Buying things from Amazon what do I need to expect.

Samacha

13 hours ago, Ahab said:

Super high shipping costs.

On Amazon?  When I was considering buying a laptop earlier this month it was US$26.73 for standard shipping and US$39.55 for expedited (3 to 5 days) shipping.  I didn't think that was exorbitant.

Why pay in baht? Pay in usd and let the bank convert. You will get better rate probably.

you will not pay any customs tax if you use amazon global shipping program, which cuts and pays customs tax with your order.

ebay global shipping also works the same.

59 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

On Amazon?  When I was considering buying a laptop earlier this month it was US$26.73 for standard shipping and US$39.55 for expedited (3 to 5 days) shipping.  I didn't think that was exorbitant.

Amazon Prime. Those prices seem reasonable.

I just looked at pedestal seats for a boat (deck mount fitting, 24" aluminum pole, and a small seat with cushion for resting on while casting), total order for two sets was $260 dollars, shipping was $280 dollars (USD). A recent order of marine electronics the order was $170 dollars, and shipping was $100 dollars (USD). This was shipping only, not including customs fees that Amazon tacked on.

Just check the shipping cost before buying. I previously lived in Hawaii, and it was common for large bulky items to be expensive to ship (if you could even get it shipped to Hawaii).

15 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Ordering anything expensive is just a chance to come back  to cry on the forum later...

Everything is available here and buying abroad to save few $$$ is plain ridiculous.

I buy pretty much all my computer and mobile device hardware and accessories from the U.S., often via Amazon, and then have it reshipped here to Thailand via my U.S. reshipping service at relatively little extra cost using Airmail or USPS -- never FedEx or DHL.

The range of selection and prices available in the U.S. is far better than in Thailand. And the U.S. prices I can get plus my added shipping costs almost always work out to be a better deal for me than the cost of buying direct in Thailand. Not to mention, Amazon actually has excellent customer service and stands behind their purchases, unlike most Thai retailers who take your money and then never want to hear from you again.

I buy pretty much all my computer and mobile device hardware and accessories from the U.S., often via Amazon, and then have it reshipped here to Thailand via my U.S. reshipping service at relatively little extra cost using Airmail or USPS -- never FedEx or DHL.

The range of selection and prices available in the U.S. is far better than in Thailand. And the U.S. prices I can get plus my added shipping costs almost always work out to be a better deal for me than the cost of buying direct in Thailand. Not to mention, Amazon actually has excellent customer service and stands behind their purchases, unlike most Thai retailers who take your money and then never want to hear from you again.

Yeah true, check the model Asus laptop on Lazada, it's way more expensive and those Thai sellers are trying to scam me or what? 8 GB ram instead of 16 GB? Did they take some out or what? I don't know why the model isn't the same when I buy from Thailand and when I buy from the USA. Well to be on safe side and I really don't mind the waiting time(shipping). It's 5-10 days so what. Better service and better quality. And I don't get screwed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All the tech manufacturers typically localize their products for different markets -- U.S., Europe, Asia, and in some cases, specifically for Thailand. The model numbers may be different, and the components and specs may be different as well from region to region.  That gets to be more of a potential issue when it comes to mobile phones, because of the variations in LTE band coverage in phones designed for different regions.

But when it comes to laptops, there's really no such issues or complications. I always buy my laptops from the U.S., directly from Amazon wherever possible. And of course the other typical advantage of buying laptops in the U.S. vs Thailand is the U.S. versions almost always come with a legit, latest licensed version of Windows pre-installed, whereas in Thailand that's the exception or an extra cost add-on.

Every time I've ever shopped for a laptop here in Thailand, for some curious reason, the prices for the identical model and identical specs almost always end up being identical or close to it among the various retailers/resellers. There seems to be very little meaningful market competition or discounting here when it comes to these kinds of products.

have had 3 Amazon packages delivered, 1 package still held in customs after 40 days.

signup to prime even in just for the day. items under about $14 seem tax free so 32gb is good 64 is 3x the price min.

pay attention to who you are buying from, I shopped for laptops for 2 months and found that in many cases finding a seller who ships with USPS them paying 7% at post office was far better than UPS DHL or FEDEX not knowing how long or even if your package will arrive.

Small packages get through with ease, 4TB WD, 500GB 960 EVO m.2, cables, etc. Bluetooth speaker is still stuck (taxes paid). Laptop via UPS was a week before released taxes paid through amazon.

Pro tip, check lazada for thai options. many cases like Anker products are cheaper to buy here and cash on delivery and offer 7 day returns (unlike physical stores where return really means "if its broken" replace)

Also for warranty my msi laptop because its a US store I can open and add m.2 ssd for 3,300mb/s read. anywhere else it would be void including UK

Edited by jbob