Ipod Transfer To A New Laptop

kayo

If you still have the old laptop you should copy the music files onto your hard disk from your ipod then install your new ipod, copy the music files back onto your ipod and then onto your new laptop hard disc, then copy/paste them into your itunes music folder, once they are in this folder you should install or open itunes then go to 'file' 'add file to library' and select the folders from there...

Edited by Nikkijah

If you still have the old laptop you should copy the music files onto your hard disk from your ipod then install your new ipod, copy the music files back onto your ipod and then onto your new laptop hard disc, then copy/paste them into your itunes music folder, once they are in this folder you should install or open itunes then go to 'file' 'add file to library' and select the folders from there...

FORGET ALL THAT ABOVE - TOTALLY CONFUSING!!!

COPY AND PASTE YOUR ITUNES FOLDER ONTO YOUR IPOD AS STORAGE, NOT THROUGH ITUNES

INSTALL YOUR IPOD ON YOUR NEW PC

COPY THE STORED FILES INTO YOUR NEW ITUNES FOLDER THEN IN ITUNES SELECT 'FILE'

'ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY'

SIMPLE...

unless...

If you are buggered, go into your ipod though my computer, there you should fine a file named 'ipod control' if you don't find this then you will need to 'un-hide folders, tell me if you need to know how to do this..

Anyhow, in this 'ipod control' folder you will find a file named 'music' in this file are folders containing your music, the only problem with this is that they have been seperated to comply with the ipods 'system' not sure why, but they have.

You will find all of your music here but none of it will have names and it will seem like it has been randomly mixed up to piss you off :o

You will have to spend hours and hours(depending on how many tracks you had) sorting it all out and naming everything all over again :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Edited by Nikkijah

Itunes won't copy music from an Ipod to a PC, only from PC to Ipod. If you want to copy Ipod-PC without messing about with strangely named files you need some other software to do it.

very true endure, but if you have itunes on your pc anyway you will have a folder where your itunes music is stored, this will usually be in your 'my documents' folder

However, if you are totally screwed then you can find your music in the folders I mentioned above(laborious I know)

I'm trying to think what the OP can do if he cannot get his files from his old PC and he CAN get them off his ipod because I've had to do it before so I know it is possible :o

to the OP, PM me and I can give you my skype or msn username, I can guide you through the process if you need me to :D

Edited by Nikkijah

Kayo said that he had his tunes on his Ipod and wanted to copy them to a new PC. He implied that he longer had the old PC. Either of the programs that I mentioned (one of which is free) will do this without needing to get involved in the Ipod's strange way of storing files.

Okay, but the point is (this is for my real brother btw)

his music was on his old is the same as themusic on his Ipod.

He still has the old laptop but it seems to be complicated to transfer from laptop to laptop (yes, there are external harddrives and flash drives available- the files just don't seem to copy)

the link you gave endure, seems to describe the solution fairly well.

I think.

But more suggestions would be welcome.

again. The files are there on the old laptop.

The new laptop is drooling and gagging for input.

iTunes is a Bastard that doesn't like sharing.

As you already have the 'stuff' necessary to connect your Ipod to your new laptop the program I suggested is the easiest (and cheapest) way. If you want to connect laptop to laptop you're going to have to start buying bits of wire or hard drives or other expensive things. Well, that's what I reckon anyway :o

Okay, but the point is (this is for my real brother btw)

his music was on his old is the same as themusic on his Ipod.

He still has the old laptop but it seems to be complicated to transfer from laptop to laptop (yes, there are external harddrives and flash drives available- the files just don't seem to copy)

the link you gave endure, seems to describe the solution fairly well.

I think.

But more suggestions would be welcome.

again. The files are there on the old laptop.

The new laptop is drooling and gagging for input.

iTunes is a Bastard that doesn't like sharing.

kayo, I'm not joking, simply copy the files from your brothers 'itunes' folder which can be found in his 'my documents' folder onto his ipod - using it as a hard-drive, then once you've installed the ipod onto your new laptop just copy(or cut) the 'itunes' folder from his ipod into 'my documents' then go into your ipod and do as I said before - in itunes >file>add new folder> and select the itunes music folder you just copied in!

Really, don't install new software that isn't necessary! Contact me and I can guide you step-by-step through this very easy process!

As you already have the 'stuff' necessary to connect your Ipod to your new laptop the program I suggested is the easiest (and cheapest) way. If you want to connect laptop to laptop you're going to have to start buying bits of wire or hard drives or other expensive things. Well, that's what I reckon anyway :o

You don't need to connect any laptop to any other laptop, it's much more simple than that, listen to me man, I've had all the transfer problems with ipods and itunes so I've had the 'opportunity' to sort them out too!

PM me for my skype or msn details, I'll sort you out, easy!

nikkijah,

I have sent you a text message through skype. When my brother an I have some time together tomorrow, I'm going to call you through skype.

As I'm about six hours behind you, and it's the first time I've seen my bro in years, I'm not sure when, but I estimate, for Thai Time, late afternoon to early evening.

Endure, I'd have no prob downloading software, long as it is reliable, and looking at the link you sent me, I'd download it no probs, but if it can ultimately be done without doing so, I thinkmy bro would prefer it.

He's a Yup after all, and he's gotta have his things the way he likes 'em, which I'll always respect. (he will be reading this tomorrow no doubt) through my laptop :o)

I recommended he put everything through foobar, which was recently suggested to me here, and I'm happy with, but... (shrugs shoulders)

Myself, in all honesty, closest i come to ithingies is M4a and MP4 tracks, nd that was my last thread on this forum.

I'm not touching itunes with a barge pole.

Regardless, (I drifted, my apologies), the situation remains, and there is some more clarification. Tomorrow we'll be in contact, I hope, and get it sorted out.

My bro's new laptop is cool. I honestly don't think he set's his new programs up all too well. Alright yes, but not all too well. In My Humble Opinion. So there be a bit of a mess with folders.

To be clarified over freephones tomorrow, me hopes!

:D :D :D

I've just copied 32gb of music from my old ipod to my new one. There is an easy way to do this.

1. Download the program called Sharepod.

2. Connect your ipod to the computer you downloaded sharepod on.

3. Unzip sharepod and copy all the files to your Ipod which will be in My Computer as a new drive.

4. Run sharepod executable from your ipod drive.

5. Select all your music and click copy to PC.

6 Specify a folder where you'd like your files to be saved then continue.

That should be it. I've done this a lot in the past to give other people albums off my iPod and i've just transferred everything to a new iPod using this method. Never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all gentlemen. I'm sorry I didn't return to this thread.

I'd expected to be rid of this problem until I visit my brother mid january.

He has, however, since emailed me saying he got it sorted.

James 512, sorry I didn't get back to you also. Your solution seems rational and fairly straightforward. Same reasons. Just hadn't looked here since.

My bad.

Here was my brothers solution (presumably written by a colleague of his)

How to get all your ipod music onto a new itunes (new computer)

1) Plug Ipod into old computer and go to ipod settings and and then change to manual updating

2) Plug ipod into new computer

3) Go to explorer (right click start button on your desktop and select explore )

4) Select tools in the explorer window

5) Select folder options

6) Select view

7) Click (activate) “show hidden files and folders”

8) Apply (ok)

9) Look for your connected ipod in explorer

10) Select then Copy all folders in there (all your music will be split up into different folders )

11) Paste them all into a new folder within itunes folder (normally filed in my music then Itunes folder)

12) Bring up itunes

13) Click select file to add to library

14) Browse and find the new file you had created (in step 11)

15) All those songs (therefore the songs from your ipod) will be updated into itunes

16) Plug in your ipod to the new computer and update the ipod (it will ask if you want to overwrite current ipod data with whats on the computer – click yes)

Hm.. indeed astral.

This is largely why -certainly as far as my music collection is concerned - I am sticking with basic mp3 files under windows ( and other) player.

The other day I downloaded iTunes. I was just gonna see what it is like as player.

Jesus.... It is still, after three days, trying to "find album art" (which I mostly have within the album folders anyway) and trying to "merge songs seamlessly" and I dunno what else...

Slowed my system and internet transfer rate considerably as a result.

But the thing is, when I added my library, it started converting all my non mp3 files....and making new folders, because I guess apple are too snooty to share the same library as me.... I dunno...

anyway, worthless, play functions and sorting functions and playlist functions are crap.

Bugger that. Uninstall. WMP11 is a dream compared to iTunes. And I don't say that lightly.