Thai For Dengue Fever

stickyb

So it literally means "fever blood out"??

Yes, if you translate word by word - in the next step of understanding we get "bleeding fever" or "bleeder fever", since 'awk' is a verb in Thai and "lueat awk" means "to bleed" (or 'bleeding'), and since we know that Thai places noun descriptions after the noun, instead of before as in English.

So it literally means "fever blood out"??

Yes, if you translate word by word - in the next step of understanding we get "bleeding fever" or "bleeder fever", since 'awk' is a verb in Thai and "lueat awk" means "to bleed" (or 'bleeding'), and since we know that Thai places noun descriptions after the noun, instead of before as in English.

ไข้เลือดออก

I always thought that Khai Lueat Ork referred to the cronical condition, Hemorrhagic Dengue Fever.?

Is the milder state also referred to as ไข้เลือดออก? And not ไข้ส่า Khai Saa? Not trying to be a smartass here just wondering :o

cheers

michael

I'll throw in my two cents that in my experience, ไข้เลือกออก is used generally to refer to the disease, whether one is actually hemorrhaging or not. I've had a few friends catch dengue fever, and visited them in the hospital. None had were too critical, but man, it is a real stinker to get.

I'll throw in my two cents that in my experience, ไข้เลือกออก is used generally to refer to the disease, whether one is actually hemorrhaging or not. I've had a few friends catch dengue fever, and visited them in the hospital. None had were too critical, but man, it is a real stinker to get.

I can second that, Rikker. I was hospitalized with Dengue this June and it is awful. The most frustrating thing about the disease is that you start to feel better then relapse. Dreadful.