English language library in Chiang Mai?

mat999

My Filipina wife wants to improve her English grammar. She has found a reasonably priced text book, but I noticed a library on the map the other day which gave me an idea, in case she wants multiple books. I searched the forum and just saw information about a Christian library which has now closed.

Are foreigners on an education visa (not related to language) welcome to take books out of any public libraries in Chiang Mai? I assume they would have the book/s she is interested in as I imagine Thais would use it when fairly proficient in English.

Thank you.

There used to be a USIS library associated with the American consulate. When that closed down, the library was passed on to the AUA in Chiang Mai and as far as I am aware they still maintain it. I'm not sure what the conditions are for using it but if you contact AUA they will tell you. 

There exists an American Center at Chiang Mai University. What resources in English are available, I do not know. You might inquire through the Consulate or Chiang Mai University Library. With the help of the U.S. Embassy, I donated some 298 books on American/Latin American History ( in English) to the Chiang Mai University Library. Some of these books were further sent to The Pince of Songha University in the South.

There are still a handful of good second-hand book stores here, you pay to buy the book, but they give you a 50% trade-in credit when you bring it back, personally I'd recommend Backstreet Books  ...  George (from Eire) is a lovely helpful guy, who also runs the fairly-nearby Lost Bookshop  ...  

http://backstreetbooksiam.com/

also next doors to BB is Gekko Books

https://www.gekkobooks.com/

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

There are still a handful of good second-hand book stores here, you pay to buy the book, but they give you a 50% trade-in credit when you bring it back, personally I'd recommend Backstreet Books  ...  George (from Eire) is a lovely helpful guy, who also runs the fairly-nearby Lost Bookshop  ...  

http://backstreetbooksiam.com/

also next doors to BB is Gekko Books

https://www.gekkobooks.com/

These shops are wonderful - I love going there.

Thanks all. She actually found a suitable book for a good price as new, think it is new actually. From the book store just south of Macdonalds at Thapae Gate. 

Its nice to have a real book for reference books.

We found inquiring about services at CMU very frustrating as we don't speak Thai.

I use a Kindle e-book, which is excellent, as books can be downloaded from your home-town library if your membership is current, or new books can be purchased on-line.   e-books are far cheaper than printed books and are delivered instantly via Amazon or free from your library.

Another advantage is that if a new or difficult word is in the text, the Kindle has a dictionary built in, and the explanation pops up when you hold your finger on the new word.  Great for English learners.

I usually keep about 10 books or so in my Kindle, but it holds many more.  Zero weight, no overweight luggage!

5 hours ago, mat999 said:

Thanks all. She actually found a suitable book for a good price as new, think it is new actually. From the book store just south of Macdonalds at Thapae Gate. 

Its nice to have a real book for reference books.

We found inquiring about services at CMU very frustrating as we don't speak Thai.

That would be DK-Books, excellent stationery-shop, and not bad for new books either, but she really should try one of the secondhand-shops, so should you if you enjoy reading, they'll bring a lot of pleasure once you discover them ! :wai:

Edited by Ricardo

I am not a reader, poor attention span from electronic devices.

I found it fascinating you can download books from your library to a Kindle. I had no idea that was possible. I used to own the original Kindle which is a great device.

But like I said with reference books I think it is best to have a hard copy if not experienced with a kindle. Especially as some of these language books have tasks to fill in.

Thanks again all ??

There was an English library at cm unîversity. I used to cruise it to meet young women as well as attractive ajarns. yes, and to read books !