Air Polution

Beanster1

Has anybody noticed how bad the air polution in Chiang Mai is recently? I can't even see Doi Sutep from my house and it's only a couple of Kilometres away.

I'm sure it wasn't as bad as this two years ago or even last year.

When the winds came 2 or 3 weeks back I couldn't believe how clear everything was. Shows what you get used to!!!

But it's back to normal now and I'm actually starting to think I don't want to live anywhere where I am breathing in this much crap!

I read an article in Chiang Mai News a while back that said Cm's air is the worst in the country ,because of the bowl topograpy in the region, even worse than BKK.

Is anyone else getting fed up with it?

:o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for all of it, but much of the 'haze' you see is visible humidity at this time of year from the cold air coming in from China. In the morning, it's fog in some areas, but in the daytime, it's too warm for fog so it shows as humidity. This was noticeable to me recently whe I went up to Doi Angkang and saw the same thing everywhere in the mountains at all elevations, On the non-sunlight sides higher up, it is heavy fog/light rain...

Certainly, it makes sense that there is always higher-than-safe levels of pollutants in this area because of the geography and vehicles, but I haven't seen much field burning, or any forest fires lately, which are the main contributors to the visible form of air pollution around here, it think...

In any case, it still sucks that we can barely see the beautiful mountains around us... And soon it will all be air pollution blocking our views and our lungs :o

I'm always amazed at the amount of diesel dust or soot there is around the in-law's house in Samut Prakan. My wife recently brought back a load of shoes that were all packed individualy in plastic bags. Those were all left at the back of the house for a while under a roof but I could not believe at the amount of black dust covering them and how dirty myhands were after handling them. Anything stored there for a while gets real dirty. Electronics we brought back as well did not seem to work very well anymore. A river that runs behind the house is now showing a constant display of garbage coming from upstream, the water blackened. My wife remembers how she used to swim in the clean water there 15-20 years ago.

We also bought a piece of furniture in Chonburi a while ago, it was delivered to our house. It seemed to be in good shape until I decided to give it a quick wipe before storing clothes in the drawers. Same thing again, black soot all over it as the store is right on Sukhumvit rd.

There sadly doesn't seem to be much concern about the air quality anywhere in the country. The worst vehicles are obviously buses and trucks but there are still quite a few smaller vehicles on the roads doing their share of pollution. I guess the vehicle manufacturers are getting more conscious about it as the years go by but that may take quite a while to produce any visible effect.

I don't even want to start thinking about what and how much crap the industries are spewing out ...

My father in law was just talking about how he remembers traveling on the roads here and encountering a motor vehicle every few hours only. "How things have changed" he said... while coughing... He has never smoked.

but I haven't seen much field burning, or any forest fires lately, which are the main contributors to the visible form of air pollution around here, it think...

The pollutants from fires and field burnings usually put in their annual appearance around late-February.

but I haven't seen much field burning, or any forest fires lately, which are the main contributors to the visible form of air pollution around here, it think...

The pollutants from fires and field burnings usually put in their annual appearance around late-February.

Yeah, when it seems that you're wearing brown-tinted glasses :o

Since I came to Chiang Mai, I very often wake up in the morning with dry eyes. Does anybody else experience the same thing, and what is the cause of this? Anything to do with forest fires or pollution?

Me Too!!It's not because of aircon either...it hasn't been oturned on for a couple of weeks now.I can't understand it?

Maybe you guys are one of those spooky types who sleep with your eyes open?   :o  :D

Nope, I dont, but I know a guy who does. Looks weird.

Well, nice to hear that somebody experiences the same thing i guess. Anyone got any theories as to why. I have never experienced it in any other country/city.

Spooky is a very good way to describe this..I know of two women who sleep with their eyes half open.....very weird indeed. :D

As for the dry eyes, I really have no idea. If I have had a few on a friday night, I can understand being a bit dry next morning, but other than this i'm buggered if I know. :D

Wow! It sure wasn't humidity today! Yuck! :D

Huge inversion layer trapping everything... It seemed like all the previously invisible vehicle exhausts were made visible. When I was coming out of the mountains north of Doi Saket, I went from beautiful blue sky and invisible air to a brown sky and brown air... Some places on the longer stretches, I could only see a couple of hundred yards ahead.

As Chiang Mai grows, so do the numbers of vehicles. I don't sense anything will get better on the air pollution front anytime soon.. -- Today I saw a police officer with a 'fire stick' of some sort, lighting brush fires along the road, and here's where it all starts.... I see the fields are ripe for the torch soon, too.

Some years ago I remember the government touting a field burning vehicle with a built in filter of some sort.. Anyone remember this, or know of anything happening on this front?

As for the forest fires, they're the easiest to enforce. Just arrest the offenders for awhile, and behaviours will change. So far, according to the news, only one person was arrested (doi sutep) but with no evidence outside of his carrying a lighter....

The vehicles... Good luck. No possible reprieve of any sort even being considered by officials. Just more more more of everything... :o

Wow! It sure wasn't humidity today! Yuck!  :o

Huge inversion layer trapping everything... It seemed like all the previously invisible vehicle exhausts were made visible. When I was coming out of the mountains north of Doi Saket, I went from beautiful blue sky and invisible air to a brown sky and brown air...

Doesn't surprise me to hear that. My eyes are bothering me tonight, something that I generally associate with the burnings at the end of the cool season.

I have two wide windows with balconies overlooking Doi Southep, but visibility is poor. I've noticed that if my shirt sleeve cuff is protruding from my jacket, it's soiled within 20 minutes (while riding on the superhighway). Dust piles up inside the house even though we keep most of the windows shut. Pollution everywhere.

For a number of reasons I moved down to Surat and what a good move it was.

It is very clean here, sea breezes from both ways.

I can ride or walk around here, come home and not a black face to be seen.

Chiang Mai has become a dirty town I'm afraid.

For a number of reasons I moved down to Surat and what a good move it was.

It is very clean here, sea breezes from both ways.

I can ride or walk around here, come home and not a black face to be seen.

Chiang Mai has become a dirty town I'm afraid.

I'd rather take my chances in Chiang Mai than be around the blind and clueless drivers Surat is infamous for... Most of my closest calls have been in Surat.. :o

Edited by Ajarn

If you fellas are trying to convince us NOT to move to CM, you're doing a helluva job.

Ajarn, was it not you who wrote somewhere that the field burnings etc. start mid-December and escalate rapidly into February -- consequently December remains a relatively "clean" month w.r.t. pollution? My apology if it infact was not you.

Hey, I don't get it; if November thru' March is the "gorgeous" season for CM (as per the guide books and northerners) and you fellows are already complaining in December, what the heck is going on?

So let me ask you this -- CM MUST have some magical qualities that taken together, totally dwarf this huge pollution negative; mind sharing this with us undecided unfortunates?

Regards

Harmonica

Just got back from a few days in Rayong. the weather wasn't better down there, even by the sea. Poor visability etc.

I enjoy going running, but these days I wouldn't want to do it out in CM. Wouldn't know what kind of filth you were breathing in!Thinking about buying a treadmill and doing it at home.

The pollution is only a problem for a few months of the year.

The big plus here is the people.Just my opinion, but I find most people here to be more friendly and genuine than other parts of Thailand that I have visited. Even the immigration police are friendly!! :o

If you fellas are trying to convince us NOT to move to CM, you're doing a helluva job.

Ajarn, was it not you who wrote somewhere that the field burnings etc. start mid-December and escalate rapidly into February -- consequently December remains a relatively "clean" month w.r.t. pollution?  My apology if it infact was not you.

Yes, I mentioned a day or two ago that I saw an official starting fires along the road and that the fields in the area look ripe for burning, too. And added that on the day I referred to, the heavy smoke was mostly vehicle-related, I felt.

I'm sure I've said worse things  :D

Hey, I don't get it; if November thru' March is the "gorgeous" season for CM (as per the guide books and northerners) and you fellows are already complaining  in December, what the heck is going on?

So let me ask you this -- CM MUST have some magical qualities that taken together, totally dwarf this huge pollution negative; mind sharing this with us undecided unfortunates?

Regards

Harmonica

Yeah, some days are like that. We all need a good whine now and again, na? :D

Life is what you make it in most places, right? That's the magic here. The freedom and opportunity to live any life you choose if you have the money and huutspa. That's my general take on things here. I feel FAR more freedom here than I ever felt in America. I'm not slamming America, but Thailand simply feels like Home for me now, and I feel more in control of my life now than at anytime or anyplace else in my life... I'm somone who likes to learn about people, and living here has taught me a lot about myself and life. I still continue to love to learn, and there's always something new to excite me at every turn. Chiang Mai people are great. Your experience may be different :D

If I'm nuts, I guess I'm cool with that. My heart's in the right place, and that's all I want to care about. :D

Hey, the smoke sucks. Nobody likes it, but I don't let it control my life but for those few moments of annoyance... I sense that anyone who is relatively sane here likely has the same SOP... There's a lot to get annoyed about here if you start looking :o

Ajarn, was it not you who wrote somewhere that the field burnings etc. start mid-December and escalate rapidly into February -- consequently December remains a relatively "clean" month w.r.t. pollution?  My apology if it infact was not you.

Yes, I mentioned a day or two ago that I saw an official starting fires along the road and that the fields in the area look ripe for burning, too. And added that on the day I referred to, the heavy smoke was mostly vehicle-related, I felt.

I'm sure I've said worse things  :D

Hey, I don't get it; if November thru' March is the "gorgeous" season for CM (as per the guide books and northerners) and you fellows are already complaining  in December, what the heck is going on?

Regards

Harmonica

Yeah, some days are like that. We all need a good whine now and again, na? :D

Life is what you make it in most places, right? That's the magic here. The freedom and opportunity to live any life you choose if you have the money and huutspa. That's my general take on things here. I feel FAR more freedom here than I ever felt in America. I'm not slamming America, but Thailand simply feels like Home for me now, and I feel more in control of my life now than at anytime or anyplace else in my life... I'm somone who likes to learn about people, and living here has taught me a lot about myself and life. I still continue to love to learn, and there's always something new to excite me at every turn. Chiang Mai people are great. Your experience may be different :D

If I'm nuts, I guess I'm cool with that. My heart's in the right place, and that's all I want to care about. :D

Hey, the smoke sucks. Nobody likes it, but I don't let it control my life but for those few moments of annoyance... I sense that anyone who is relatively sane here likely has the same SOP... There's a lot to get annoyed about here if you start looking :o

Couldn't agree with you more, Ajarn!!

Ajarn,

Thanks for the clarification. Just in case you took it the wrong way, my original question to you was not meant to put you on the spot or any such thing -- it was just a question. If you were offended, you have my apology.

Your reference to Thailand being a better place to live than

America and that you're happier here, friendlier people etc. etc.; no disagreement --

My question was, well let me re-state it -- if we are agreed on the fact that Thailand is a better place to live than let's say, America and that it's people are alot friendlier and we then had a choice as to WHERE in Thailand we would live, would the pollution factor adequately presented in this thread, not be a SIGNIFICANT enough reason to cause one to re-evaluate (one's choice of location in LOS)?

There are other locations in LOS that do not have a pollution problem.

I didn't attend the conference but I believe the Heart and Lungs got top honors at the debate, "which body part should be named Boss?"

Bear with me, please; I'm trying to get a feel for the WHY not any other place in LOS?

Regards

Harmonica

The pollution is only a problem for a few months of the year.

That's true. My concern for the viability of long-term living in Chiang Mai centers more around the large-scale development that is now occurring. If Mr. Big has his way, he'll have transformed Chiang Mai into a northern Bangkok in ten years time (no doubt at great profit to the Big family and cronies). If I really wanted to live in Bangkok, that's where I would be living now. :o

• 3 months later...

Got me thinking about this place

Maybe I had better think of somewhere else...

skycop

I have two wide windows with balconies overlooking Doi Southep, but visibility is poor.  I've noticed that if my shirt sleeve cuff is protruding from my jacket, it's soiled within 20 minutes (while riding on the superhighway).  Dust piles up inside the house even though we keep most of the windows shut.  Pollution everywhere.

It’s true; this place is going fast now environmentally speaking!

I think we need to save Thailand (and the rest of Asia) from Thai people (and clueless Farangs) who mostly and absolutely “don’t know the difference between a banana leaf and a plastic bag” it’s clearly plain to see.

They are killing themselves and the land with the “new technologies” which they don’t really have a clue about or what its doing to them and the land.

I love Thailand and do my best to preserve it but its going to take a lot of understanding and effort on everyone in the country.

I only wish the Thais would listen and follow their great King who is far advanced on environmental subjects for the lands and people here in Thailand.

Their Prime Minister on the other hand is the worst environmental disaster.

When have you even heard him mention the importance of the environment?

He is the “George Bush” of Asia in my book and he better step up to the bat quickly and create an strong environmentally priority (instead of his pocket book for his friends and family) for this country or else it’s a hopeless situation!

--

Edited: Removed rediculous increased font size and unpleasant nickname for the PM. (Please don't post in increased size type unless there's a real good reason for it.) -Chanchao

Edited by chanchao