Kim Yo Jong, a senior adviser to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his sister, said she was not aware of any discussions between the United States and North Korea, in remarks carried by state media on Wednesday.
The comment came after Donald Trump told reporters earlier in the day that Kim Jong Un had responded to a request for a conversation and that the two leaders would meet later this year. Their relationship has been strained by North Korea’s concerns about joint annual military exercises involving the United States and South Korea.
Trump Flags Possible Meeting This Year
Trump said Kim Jong Un had agreed to take up his request for a call and suggested a meeting would follow later this year. The remarks were made against the backdrop of tensions over the scheduled drills and North Korea’s reaction to them.
Kim Yo Jong Denies Knowing Of Talks
In a statement translated by South Korean outlet The Chosun Daily, Kim Yo Jong said: “There has been no communication between the leaders of North Korea and the U.S. that we are aware of.” She added: “I am not aware of it at all,” saying it may be “the only thing” she does not know about foreign policy decisions by her country’s top leadership.
She also described the relationship between Washington and Pyongyang’s leaders as “still excellent”.
The Hill said it had contacted the White House for comment.
Ulchi Freedom Shield Denounced As Hostility
Kim Yo Jong also renewed North Korea’s criticism of Ulchi Freedom Shield, describing the exercise as “an expression of open hostility” towards the country. Her remarks were issued despite Trump’s decision on Sunday to scale back the drills following a warning from North Korea.
Ulchi Freedom Shield is one of the annual training events involving US forces and South Korean troops. The US military has taken part in joint exercises with South Korea for more than 70 years, a period it cites as aimed at maintaining readiness in the region.
North Korea has long characterised the drills as threatening. After the announcement of this year’s exercise, Pyongyang carried out several ballistic missile tests.
Decision To Reduce Training Draws Criticism
Trump’s instruction to Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” the exercises drew criticism from Democrats and foreign policy experts.
Arizona Senator Mark Kelly, a Democrat who took part in the annual exercises during his time in the Navy, criticised the move in a social media post. He said Trump should “read some history and get his priorities straight”, adding that the drills help US forces and allies such as South Korea remain “well trained and coordinated”.
Kelly also argued that scaling down the exercises “only helps North Korea”.

20 August 2026
Recommended Comments
Create an account or sign in to comment