looked more FALANG.

You might consider me mean but to pay ten times more in my humble oppinion is a bit of an insult.

In case of your children it should be completely out of the question. Dont they have Thai IDs and speak Thai? If so, and the guard persisted, I would write down his name and complain to his superiors.

Thanks for the reply but I think some of are missing the point by bring in university fees etc.

My objection is to the 10X more tariffs for a non Thai citizen.

I do pay may way here in Thailand I have 2 companies, both pay tax. My main company brings in a lot of revenue for Thailand and my personal tax per month is more than a well educated Thai earns a month.

I have two daughters both born here in Thailand and both attend International schools, My wife is Thai and my company employs 18 Thais, all of which had paid ten days holydays over Christmas and New Year.

Well the price difference is a pretty small one, but anyway you should of got the cheaper price then.

I think the guard probaly doesnt even know the rules and just charging anybosy anything (as you said people where just going around him for free when talking to you)

SHould of just got in the car and drove straight in. You cant get in trouble for anything as he is the one stoping you for no reason.

Make him take you down to the station even and if the cop likes you then he will make the other guy lose face.

But if he doesnt like you then manbe you can pay the cop 1000 Baht for his troubles and the guard 1000 baht for his. Maybe another 100 baht for petrol, 100 baht for a bear and 100 baht for looking at the cop.

A Cambodian explained to me on my last visit in December there is actually a 3 tier price system which many wouldn't be aware of :-

1. price for foreigners

2. price for foreigners accompanied by a Cambodian

3 price exclusively for Cambodians

Great idea! Take a local and get in for less. :o

Donz I have been looking into studying next year at the Uni in KK. I was told that as I was not thai, therefore a foreign student, my fees would be the international student fee i.e. more than local fee. So as I said in an earlier post, foreign students anywhere, pay more than locals. That is a standard practice. But double pricing at toursit attractions isn't.

Besides getting dinged at government facilities and big hotels, farang get ripped off all the time because they don't know the prices nor how to barter. I saw a newbie resident pay 50 baht for two pathetic carrots at the wet market. :o

Thats why Big C/Lotus so popular for "visitors"