From Sunbelt: Retirement Visa Applicant Must Have Bank Accout 3 Month Before Applying ..

received the retirement visa application from the Thai Consulate .. in the US today.

medical requirements:

NO TB

NO leprosy

NO elephantiasis (I thought Thai lub elephant tu mutt?)

NO drug addiction

NO 3rd step syphilis

& mental health, free from defect. (this could be the issue that holds me back)

cannot imagine my doc having a problem with any of that.

if the criminality check is as easy as that ..

will call the local sheriff on Monday to see what they say about providing a document on my criminality.

IMHO, with gun dealers easily easily doing felony checks this should be all but (semi) automatic.

IMHO, US citizens should at least consider applying in the US.

If you search the thaivisa archives, you will find reports of US doctors demanding that actual medical TESTS be done to rule out all of those diseases at full personal cost to the patients. I think most people who are from countries where they can apply for an O-A consider it, and many of those people just reject that route. Nothing wrong with either decision. They are different paths to the same end. Happy retirement!

the consulate lass inquired where I had gotten my radical ideas concerning Thailand Visas.

& She was very aware of this forum & the information posted here. :o

I have a doctor appointment scheduled in a couple months .. I'll take the Thai Government form with me.

my guess is he might require a TB tine test .. I think the other conditions are reasonably diagnosed in the USA via objective clinical observation.

& even if the tests are several 100 $s .. it would be worth it to me to avoid all the visa runs & contortions that are often advised here 'bouts.

I did a visa run in August .. what a motley crew on that bus!

& many here are willing to go much further to the edge than I.

.. or, I'll pay to not sweat it.

My thought is / remains, everyone with a legitimate claim to a retirement visa should at least give the Thai Embassy / Consulate in their home country a chance.

I shall not post to this thread again .. :D

Pumper, thats all fine. I for one have never taken a visa run like you describe, nor needed to.

Also, I agree with you. People should consider going for the O-A as you are. Like many choices in life, there are pros and cons. As both paths lead to legal retirement in Thailand, it is just a personal decision.

I suggest you make sure that you set up WIRING agreements with at least one US bank before leaving the US and get detailed info on their policies about starting wires from overseas. You will not be able to effect a wiring agrement in Thailand. Every US bank has a different wiring policy. Some require that you actually perform the first wire before granting you a repetitive code so that you can easily call in wires from abroad. Yes, I know, you can't do that because you don't have a Thai bank account. You might find that you need to change banks because their policies will be impossible for you to work with. If so, you really don't want to try to open US bank accounts while you are living in Thailand ... (Almost always, not possible.)

Pumper, I am only one user. However, if I were you, I would not poo poo the information available on this site. The Thai embassy will not be interested in you anymore once you have paid your fee and left the US, and believe me, you will be having more issues in the future. This forum is here for you.

BTW, you want "radical" visa ideas. Just watch the history of Thai immigration and how they change the rules so frequently, and sometimes without notice. Now THAT is radical! If you are retiring in Thailand, you really do need to stay up to date on all these changes. For every change, there are some people who have been here for many years who are forced out of the country.

Edited by Jingthing

This issue was addressed in the thread with over 60 pages of posts .. I could not find the original posts.

A Retirement Visa applicant must demonstrate 800k Thb in Bank 3 months prior to the initial application.

paste from sunbelt email:

>>>>>>>>>

Yes, that is correct. The deposit must be in the account for 3 months.

The easiest route is to get the income letter from your embassy. You must

confirm an income of 65,000 THB per month.

>>>>>>>>>

I have emailed back for the details of opening a Thai account while outside Thailand.

looks as if sunbelt is focused on those with a 65k Thb income while not working..

Mazatlan is looking more & more like my new retirement home.

Hi All,

I am so sorry if this has been answered before and I have not yet found it.

With regard to the 65,000 Baht a month Pension. Does anybody know FOR CERTAIN if this figure is GROSS or NETT of tax.

I ask because my GROSS (of tax) pension just makes 65,000 baht, BUT it's short by approx 10,000 baht if it is the NETT of Tax (in my case UK tax) that Thai Immigration require.

Kind regards

Dave

It is gross. But unless you are paid in baht you never know the exact exchange rate that will be used so you should have a bank account that will more than cover you in case it comes up short.

Thanks Lopburi3 that is most helpful AND so is the reminder about the ever changing Exchange Rates (would hate to be caught out for a few baht and an over zealous officer).

With Cost of Living increases each year on my pension the ER should become less relevant each year (unless the 65,000 threshold is raised and grandfathering ceased).

Kind Regards

Dave

Help

Whilst in Thailand over the Xmas and NewYear i went to to banks one was the Bangkok Bank and both said that i need a work permit to open an account.

Does anybody no of a bank where a work permit is not required?

Sunbelt Asia, located at Fortune Town, Rachada (on subway line at Rama 9 exit) has offered to introduce those needing an account to a Bank of Ayudhya branch without obligation or charge. If in Bangkok that might be the easy plan. Otherwise just go from branch to branch - just because one says no does not mean the next will (even if same bank).

Help

Whilst in Thailand over the Xmas and NewYear i went to to banks one was the Bangkok Bank and both said that i need a work permit to open an account.

Does anybody no of a bank where a work permit is not required?

More experienced heads than mine may correct me, but my understanding from previous forum posts is that opening a current (UK terminology) or checking (US terminology) account with a Thai bank requires a work permit - but a savings account can be opened with no more than a tourist visa. That said, it may be advisable to choose a branch in a farang-frequented area so that the staff are more likely to be familiar with the practice.

Certainly, I opened a savings account with SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) with nothing more than my UK passport - which does contain a 1-year multi-entry Non-Imm "B" visa but that did not appear relevant to the process........ which took about 30 mins to equip me with me with savings account, passbook and optional Mastercard/Cirrus ATM card. This was at a small SCB branch office located in a Chiang Mai shopping mall. Although I haven't done it yet, I understand that I can wire money to this account and withdraw cash (up to the daily limit - 2 x 10,000 baht) from it via most ATM's and larger amounts over the counter. Do you need anything more?

... a savings account can be opened with no more than a tourist visa. ... [snip] ... I opened a savings account with SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) with nothing more than my UK passport - which does contain a 1-year multi-entry Non-Imm "B" visa but that did not appear relevant to the process........ which took about 30 mins to equip me with me with savings account, passbook and optional Mastercard/Cirrus ATM card. This was at a small SCB branch office ...[snip]... Although I haven't done it yet, I understand that I can wire money to this account and withdraw cash (up to the daily limit - 2 x 10,000 baht) from it via most ATM's and larger amounts over the counter. Do you need anything more?

Those observations from Steve2UK exactly match my experiences.

Two years ago, I opened a savings account at a small, neighborhood, branch of SCB.

In passport only Non-Imm "B".

Got passbook and ATM card with no difficulties.

Since then have wired money in from back home several times: no problems.

Used ATM many times to draw out 40,000 per day: 2 transactions of 20,000 each, one right after the other.

To ease original application process, I requested -- and paid for -- my Thai lawyer to go with me to the bank.

His fee was 1,000 baht -- and made entire process effortless for me.

I would do exactly that again.

received the retirement visa application from the Thai Consulate .. in the US today.

medical requirements:

NO TB

NO leprosy

NO elephantiasis (I thought Thai lub elephant tu mutt?)

NO drug addiction

NO 3rd step syphilis

& mental health, free from defect. (this could be the issue that holds me back)

cannot imagine my doc having a problem with any of that.

if the criminality check is as easy as that ..

will call the local sheriff on Monday to see what they say about providing a document on my criminality.

IMHO, with gun dealers easily easily doing felony checks this should be all but (semi) automatic.

IMHO, US citizens should at least consider applying in the US.

I would recommend this route also. I didn't because I wasn't old enough at the time. A friend now living in BKK (originally from USA) went this route. How nice to arrive in Thailand with a retirement visa in hand! :o

NOTE: just a comment about the bank xfers. Bank of America and Netbank xfers can be set up online once in Thailand and the Thai bank account has been opened. No need to go to your branch in the states at all. I've done both from Thailand.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

:Dconundrum...... :D

B 800,000 for 3 months BEFORE extension of non 'O' Retirement......

I understand this applying to FIRST extensions, and understand Immigration Dept's reasoning.

What about those seeking subsequent extensions?

I will apply for my 4th consecutive extension of my Non 'O' Retirement Visa on 10 May, but will only be able to top-up my SCB (joint account with Thai wife) to B 800,000 on 10 April, 1 month before my extension application, not 3 months.

I top up my SCB account beginning of every April, upon payment of annual interest / pension dividend in UK, paid into my UK account in early April, the end of the UK financial year.

My SCB account NEVER falls below 400,000 in any given year. Immigration in Kanchanaburi, where I extend, see, know nd comment on this each time I have applied for previous extensions, with Thai wife 'in tow' to show we are genuine retirees.

Is it now the case, even though I am more than able to show I use the +B 800,000 to live off, am diligent with maintaining a healthy 'cushion' in our account for emergencies, I will now be expected to bring my balance up to (or exceed) B 800,000 in February - 2 months BEFORE the money is available in my UK 'source of funds' account - or I will be refused my 4th extension of stay because my account will only show + B 800,000 FROM 6 APRIL ? :o

Any-one actual experience of this at their extension of stay?

pumper: Could you provide a link to the comment by Sunbelt about the applicant for retirement "must demonstrate 800K Thb in the Bank 3 months prior to initial application".

The last and most stated information was that a retirement visa requires, 800K in the bank OR 65K Thb, OR a combination of both..?

Regards, BDbecause I do not have income I ignored that part of the email from sunbelt

the entire email w/o my name or the sunbelt employee name:

"Yes, that is correct. The deposit must be in the account for 3 months.

The

easiest route is to get the income letter from your embassy. You must

confirm an income of 65,000 THB per month."

IMHO, sunbelt appears to not want to deal with retirees without income.

This is not true. You simply misunderstood.

Why would we care if the retiree has an income or not? We work with many visa holders for retirement. The Sunbelt employee was just pointing out if you wanted the extension of change for retirement, as your funds had not been in the bank for three months. The way around it was simply getting a letter from the Embassy.

If you don't have the income. Then arrive in Thailand on a 30 day transit or a tourist visa. . Deposit the funds in the bank and change this to a 90 day "O" visa with at least 21 days remaining on the original 30 day or 60 day stamp. When you apply for the extension of stay however the funds need to be in the bank for 90 days or get a letter from the Embassy that you have an income of over 65K per month.

If you have a 40K pension this will work as well with 400K money in the bank. These funds do not have to be in the bank for 3 months with a combination of the letter.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

What about those seeking subsequent extensions?

i was told by the officials at the immigration office in hua hin that the balance must exceed 800,000 for the 3 months prior to all renewals , and that they would allow money in a deposit account to count towards the 800,000.

renewed this week with a balance of 802,000 in the savings account.

(renewal of retirement "visa" , re- entry permit and 90 day reporting all done and dusted in under 10 minutes at the hua hin office . friendly and efficient and she even asked for a tip for the speedy service ! )

Hey, I have been reading for the past few months questions about what you need for a Retirement visa, and by the time I get to the third for fourth post, I am lost. I thought I understood it, but now I don't know. SO, what's the chance of someone that understands the whole 800K/65K, 0-A, 0 and or AO??? visa thing for RETIREMENT ONLY, putting together an excell spreadsheet to show you must have this, to get this, and if your this, then this other thing applies. Or is that asking too much. (at least until it changes again) Regards, BD

If you have a 40K pension this will work as well with 400K money in the bank. These funds do not have to be in the bank for 3 months with a combination of the letter.

Does the on-deposit-for-three-months provision NOT apply when one is qualifying for an extension based on a combination of income + savings? If so, I don't think that has been clearly stated before, and is a significant point.

Crikey. The very next thread I read (Pension + Bank Account/no Deposit Length Required, Confirmation Of TV Advice Given) begins with the statement by ProThaiExpat:

I am pleased to report that information provided by lopburi3 and Sunbelt Asia were "spot on" when they advised that there is no time length required for your bank account deposts to be in account before extending non-imm O based on retirement when you combine pension with bank account.

So, that answers that! :o

Crikey. The very next thread I read (Pension + Bank Account/no Deposit Length Required, Confirmation Of TV Advice Given) begins with the statement by ProThaiExpat:
I am pleased to report that information provided by lopburi3 and Sunbelt Asia were "spot on" when they advised that there is no time length required for your bank account deposts to be in account before extending non-imm O based on retirement when you combine pension with bank account.

So, that answers that! :o

.........for Chiang Mai at least - who knows at the the offices!

And not clear yet for first time applicants, as opposed to renewals (which PTE was doing).

jack

I'm new to the board although have been visiting the Kingdom regularly for several years and now want to spend at least a year or two in SE Asia and be based in Chiang Mai. If I like it, I'll stay for the forseeable future. I'm a UK citizen ,55, single, have adequate income and savings (although the income is complicated to demonstrate as it's from a combination of investments, pension and property rental) and was fairly sane until I started to get down to sorting this visa thing out. I'm presently here on a 60 day tourist visa which expires on February 8th.

A retirement visa seems the right way to go from what I have been reading on this forum. I'll want to leave the country from time to time so multiple entry is important and although I can afford to lodge the full 850000 bht if necessary I'd sooner do a combination of income/savings since the interest rates here are poor.

Having read this thread I decided to open a bank account immediately, arrange a transfer of funds and apply to the immigration office to convert my visa to a non-immigrant O on the basis of preparing to apply for a retirement visa. Encouraged by one of the posts above, I got dressed up a bit and went to Central Shopping Mall to visit Siam Commercial who regretfully said I couldn't open an account without a work permit. Same result with Krung and Bangkok Bank as well, although they did say if I could find a Thai guarantor it could be done. When I told them I didn't want to work so why would I want a permit, they had no suggestions but thought it very amusing when I tried to explain the concept of Catch 22. I'll try some others in the morning but this seems at odds with other people's experiences.

Finally, two questions I'd be pleased for some help on:

Specifically what evidence is required for proof of UK income -are tax returns or an accountant's letter any use?

If I decide to do some work (I have an English teaching qualification) does a retirement visa make life more difficult in some way?

In theory you can not work if on a retirement extension of stay (not called a visa) but there have reportedly been exceptions made. But, yes, it might well cause a problem but there is no requirement to stay on it or not to come back to it later.

The bank thing is common and people just ask around until they find one. Perhaps if you ask in the Chiang Mai forum someone can make a recommendation. I would not try shopping mall types as they probably do not have management authority that the set alone branches have.