Thailand Elite Card Fails To Impress

george

Elite Card fails to impress

BANGKOK: -- Shortly after his appointment as deputy prime minister in charge of tourism, Suwat Liptapanlop signalled his support for the ill-fated Elite Card project to move ahead by devising new marketing measures to attract members.

Yet those working in the tourism industry argue that no matter how many times the government tries to adjust the Elite Card programme, it still does not look viable.

On Monday, Suwat met for the first time with top executives of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to lay down his tourism policy.

He insisted to the TAT policymakers that the government would not back down from the Elite Card project but would like to use it to entice foreigners to choose Thailand as their second home.

The project has been controversial from the outset due to its ambitious target and unconventional programme.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would like Thailand to earn Bt1 trillion in foreign exchange from the project in five years through the programme’s Bt1-million membership fee.

The world’s first country privilege membership offers a large array of incentives for members such as free first-class travel on national carrier Thai Airways International, VIP treatment on arrival in Thailand, a five-year, multiple-entry visa and the chance to “buy” land. It also allows members access to golf courses, hospitals, spas, hotels and a host of other services.

If one million members sign up, Thaksin said the country would reap a Bt1-trillion foreign-exchange windfall.

However, the programme has got off to a sluggish start. So far only 600 cards have been issued, many of which have been distributed free of charge to potential members. Now Thailand Privilege Card Co, the operator of the Elite Card, has been forced to cut back its membership target to 118,000.

According to sources, Suwat told TAT executives that the project was still on track even though the company had downgraded its target to a more realistic level.

Prakit Chinamournpong, vice president of the Thai Hotels Association, said the Elite Card had yet to generate enthusiasm among high-end visitors to Thailand.

He said that very few card members used the privileges offered in the membership.

“Since the establishment of the Elite Card, the tourism and hotel sectors have not yet received any benefits from it because none of its members show up to use the services. We have not seen any five-star hotels participating in this programme,” Prakit said.

The association is currently seeking information from its members nationwide to gauge the extent of the card’s usage at its associated hotels and resorts.

The company has appointed Patco Siam Holding Co as its marketing representative for Singapore and Malaysia, where the Elite Card company will try to attract wealthy tourists to subscribe to the card. The company is trying to attract some 5,000 members in those two countries.

Paiboon Tilunouad, president of the Federation of Thai Spas, said spa operators had earlier sought to join in the Elite Card programme but now Thailand Privilege Card would like to reduce the number of the participating spa facilities.

“They should have given notice in advance before severing ties with the spa operators,” Paiboon said.

Choksiri Rodboonpha, president of Thailand Privilege Card, said that in the next week his company would appoint two new sales agents to market the card in South Korea and Japan. It was also planning to appoint marketing representatives in the US, France, the UK and Russia.

Affiliate cards will be issued to complement the elite cards. The affiliate cards’ validity period will be longer and will come with better conditions.

However, Thailand Privilege Card plans to cut the total alliance of 350 participating hotels, spas, hospitals and golf courses by 20 to 25 per cent.

-- The Nation 2004-07-13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world’s first country privilege membership offers a large array of incentives for members such as free first-class travel on national carrier Thai Airways International, VIP treatment on Arrival.

Free first Class travel?

Really?

Free first Class travel?

Really?

Absolutely, I think I saw an offer for BKK-Chiang Mai-BKK and don't forget

buy one get one FREE.

The latter means not really free, as the one you buy is based on full tariff. :o

However, the programme has got off to a sluggish start. So far only 600 cards have been issued, many of which have been distributed free of charge to potential members. Now Thailand Privilege Card Co, the operator of the Elite Card, has been forced to cut back its membership target to 118,000.

"Has been forced to cut back its membership target to 118,000"

From 600 to 118,000, just 20,000% growth.

In how many years? :o

Reasons it doesn't work:

1) Only good for 5 years. A million baht every 5 years?

2) It may be a translation problem, but the "rules" read like a flim-flam pitch. As soon as you evaluate the first thing as being not true (or misleading) the whole credibility of the card comes into question. As in "you can buy land" subject to "when the law allows it". :o

So really, who is going to spend a million baht just for a 5-year visa?

kenk3z

kenk3z, not every five years, it is lifetime. The only thing I could not find out, yet, member's life or club's.

I did advise at the beginning to one friend to take it. He did not pay one million Baht, just 25 K US. Flies out of LoS 3-4 times a month. Now this guy costs money, free limo..., calculated he will save 1 million Baht within 3 years, but after two trips on TG went back to airlines with service. Shoot, kills my mathematics.

All I've been able to see in written rules (if you want to call a web site the official rules) is they'll give you a 5-year visa. I don't remember anything about lifetime permission, but I'll go check again.

At 40 Baht per US dollar, isn't a million Baht about $25,000 USD?

(I'm even using my calculator to make sure that's what I get.)

So, I would expect unlimited exit/entry permits for this 5-year visa, and free renewal each 5 years? Haven't found where they really tell you.

I would never pay even a thousand USD for something so unclear in terms of specifying the rules. But I see Thailand as a future retirement location only (for any long-term stay) and so this program has limited interest to me anyway.

But I wouldn't trust ANYTHING to rumor or "someone said" on this program. Get it in writing. :o

kenk3z

Right to own land off Elite Card list of perks

Move could further hinder sagging sales

BANGKOK: -- The Elite card, initiated by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to lure wealthy foreign tourists and captains of industry to Thailand, is losing its lustre now that the government has backed off on an earlier offer to include the right to own land in the kingdom.

Chotsiri Rodboonpa, managing director of Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), the state-run firm set up to run the operation, said earlier this week that the land ownership benefit had been scrapped due to legal uncertainties.

Foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand, although up to one rai can be held by investors meeting certain criteria.

The card programme has gotten off to a rocky start, with just 600 members signed up after one year of operation. Membership targets have been slashed to 118,000 from one million within the first five years.

Cardholders criticised the decision to withdraw the land ownership benefit.

Yukio Higashida, former chairman of Jiji Press (Thailand), a Japanese news agency, said the reputation of the programme was at stake and that the change would disappoint many cardholders who had already paid in full for their memberships.

He added, however, that he did not plan to tear up his membership card, as he had signed up not to buy land, but rather to gain access to other privileges such as fast-track visa benefits.

``I'm a retiree so I no longer have a work permit. But as an Elite card holder, I get a special visa that allows me to stay for up to five years at a stretch,'' said Mr Higashida.

Another cardholder, Henry Shu, chief executive of Mobile Communication Services in Singapore, agreed there were some members who would be disappointed by the change.

``Members hope to gain as many privileges as possible. But personally, I did not apply to own land in Thailand, but rather to gain the special treatment by immigration and privileges at local golf courses,'' he said.

Cardholders gain access to a 24-hour help line and special benefits at local spas, hotels and golf courses.

Soontaree Tishabhiramya, managing director of Aktiv Company, an authorised sales agent of Thailand Privilege Card, said the reduced benefits package would make it more difficult to sell the lifetime membership cards, which cost one million baht each.

``I accept that it would be more difficult for the agents to sell the card ... but this is a very exclusive market in any case,'' she said.

--The Post 2004-07-14

"However, Thailand Privilege Card plans to cut the total alliance of 350 participating hotels, spas, hospitals and golf courses by 20 to 25 per cent. "

and no right to own land anymore, two things changed from the package after some idiots already bought the card for a million baht. A clear sign that one can not trust the Thai government.

Who would want to be associated with this kind of practises anyway, not the elite I guess...

Dutchy

Yukio Higashida, former chairman of Jiji Press (Thailand), a Japanese news agency, said the reputation of the programme was at stake and that the change would disappoint many cardholders who had already paid in full for their memberships.

He added, however, that he did not plan to tear up his membership card, as he had signed up not to buy land, but rather to gain access to other privileges such as fast-track visa benefits.

``I'm a retiree so I no longer have a work permit. But as an Elite card holder, I get a special visa that allows me to stay for up to five years at a stretch,'' said Mr Higashida.

How long before they renege on this also.

Anyone parting with 1M Baht for one of these cards must live in cuckoo land.

Anyone surprised with the latest move (by the government)

No, not me anyway. TIT / TIT "this is thailand / this is thaksin"

You put your left foot in, your left foot out;

In, out; in, out; and shake it all about.......

This scheme has more turns than the hokey kokey (or the Liverpool share deal), but who's going to dare tell the emperor he's butt naked? You can just imagine him tapping the numbers in his pocket calculator...... 1 million members x $25 k = 25 billion bucks at minimal risk, deposited in a foreign bank account. "They'll be queing out the door for this one boys, just you wait and see".

Now what's with the 118,000 mullarky? Some lucky number dreamt up by a roadside mor du? C'mon Emp, face up to reality, you'll be lucky to hit 1,118 and half of those had to be given away as free perks to kick the scheme off.

Two questions arise: 1/ How much was spent by TAT, etc. in actually kicking this Elite <deleted> off. Billions of baht as I remember, but I'm sure George has the figs at his fingertips.

2/ Isn't this whole scheme remarkably similar to the AIS Serenade "thingy", which appears as regular as clockwork daily in the Post, and is written in the kind of English one would expect from a Mor 3 student. At first I ignored them, but now I kind of get a perverse, cringing pleasure out of reading them. Still don't understand a jot about what they mean mind you.

Bit like some of DaveYo's posts I guess. :o

Right to own land off Elite Card list of perks

Move could further hinder sagging sales

BANGKOK: -- The Elite card, initiated by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to lure wealthy foreign tourists and captains of industry to Thailand, is losing its lustre now that the government has backed off on an earlier offer to include the right to own land in the kingdom.

Chotsiri Rodboonpa, managing director of Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), the state-run firm set up to run the operation, said earlier this week that the land ownership benefit had been scrapped due to legal uncertainties.

Foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand, although up to one rai can be held by investors meeting certain criteria.

The card programme has gotten off to a rocky start, with just 600 members signed up after one year of operation. Membership targets have been slashed to 118,000 from one million within the first five years.

Cardholders criticised the decision to withdraw the land ownership benefit.

Another cardholder, Henry Shu, chief executive of Mobile Communication Services in Singapore, agreed there were some members who would be disappointed by the change.

``Members hope to gain as many privileges as possible. But personally, I did not apply to own land in Thailand, but rather to gain the special treatment by immigration and privileges at local golf courses,'' he said.

Cardholders gain access to a 24-hour help line and special benefits at local spas, hotels and golf courses.

Soontaree Tishabhiramya, managing director of Aktiv Company, an authorised sales agent of Thailand Privilege Card, said the reduced benefits package would make it more difficult to sell the lifetime membership cards, which cost one million baht each.

``I accept that it would be more difficult for the agents to sell the card ... but this is a very exclusive market in any case,'' she said.

--The Post 2004-07-14

That 5 year stay is dependent on extensions at 1900 baht a go every 90 days.

We were all roundly criticised by the Elite Marketers for suggesting that all was not kosher, and that the land ownership thing couldn't happen. It was a pipedream that had to go wrong ... as it did.

Indeed, I would love to hear from some of the Elite Card marketing shills who were extolling the virtues of their product earlier this year all the while dismissing any concerns that were posted regarding some of the program points (such as land ownership).

We were all roundly criticised by the Elite Marketers for suggesting that all was not kosher, and that the land ownership thing couldn't happen. It was a pipedream that had to go wrong  ...  as it did.

Indeed, I would love to hear from some of the Elite Card marketing shills who were extolling the virtues of their product earlier this year all the while dismissing any concerns that were posted regarding some of the program points (such as land ownership).

They'll all be back to flogging dodgy life insurance and pyramid share schemes no doubt, Ovenman. You gotta give 'em credit for flogging a dead horse though, even when it's reduced to a pile of bones.

maybe the "Lifetime" guarantees of benefits, referred just to the lifetime of this present regime, not the cardholder's lifetime? Anybody placing bets.

The visa-"free" being reduced to 5 years is a corker, which just about leaves youa free trip in a limo from the airport and a few massages as the only benefits left for ya milllion baht. about 5,000 baht a 250 baht trip, it probably works out at now. :o

Come on owners, tell us what you're getting for your piece of plastic?

I would never pay even a thousand USD for something so unclear in terms of specifying the rules.

This I believe strongly is the crux of the problem. I haven't checked out the website for quite a while now, but I did so when the card was launced- the benefits were described in an extremely vague manner. As I recall, the benefits were a long list of things like, 'golf at thailand's premier courses', 'stay at thailand's best hotels', and so on. But it didn't say exactly what the benefit would be, because any of us can golf if we pay the greens fees or stay in hotels if we pay the room costs.

Likewise with the visa issue, land issue, and so on.

Imagine if the card provided:

- A no questions, no hassle (certainly no hassle, because one is a VIP) 5yr visa, renewable for life

- Free upgrade from economy to first class or business class on any Thai Airways flight where a seat is open/unsold

- Ability to own 1 rai of land

- Special rates at top hotels- better than Internet rates, special rates at golf courses, etc, all given as a detailed list to card holders

- Shuttles from the airport to anywhere in a 200km radius via Benz E-Classes

- 24hr telephone 'conceirge' service

- Expedited immigration and customs

If we were truly confident the card could provide all these things, then there'd be real value.

I think it's a good idea that has been poorly executed. The card was launched before the product was clear. While we wait (years) for the benefits to be sorted out, the card gets a bad name among its target audience.

Eventually people get tired of not being free enough to own the land they are willing to pay for and call it home, having to leave their "place" every few months and travel to another country just so they can do the same thing again.

No matter how good the pusssy is ( hey just marry a nice lady and you have all you want without the baggage), or how "cool" it seemed living in a different country and making believe.

There's a lot to be said for property ownership, stability, family, freedom.

Your "elite" card isn't fooling too many people bucko.

Mr Vietnam :o

Imagine if the card provided:

- A no questions, no hassle (certainly no hassle, because one is a VIP) 5yr visa, renewable for life

- Free upgrade from economy to first class or business class on any Thai Airways flight where a seat is open/unsold

- Ability to own 1 rai of land

- Special rates at top hotels- better than Internet rates, special rates at golf courses, etc, all given as a detailed list to card holders

- Shuttles from the airport to anywhere in a 200km radius via Benz E-Classes

- 24hr telephone 'conceirge' service

- Expedited immigration and customs

If we were truly confident the card could provide all these things, then there'd be real value.

That would presume that the powers-that-be have some genuine desire to offer these things to the target audience, something about which I have doubts. Does anybody seriously believe that the Thai power elite has any inclination to make it easier for a foreigner to own land in Thailand?

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would like Thailand to earn Bt1 trillion in foreign exchange from the project in five years through the programme’s Bt1-million membership fee.

From Day One of the introduction of the Elite Card, I was amazed, that the Prime Minister and The Richest Man in the country COULD EVER BELIEVE that One Million cards would be sold :o

I guess that common sense is not really very common in Thailand :D

The entire bubble was floated on the tragic Oriental mentality and concept of "Face". One who is seen to conspicuously spend is believed to have more "Face" than one who does not. Thus the preponderance of diamond faced Rolex watches, Mercedes cars and other expensive accoutrements displayed by the rich in society here.

They mistakenly believed the Farang like to throw money away for the sake of "Face", so launched the "Elite" card to choruses of raspberries all round.

RIP

the som tam lady says the biggest problem with the card is the after sales service

Like everything you pay for in Thailand - once you pay its yours and all the problems that go with it - its up to you to chase down and remedy all the problems.

IE i buy the card - i want to get free air travel - sorry no seats - but the card says i can get free travel - the card lied

IE I arrive at airport and no 1st class service, no car, nothing as someone is sleeping - i jump up and down at the airport and rant and rave - its no good - i get cab or limo to save time

Later I complain and it goes no where - so i check the card and benefits - its been changed and there is no longer these free services - so why wasnt i told - the person making the changes was sleeping and hasnt got around to it

and so TIT

:o

the som tam lady says the biggest problem with the card is the after sales service

Like everything you pay for in Thailand - once you pay its yours and all the problems that go with it - its up to you to chase down and remedy all the problems.

IE i buy the card - i want to get free air travel - sorry no seats - but the card says i can get free travel - the card lied

IE I arrive at airport and no 1st class service, no car, nothing as someone is sleeping - i jump up and down at the airport and rant and rave - its no good - i get cab or limo to save time

Later I complain and it goes no where - so i check the card and benefits - its been changed and there is no longer these free services - so why wasnt i told - the person making the changes was sleeping and hasnt got around to it

and so TIT

:o

Where do you buy your som tam? Your som tam lady is capable of more than selling som tam! :D

Guess we had long discussions on this card before. I decided last year not to take it,

1) Amortization would take too long, adjusted to my spending, ie I would have to go for 7.5 years to save Baht 1 million.

2) If charged to the company it would be an asset, taxable like, let's say a golf club membership, which makes it too expensive.

3) The visa does not allow a work permit

kenk3z: Last year the xch rate US$ Baht was around 38 so paying in $ saved Baht 50 K.

If at all, the card is worthwhile for somebody stationed in BKK and flying in/out 3-4 times a month, preferable on TG, playing golf (and actually getting the T-off time), doing a medical check - up once a year a.s.o. When you are in this bracket, I am not, you get your money back with 3-4 years. When you are furthermore living in LoS (but not working) you get a safe visa-solution (It's anchored in the immigration rules.

So when all this applies to you, it's worthwhile but you are the wrong client, using too many of the benefits. The targets are people outside of Thailand, who do not use the privileges too often. And these might do the same calculation and decide not to become a member. That's the main flaw in my opinion.

As for the organization, I observed, it works, the limo is on time, the electro-card is at the gate, the special channel through immigration (and customs) works and your luggage is in the boot of your limo.

The visa (or actually the card) give you permission to stay for 90 days, each time. If you stay longer you have to extent for Baht 1900.

Overall this thing will never succeed, but again, who cares if your savings over the first 5 years exceed your investment.

The final cancellation of the land-promise is surely a blow.

The rates you can get with hotels (if you need them) are not better than other corporate deals with the hotels directly.

Dion put it in a positing, long time ago (sorry no time to search) that the visa is reneable every 5 years.

OK, too long already, I do not become a member, but good luck to the 600 or so. :o

Of course the minute that any of us heard about this card. We knew it would fail and it has, kind of makes you wonder about the intelligence of the PM, that any farang smuck in a Lazy-boy can figure out what he and 20 advisors cannot.

The funniest thing is that glass cube in the airport. Anybody seen that thing.

It's a 3 meters by 3 meters glass walled cube, situated right in the center of the airport walkway. It has a couple of couches in there, and a couple of computers, and big signs posted above that say "Elite card"

Can't think of anything that I would rather do less than sit in that fish bowl, while all the tourists and Thai's laugh and gawk.

"Look mommy there's one of those stupid farang that spent 1 mil on golf discounts."

"Don't get to close honey, he's crazy so he might bite"