Kind Gestures From Thai People

Jet Gorgon

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I returned home at 9pm on Xmas day, when I'd informed the missus I'd be home at 7:30pm. :D She only hit me once :D , and not too hard - it was Xmas. Verry kind of her I thought.

Her mother only laughed two or three times, quite kind. :D

Oh, and I'd left some important stuff in the cab. The driver found out where I lived and returned it to me. Very kind. :o

Did you get any presents?

I gave the taxi drive a small gift of my appreciation. Then I had to rub the missus's feet for a while, as a small apologetic gift. I went without, as usual.

You reap what you sew. And indeed if you're treated badly/unfairly/dishonestly I think it's reasonable to deal with it appropriately. Without getting sugary, I agree there are small and large acts of kindness which are truely remarkable, and reinforce the reason for "signing up" to living in Thailand. I'm talking about acts of kindness that do not have an ulterior motive, and obviously you have to be aware of that.

Good people are everywhere. Bad people are everywhere. Basic Thai people seem to extend goodwill no matter who they meet. The jaded ones seem to be the ones who deal daily with irascible farang.

But...even a Khao Sarn Road innkeeper used to let me use the shower for free when I was passing through BKK. And she was a dragon lady.

Thats called keeping an open and positive mind Miss Jet and in my opinion it's the best way to approach life... let me tell you a story ....

I used to see posts on TV from this guy called Terry57 all the time and it would be easy to assume that he is a bit of a goon :o .... well, I met up with him one night in one of his favourite haunts on Soi Rambuttri near Khaosan road and I can tell you that he is a cracking fella and even bought me a few beers ;)

So there you are ... keep that open and positive way of thinking and you will have a good time whoever you are with and wherever you are

Here's to you Terry

Your mate Dave

cricky's dave,

i hope the mods read this as i might get a bit of a discount on my warnings. :D

but seriously mate,

if you keep talking me up like that i'll have every frigging katoey on rambuttri street heading my way. :o:D

but thanks for that mate,

I THINK. :D :D :bah: :bah:

cheers :D

a few weeks ago im scratching around for a phone as i needed to phone a friend A.S.A.P.

front up to the enquires counter at pantip plaza and ask the lady if i could use her private mobile phone.

she rings the number and hands me the phone. :D

i offer to pay her for the phone call, she smiles at me and says may pen rai. :D

there have been many cases of generousity to me in thailand that i could go on for ever but thats it for me.

Why put her out coz she kind of had to let you use it because you asked her right? There are payphones just outside Pantip Plaza, be a bit more thoughtful next time. :o

Good people are everywhere. Bad people are everywhere. Basic Thai people seem to extend goodwill no matter who they meet. The jaded ones seem to be the ones who deal daily with irascible farang.

But...even a Khao Sarn Road innkeeper used to let me use the shower for free when I was passing through BKK. And she was a dragon lady.

Thats called keeping an open and positive mind Miss Jet and in my opinion it's the best way to approach life... let me tell you a story ....

I used to see posts on TV from this guy called Terry57 all the time and it would be easy to assume that he is a bit of a goon :bah: .... well, I met up with him one night in one of his favourite haunts on Soi Rambuttri near Khaosan road and I can tell you that he is a cracking fella and even bought me a few beers :o

So there you are ... keep that open and positive way of thinking and you will have a good time whoever you are with and wherever you are

Here's to you Terry

Your mate Dave

cricky's dave,

i hope the mods read this as i might get a bit of a discount on my warnings. ;)

but seriously mate,

if you keep talking me up like that i'll have every frigging katoey on rambuttri street heading my way. :o:D

I THINK. :D:bah::D

You'll need more than my scripts to give you a clean bill of health in that department Terry ... but I will still drink those big fresh, frothies with you and the katoys on Rambuttri even if you are a bad boy at times .... :D

I used to see posts on TV from this guy called Terry57 all the time and it would be easy to assume that he is a bit of a goon :o .... well, I met up with him one night in one of his favourite haunts on Soi Rambuttri near Khaosan road and I can tell you that he is a cracking fella and even bought me a few beers ;)

Here's to you Terry

Your mate Dave

cricky's dave,

i hope the mods read this as i might get a bit of a discount on my warnings. :D

but seriously mate,

I THINK. :D :D :bah: :bah:

Can I watch?

a few weeks ago im scratching around for a phone as i needed to phone a friend A.S.A.P.

front up to the enquires counter at pantip plaza and ask the lady if i could use her private mobile phone.

she rings the number and hands me the phone. :bah:

i offer to pay her for the phone call, she smiles at me and says may pen rai. :D

there have been many cases of generousity to me in thailand that i could go on for ever but thats it for me.

Why put her out coz she kind of had to let you use it because you asked her right? There are payphones just outside Pantip Plaza, be a bit more thoughtful next time. :o

come on maddy, lighten up a bit as she liked me. :bah:

i did'nt use those phones as you cant here a frigging thing as its that noisy, but i'll tell you what. ?

next time i need a phone i'll borrow yours, ok. :D :D

I used to see posts on TV from this guy called Terry57 all the time and it would be easy to assume that he is a bit of a goon .... well, I met up with him one night in one of his favourite haunts on Soi Rambuttri near Khaosan road and I can tell you that he is a cracking fella and even bought me a few beers

Here's to you Terry

Your mate Dave

cricky's dave,

i hope the mods read this as i might get a bit of a discount on my warnings.

but seriously mate,

if you keep talking me up like that i'll have every frigging katoey on rambuttri street heading my way. :D:D

I THINK.

cheers

You'll need more than my scripts to give you a clean bill of health in that department Terry ... but I will still drink those big fresh, frothies with you and the katoys on Rambuttri even if you are a bad boy at times ....

i been thinking about things dave, :bah:

maybe its when i put on my red lip stick, high heels and crutchless knickers with my gonads hanging out, that sends those katoeys over the edge. :D:bah:

crickys mate,

they get bloody excited dont they. :o

:o:D

come on maddy, lighten up a bit as she liked me. :bah:

i did'nt use those phones as you cant here a frigging thing as its that noisy, but i'll tell you what. ?

Shinawatra phone police just called from the Hilton to say you didn't pay for your Paris calls; hence, no phone service for you, bucko. Oh, and toxin rang from your number to say he only has kind thoughts for Thai people and he will soon paste a note on this thread to prove his love, sincerity and devotion to the local bank that handles his accounts.

First time I visited Thailand was with my sister in 1999. We were in Chiang Mai and had an address for a friend who lived there so we though we would try and find his house, on foot! After about 1 hour of walking we found what we believed to be the moo ban where our friend lived... we even found the house number. But it wasn't our friends house.

The family that lived there looked at the address and recognized our mistake (I still don't really know what it was, but obviously they knew better than us) and without hesitation directed us to hop into their truck. It was a long drive to our friends house, and when we got there he wasn't in. They waited for us while we wrote a note and then despite our insisting that it was not necessary they brought us back into town and dropped us at our guest house.

We offered to pay something towards their petrol, but naturally they refused.

Experiences like this one were part of the draw that made me want to come and live here. My Thai wife is the kindest person I know!

I have noticed that the older generation of Thais are kinder than the current crop of teens and young adults. I suppose this is common around the world. When my wife was pregnant it only ever seemed to be people over 50 who would surrender their seat on a bus or train, and now that we have our baby it's the same. Perhaps it's not to do with kindness, but experience v ignorance. Who knows?

Anyway I come from Ireland, a country where the people are the "salt of the earth". They're a tough act to follow, but the Thai people have made me feel very welcome with their many acts of kindness!

i offer to pay her for the phone call, she smiles at me and says may pen rai. :bah:

come on maddy, lighten up a bit as she liked me. :o

All about Greng Jai ain't it Terence, someone's gotta educate you farang barbarians. :D

she rings the number and hands me the phone.

i offer to pay her for the phone call, she smiles at me and says may pen rai.

come on maddy, lighten up a bit as she liked me.

next time i need a phone i'll borrow yours, ok.

All about Greng Jai ain't it Terence, someone's gotta educate you farang barbarians.

thanks for that maddy, :D

but i can still use your phone cant i ?. :D

cheers mate. :D

I gotta say a big thankyou to the OP. this is indeed the BEST thread I have read on thaivisa :o and some really nice stories..thanks to all for sharing.

being a thai myself perhaps I dont notice too much the kind little deeds people do for me..but there are plenty...so I will share one that my friends experienced...

they arrived at my place early morning (around 5am or so...) I was suppose to be up...or had my phone on so they could call me....but little DOH me...phone battery had died and I overslept!! woke up at almost 8 am.turned on my phone rushed to look outside the door...not sure what i was expecting....but there they were my 2 friends...waiting at the neighbours...having eaten had coffee etc....and enjoying half thai conversation with my neighbours with whom we only manage a nice hello every now and then....meaning they hardly know me, and absolutely dont know my friends :D

same friend is gonna stay at my place in a couple of weeks while Im away, and has requested I leave my keys with the same said neighbour :D

My experience from a couple of days ago..

The wife and I went into town (kalasin), as it was lunchtime we went to one of our favorite places, after eating and whilst paying I noticed french bread on the counter. Liking a nice bit of bread I asked the lady if they were for sale..

No she said, someone had given them to her .. she pointed at a large Thai bloke.

Ah well, never mind I said, and got on the motorbike. Just then the big Thai bloke comes and says hello, I lost the conversation after that, but basically told my wife we should follow him.

So off we go following this guy through Kalasin, and eventually arrived at his house. He went inside and after a minute or so emerged holding a bag with 2 large French sticks in it, and gave them to my wife. We she asked how much for them, he said no need, and refused to take any money from us (a rather funny scene).

After lots of thankyous and happy new years, we went on our way..

This is just one story I have regarding the generosity and kind gestures from thai people.. and certainly reminded me why I love Thailand so much !

totster :o

I love the stories.

You nice people are nice people. Anybody who doesn't like these warm and fuzzies, there are other forums featuring boa feather glue and stilletto spike in the thigh gutter talk.

And now, I will display my blog naievete and ask for your kind guidance, bloggers: what does OP mean and how come I cannot add dancing emoticons to my replies like the gentrified geriatric group does?

Aw, shucks, I feel like a five year old in a dusty street waiting for Pa to take me for ice cream.

I love the stories.

You nice people are nice people. Anybody who doesn't like these warm and fuzzies, there are other forums featuring boa feather glue and stilletto spike in the thigh gutter talk.

And now, I will display my blog naievete and ask for your kind guidance, bloggers: what does OP mean and how come I cannot add dancing emoticons to my replies like the gentrified geriatric group does?

Aw, shucks, I feel like a five year old in a dusty street waiting for Pa to take me for ice cream.

Ha ha Miss Jet ... well I'm going to be another nice Thai experience and help you free of charge :o

For your different smilies click on the arrow next to the smily face above your reply box.... if you want a more extensive choice then click on 'show all' when the list comes up.

The OP is the original poster (who started the thread) so that, in this case, means YOU ....... :D

I love the stories.

Ha ha Miss Jet ... well I'm going to be another nice Thai experience and help you free of charge :D

For your different smilies click on the arrow next to the smily face above your reply box.... if you want a more extensive choice then click on 'show all' when the list comes up.

The OP is the original poster (who started the thread) so that, in this case, means YOU ....... :D

:o:D:D

I learn humility again.

And thank you kindly for the mad max defense, David. Book smart, street stupid.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

When I was on Ko Lanta last year me and my friend were staying up the northern end, while our other friends were staying at the southern part. We headed down to them to watch the mighty Villa take on Everton at our mates hotel. The game was late at night and we didn't realise exactly how quite lanta was on the night, so there was no taxis to flag down and the hotel's owner was an elderly man who didn't want to drive at night, so they offered me and my friend a room for the night free if charge! And this place was charging a couple of thousand a night per room. Very friendly people.

Peopel who have never been to Thailand usually seem to assume that all Thai's want to rip you off, some do but every country has people wanting to rip others off, its just a shame that every other country doesn't has the hospitality that Thai's offer.

I love it...thais ain't no better or worse than any asians when dealing with white people...unless you're with family there's always an ulterior motive...

wise up, <deleted>...

The only people I know with this attitude are losers who go around with a lousy attitude towards life and think that their crap life is everyone elses' fault.

Maybe people have an ulterior motive with you because you are just plain unpleasant.

If you're that jaded go home.

oh dear...vic joins the love it or leave it brigade...chill, dude...no hard feelings from the past...

plus, Suphanburi IS home...this poor falang wastrel has nowhere else to go (snif)...I just prefer brutal reality to roast beef and ice cream...

maybe we should have a poll...''is tutsi an ogre?'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I love it...thais ain't no better or worse than any asians when dealing with white people...unless you're with family there's always an ulterior motive...

wise up, <deleted>...

The only people I know with this attitude are losers who go around with a lousy attitude towards life and think that their crap life is everyone elses' fault.

Maybe people have an ulterior motive with you because you are just plain unpleasant.

If you're that jaded go home.

oh dear...vic joins the love it or leave it brigade...chill, dude...no hard feelings from the past...

plus, Suphanburi IS home...this poor falang wastrel has nowhere else to go (snif)...I just prefer brutal reality to roast beef and ice cream...

I'll take roast beef every time as long as there's a side of horseradish ....

Staying at some bungalows in chaloklam koh pangnan we asked the lady that owned a restaurant if she had any benson and hedges cigarettes she replied "no but i get for you, you want benson, me go"

hops on her little motorbike and rides 30 mins to thong-salat in the pouring rain, returns with one packet

and simply charges me the price for the smokes!!

Wonderful lady- big tip!

Mark

cricky's dave,

i hope the mods read this as i might get a bit of a discount on my warnings. ;)

but seriously mate,

if you keep talking me up like that i'll have every frigging katoey on rambuttri street heading my way. :D:bah:

I THINK. :D :D :o:bah:

Big Bald Head,,,,, Big Hose,,,,Katoeys Chasing You,,,Hmnnn You Sexy Thing You... :o

One time I withdrew 10,000 Baht from the Siam Commercial Bank ATM on the BTS platform at Phrom Phong (Emporium). The machine gave me the 10,000 Baht in 500 Baht notes instead of 1000 Baht notes. That was an act of kindness that I have not forgotten.

:o

kenk3z

Far too many acts of kindness to mention, so I'll go with the most recent. Today I phoned our pet food supplier to order some dog food (I run a dog rescue center). I actually ordered a little less than usual, as we still had some. They brought it this evening (they always deliver for free). Instead of the 120kg of dry food I had ordered, they gave me 200kg. The extra 80kg was a New Year gift from them, and it was better quality & more expensive than the brand I'd ordered. Sure, I'm a good customer, but I'd be a good customer whether they'd done this or not, this was just pure kindness. :o

Once a stranger took me to the best hospital in Bangkok when I was very sick with booze and drugs, vistited me every day and paid the bill. Years later, now a very good friend. Simply- this act of kindness saved my life.

In my experience - the worse off I've been, more acts of kindness.

Edited by Neeranam