Thailand pleased with Colombia's adaptation to drug approach

webfact

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Sarcasm doesn't help.  Drug abuse is a world wide epidemic.  Anything that is an attempt to reduce it is a positive thing.

But as NOTHING will NEVER reduce drug in the world, you can keep dreaming and enjoy your life. You have lost, the war is lost, and I am so happy about it !

5 minutes ago, bbpbbp said:

But as NOTHING will NEVER reduce drug in the world, you can keep dreaming and enjoy your life. You have lost, the war is lost, and I am so happy about it !

Actually I am enjoying my life.  I've lost.  You're happy?  You sound quite tortured.  Really.  Think about your statements. Please stop trolling me.

6 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Actually I am enjoying my life.  I've lost.  You're happy?  You sound quite tortured.  Really.  Think about your statements. Please stop trolling me.

So now you don't exist.  Thank God for the ignore feature.

On 28/08/2017 at 11:38 AM, Briggsy said:

Absolutely, poppy cultivation was done at the hill tribe / subsistence farmer level. The lucrative smuggling was done by state actors (police / politicians) thus when the state decided to move on to other revenue streams (under U.S. pressure), poppies became history.

Contrast this to the industrial scale narco-gangs of Colombia who run whole regions of the country as a shadow state administration. This, as you point out, is far more similar to the industrial scale amphetamine production and dealing done in Shan State / Thailand.

Incidentally, good to see 2 spellings of Colombia in the article keeping up the Thai journalist's habit of confusing countries with other districts / other countries and spelling them incorrectly. Austria/Australia anyone?

Getting rid of the triads went a long way in ridding Thailand of their heroin problem, the triads did actually have a pretty tight hold on the region since the 1850's, it was originally a hill tribe thing but the triads took it to being a commercially grown crop, it was first sanctioned by the government but then later criminalised.  But the triads loss was only another's gain and the mafia who took hold only switched from heroin to amphetamine, the war is not a winnable one, especially when Thai juntas of the past have not cared, and have gone a lot further than just turning a blind eye but allowed the mafia to control entire stretches of borders and basically given them amnesty.

Turning opium farmers into growing other crops is certainly a great idea, like rice. But since this means entering a much less profitable and more competitive market, it naturally would require subsidies for the farmers to even survive. Except that the junta is doing this same thing again, they are luckily for them self-amnestified, I truly doubt that any potential (if ever) future elected PM would try that again.... 

let us surely hope Columbia will be successful (chances are small by copying a failure)

Chair P' was delighted by Colombia's decision to adopt royal teachings to solve their narcotics problem they said .. Afore he self congratulates himself too much it should not be forgotten that the alternative crop has been tried before in numerous parts of the world previously .. In the case of the poppy cultivation in Afghanistan as far back as 2005 the U S and British were throwing a lot of time , money and resources at trying to get farmers to abandon the poppy in favour of more wholesome crops .. But the most recent reliable data available is the poppy and therefore opium production is at an all time high .. ( forgive pun please ) And similar schemes have also been used in Colombia before that encouraged the growers to cultivate coffee over coca plants .. that there are now some 150,000 hectares turned over to coca production suggest it hasnt worked there either .. The unmissable fact in all these conundrums about growing Narc's or not growing N's is money .. Growing stuff that is illegal will always fetch a better price than legit' crops .. that is the way of the world .. 

On 28/08/2017 at 5:35 AM, joeyg said:

Any attempt to restrict illegal drug consumption is a good thing.

A bad thing that never works and encourages corruption, increased drug consumption and destroys families and communities more than drugs. The war on drugs is a war on the people supported by puritans, hypocrites, and the ill informed.

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

A bad thing that never works and encourages corruption, increased drug consumption and destroys families and communities more than drugs. The war on drugs is a war on the people supported by puritans, hypocrites, and the ill informed.

I love you ! I am too stupid to say anything else but the F word to all the stupid people who cannot understand what you have explained ! Thank you again !

On 9/1/2017 at 3:37 AM, The manic said:

Thank you for your opinion.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:37 AM, The manic said:

Spot on. The moronic who think they should lock up all those who  take drugs rather than legalize soft drugs and cut out the supplies of hard drugs are ignorant fools.

19 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Spot on. The moronic who think they should lock up all those who  take drugs rather than legalize soft drugs and cut out the supplies of hard drugs are ignorant fools.

:thumbsup:

Legalise the distribution of soft-drugs, tax it heavily (like alcohol or tobacco) and use part of the money raised to seriously go after the hard-drug producers/suppliers, and gain the added-bonus of denying soft-drug profits to criminals.

Prohibition didn't work, because there was a demand from users for the product, so they found a better way to regulate alcohol, and cut out the bootleggers.

This seems to be happening naturally anyway, in certain North American states ?

49 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Thank you for your opinion.

On 8/28/2017 at 7:25 AM, rkidlad said:

And maybe Colombia can teach Thailand how to go from failed state to a booming economy. It's what happens when the people who   'genuinely' love their country say, "enough is enough" and work to fix it. 

Agreed.

Problem with Thailand is that so long as the elites are rich and get richer, there are no problems to fix. End of Story!