President Trump has renewed his push to claim the Strait of Hormuz for the United States, posting a revised map of the waterway that labels it “new US territory”.
On Tuesday, Trump shared the image on his Truth Social account and then made further claims in subsequent posts. He said the strait had been cleared of Iranian mines and that no additional talks with the Islamic Republic were planned.
The latest move follows warnings from Iran and growing uncertainty over shipping routes through the strait, a key passage for oil and other trade between the Gulf and the open sea.
Map Posted On Truth Social
Trump posted the revised map shortly after previously raising the idea of a permanent US presence in the strait during an election campaign event on Long Island on Friday.

Truth Social / realDonaldTrump
In his later comments, the president linked his claim to the expectation that the conflict with Iran would eventually end, reiterating that he intended to declare the Hormuz Strait a US territory after what he described as the defeat of Iran.
Separately, Trump’s posts also suggested that the security situation around the waterway had changed, saying that mines in the area had been cleared.
Long Island Remarks And Nuclear Warning
At the Long Island event, Trump told supporters that once the campaign against Iran was finished, he would declare the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States.
He also argued that preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon was worth paying extra for fuel, saying it would mean motorists would pay “a tiny little bit more for your gasoline”. He added that he would not apologise for his approach, saying he had “done the right thing”.
Since then, he has repeatedly floated the idea of declaring the strait US territory following the war with Iran, which is in its sixth month.
Ceasefire Collapse And Route Through Oman
Earlier, an initial ceasefire arrangement collapsed last month after Iran renewed attacks on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.
The renewed strikes came after ships used a route approved by the United States along the coast of Oman.
The breakdown has left the situation around the strait tense, with Trump continuing to underline US plans and Iran responding with sharp criticism of his assertions.
Iran Response And Shipping Disruption
Iran has said Trump’s claim amounts to “delusions”. In a statement, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the strait would only be opened and closed under Iran’s command, adding that Iran would keep enforcing what he described as a blockade unless the US accepted defeat and stopped indulging in those claims.
The uncertainty has contributed to reduced traffic through the waterway, with fewer than a dozen ships transiting per day and only six crossing on Monday.
Markets have also reacted to the latest developments. Brent crude, the global benchmark, rose to $91 a barrel on Tuesday after the US ruled out extending the ceasefire deal.

19 August 2026
Recommended Comments
Create an account or sign in to comment