Succesful Import Of Fortuner

I managed to get my Fortuner into Ireland without much hassle at all.

I did plenty of research on the matter and there were plenty of conflicting reports.

In the end, my car is now registered in Ireland and I did not have to pay any VRT (vehicle registration tax).

The main cost was in the shipping but as I was sending container anyway it worked out OK.

If you need any details or you are planning on something like this yourself just get in touch or PM me.

on the basis that u will abroad for more than 12 months and that you own the car for over 6 months then there is no VRT.

Bertie hasnt plugged the loopholes yet - cause they arent really loopholes- i suppose its just a perk for coming home.

Believe me - these perks are needed!

I am struggling to settle into things!

Its the only Fortuner in Ireland - or so I have been told! But I am sure there must be others!!!

Gardai already stopped me to quiz me! The windows are tinted so I look like the local drug dealer - especially with hip-hop blaring!

Edited by appleman_thai

If costs are high to ship, what problems would be associated with driving it there ? China, Russia Hungary, Austria, Switzerland Germany, France route. About 13000 k ? Has anybody done or contemplated such a drive ?

If costs are high to ship, what problems would be associated with driving it there ? China, Russia Hungary, Austria, Switzerland Germany, France route. About 13000 k ? Has anybody done or contemplated such a drive ?

If things dont pick up for me here I may be taking that route back to Thailand!!!!

I dunno if anybody has done that run, but it would be great to do it, then turn round and come back again.

I would go for it in a Caravan of cars, not on my own though.

People have driven Tuk-tuks to Europe on several occasions so it's obviously possible.

Cars may be more problematic on the import/export paperwork in the multitude of countries en-route. Certainly a lot of research and planning is required.

My brother and I are discussing bringing an older 4x4 he has in Europe that way in reverse.. We have worked out clearances for each country except China and strangely Thailand (it will be UK regged but Carnet not accepted here)..

If anyone wanted a car delivered that way we would happily do it with the one proviso we would want to not take the shortest route so that we could do the entire trans siberian highway.. Vladivostok to St Petersberg.

Most people do the tibet india pakistan iran turkey route..

Yes it was a personal import.

Yes, the car was in my name for more than 6 months.

No, I didnt take rear seats out at all.

Still having a problem with installing a heater. Local Toyota dealers will not do it for me!!

Looks like I will have to buy a wooly jumper for the Winter!

Personal imports into the UK or Ireland are quite easy, bringing them in to resell is the problem. If you have a "V" spec Fortuner I doubt you'll have much joy installing a heater properly with the built in climate control.

My guess is that the Toyota agents in Ireland will not touch this vehicle with a barge pole

It would appear that you are right.

So far no-one can help with installign the heater.

However, I can import any car parts that I need without much hassle but it is installing them that is the issue!

Other than these small issues the Fortuner is settling well in Ireland - took it for a spin down to Kerry and got some Kerry muck all over it!

Yes it was a personal import.

Yes, the car was in my name for more than 6 months.

No, I didnt take rear seats out at all.

Still having a problem with installing a heater. Local Toyota dealers will not do it for me!!

Looks like I will have to buy a wooly jumper for the Winter!

youl be needing a hat scarf and gloves aswell. A packet of fishermens freinds will help with the ice on the inside of the windscreen....and a a small tip for ya...open the packet before you put your gloves on. :o

THere is a demister already installed!

Thanks for the tip on fishermans friends and the gloves! Clever.

Berty - is there any chance that you could explain how you do it so that I can tell a mechanic here?

Or I could set up my webcam and you can talk me thru it!!!!

SOmeone else suggested a heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter!!!

But seriously, anyone got a decent suggestion for me?

Looks like I will be stuck with gloves and a wooly hat.

I have been to a few mechanics and they are quoting up to 4k euros! And most of them will not even attempt to do it!

I have found a heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter but that is only a temporary solution!

So advice to others is to get the heater installed before leaving Thailand!!!

if you havent done so already , there are some decent ceramic car heaters which work off a 12v supply , there is one sold in the usa for about 150$ that sits on the back seats , or in your case it could go right in the back and is supposed to do a decent job , google should help you find it if youre interested.

Thanks.

Do you mean the type that plug into the cigarette lighter?

I have found a few of them online alright but they are all around 20 euros and just sit on the top of the dashboard.

When you say that they can be put in the back seat what exactly do you mean?

At this stage I am willing to try anything..... i wont be paying 4k tho!

Thanks!

LINK TO HEATER

have a look at that.

comments from purchasers below.

« Wolf Duralite Car CoverBully Dog Outlook Monitor: Chevy/GMC Duramax Engines ‘01-’05 »Road Worthy Back Seat Heat Plus 12V Portable Car Heater

http://www.autobarn.net/3000c.html

Ideal for heating those always cold areas in Autos, RVs, vans, boats, trailers, cabs - virtually any 12 volt vehicle - with this powerful compact heater that heats up instantly; provides over 1100 BTUs of heat; features an adjustable thermostat. Comes with all the necessary wiring, optional dash mounted switch and universal mounting bracket. Carries a two year warranty by manufacturer. Features: For SUVs, vans, boats, RVs, tractors and equipment cabs New patented energy cell Energy efficient Instant heat output Adjustable thermostat Fan only and heat settings Dashboard switch 20 Ft. wire harness included Swivel mounting bracket Cabinet remains cool to touch Compact Design Attractive textured finish Full two year warranty Keeps vehicle warm and dry Directional air flow Lightweight, easy to install, portable Adaptable to all 12V vehicle applications No maintenance required Specifications: Patent # 4,9000,898 andamp; 323,553 Voltage: 12 VDC Current: 25 AMP @ 12 VDC Power Consumption: 300 Watts, 1100 BTUs Wire Harness Length: 20 ft. Fan Rating: 102 CFM Warranty: 2 Years Made in USA

Please enter in your comments about this item, your past experience with this item, or any other general comments in regards to this item.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 26th, 2006 at 3:55 pm and is filed under Interior Accessories. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Bookmark on del.icio.us

12 Responses to “Road Worthy Back Seat Heat Plus 12V Portable Car Heater”

Lukas Blaser Says:

November 5th, 2006 at 11:47 pm

Dear Sir,

some weeks ago I ordered through this webpage this Heater and paied with my credit card but I have still not received this heater! Where is it?

Please let me know what happend?

I used my credit card and I send the item to the following address:

Carl Bobb in Parker CO.

Wilfredo R. Pasadilla Says:

November 7th, 2006 at 12:40 pm

Dear. Sir/Ma’am

Could you please email me the dimension the THE3000c back seat heater so that I can

measure the area where I’ am going to this heater.

Regards

Wilfredo R. Pasadilla

KOUROSH_KESHAVARZI Says:

November 24th, 2006 at 7:36 pm

PLEASE SEND US FOR 10.000 CAR HEATER AND DELIVERY TIME .

Marcy Cameron Says:

November 25th, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Hi, can you tell me if this heater can be easily plugged into the cigarette lighter without installation? Also does the vehicle have to be on when using the lighter to heat the space?

I wanted to order this and receive the Turkey2K6 discount of $20. plus free s/h, but I can’t order this till I get answers to the above questions…and when I called customer service today, it said you were closed. So, if I am satisfied with the answers you send back, are you able to honor this ’special’ promo since I couldn’t receive customer service during the sale?

Thank you and had a Happy Thanksgiving

Marcy Cameron

tom Says:

November 29th, 2006 at 4:54 pm

looking for 12v heater to keep pickup box w/topper warm in below 0 temps.Paints & chemicals stored in there.

nina Says:

December 3rd, 2006 at 9:17 pm

chkg

nina Says:

December 3rd, 2006 at 9:21 pm

Looking for a heater to heat my Explorer. Don’t want to pay 581.00-1400 to fix the windoor on a 2003 Explorer. I would rather freeze than pay that kind of money to fix a part that should really last the life of the car or at least 5-10 years as a minium.

uday Says:

December 5th, 2006 at 6:11 pm

could explain or give more details about this Back Seat Heat Plus

12V Portable Car Heater .

i do not have heater in my car, i can afford to do it because of expensive. i live at iowa.

this is works at nagitive temparaters

tamer katamesh Says:

December 9th, 2006 at 2:30 am

hi, my car heater does not work. do you think the back seat heater is enough to warm my Pontiac Bonneville SC 92? will it work on my this kind of car to start with? I would like also to know if I can plug the 12 volt Back Seat Heater into my cigarette lighter or not? and if not, how can I install it. you say it is connected directly to the car battery, so how will extend the wire into the interior of the car. can you send me it manual by email so I can get a better idea. thanks

chris Says:

January 2nd, 2007 at 1:16 am

should i buy this????

Robin Says:

January 21st, 2007 at 6:30 pm

I recently purchased this item since the heater core in my car is not working and I didn’t want to spend alot of money to fix it since my car has so many miles on it. As far as installing this heater, I had a mechanic do it; it was way beyond my abilities! He said it was a bit of a pain to install. It hooks up to the car’s battery, NOT the cigarette lighter. He anchored it to the “hump” on the floor in the back seat, facing the front of the care, which is probably the best place for it to get heat throughout the car. He installed the on/off switch on the dash. The heater instructions say that it warms the incoming air 20 to 30 degrees which is just what it does. If it is 30 degrees or so outside, the heater really does help, warming the air to about 50-60 degrees. But if it is colder, the air blowing out of the heater feels cold, and I’ve just shut it off because cold air blowing on you makes it feel even colder than it is! Also, it doesn’t really help to defrost the windows. I’ve done alot of research on these heaters to try to get one that would work the best and from what I’ve seen, this one seems to be the most powerful. Like I said, it does help alot for temperature around 30 degrees and above. Something else I purchased that helps warm you up alot is a car seat cushion that you plug into the cigarette lighter. It only costs around $l7.00 and it feels great on your bottom and back and adds to your comfort on ALL cold days, regardless of the temperature. I also purchased a blanket for those in the back seat that plugs into the lighter as well. It also works pretty well. It does take about 10-15 minutes to heat up though. Hope this helps to answer any questions you may have. I know when I was looking for customer comments about this heater, I couldn’t find any and would have greatly appreciated any feedback. Overall, I’m glad I bought it. Also, the unit is not hot to touch when on, although I am careful that it doesn’t get covered up by the blanket when using both.

john Fitzgibbon Says:

May 5th, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Hi Guys….

Very interetsed in the 12volt heater do you do business with this end of the planet…

Cheers

JF

Leave a Reply

Edited by taxexile