Free Wi Fi On Samui, Pha Ngan, Tao

On a recent visit to BKK I discovered there are alot of Free Wi Fi hotspots in //edit// in the entrance of Nana Plaza //End Edit//, great to know about when travelling with a laptop.

I for one am keen to know of any free Wi FI hotspots on our Islands,

The ones I am aware of as follows:

SAMUI FREE WI FI HOT SPOTS

Coco Blues Company

PHA NGAN FREE WI FI HOTSPOTS

A's Coffee Shop, Thong Sala

Vantana Restaurant, Thong Sala

Yellow Cafe, Thong Sala

TAO FREE WIFI HOTSPOTS

?????????????????

Does anyone else know of any more?

MM

Didn't know Mike offered free wi-fi, how long has that been going on?

There might be some in Hadrin, but I wouldn't count on it, with the exorbitant rents down there they can't afford to give anything away!

i didn't realize there were any free hotspots. hopefully people will start putting in more. there is ichiwawa who was trying to corner the market here, but they are very expensive and their service is unreliable.

i didn't realize there were any free hotspots. hopefully people will start putting in more. there is ichiwawa who was trying to corner the market here, but they are very expensive and their service is unreliable.

I am sure there are more free spots but we dont know about them yet.

The more people post info about the free spots the better for all.

According to a leaflet I picked up in Starbucks in Cheweng all their stores in Cheweng, Pattaya, Phuket etc are wi-fi hotspots

I think Starbucks charges like the light brigade for there Wi FI, its not free

MM

• 5 weeks later...
According to a leaflet I picked up in Starbucks in Cheweng all their stores in Cheweng, Pattaya, Phuket etc are wi-fi hotspots

I can confirm the Starbucks in Phuket at Central shopping mall has wifi but you must pay by the day. Don't know about the Patong beach one or about Samui

Harry's Bungalows & Restaurant - Mae Nam Beach located 150 m. right hand from the temple rd. next to the new Samui Buri Hotel - they do charge for internet cafe usage 40 Bhat per Hrs. but none of the employees is interested what one is doing with his PDA or Notebook, laptop....good connection too and NOT password protected - OPEN! :o

What is this ichiwawa thing? I have a wireless computer in the Bang Rak area and I sometimes see the wireless ichiwawa network available but have never tried to connect to it. Is it an ISP or something? Are they the people that are trying to broadcast huge areas of wireless? Who/What exactly are they?

What is this ichiwawa thing? I have a wireless computer in the Bang Rak area and I sometimes see the wireless ichiwawa network available but have never tried to connect to it. Is it an ISP or something? Are they the people that are trying to broadcast huge areas of wireless? Who/What exactly are they?

They are trying to set up a WIFI network across as much of Samui as possible. They have recently put a large antenae near to Big Buddha that projects out to much of the Bangrak area, primarily for a hotel somewhere along there but it seems to cover all the area from Sabai Thani to the Mermaid.

Depending on your particular location you might be able to get a good strong connection. You can buy a monthly subscription or buy cards for certain amount of minutes. More information can be found at www.ichiwawa.net.

I use them a lot as some of the connections have a good 2 Mb connection which is OK for skype or downloading large files ... some of the connections are not that strong though.

So then I have 3 wireless connections available to me.

1. I set up a wireless router with my neighbors DSL and we split the bill (only 320 baht a month per person).

2. The hotel next to me has an unsecured wireless network and I can get on it at anytime.

3. I can receive the ichiwawa signal as well but since I have to pay for it it would be last option only if the other two went down.

I use skype and download torrents all the time and almost never have any problems. (Except for now but all of Asia is having internet problems.)

Having the internet in my house is a blessing. I would go nuts trying to find something on TV to watch, the internet offers an infinite plethora of information to keep me entertained/educated/up-to-date/etc.

• 2 months later...

I part-own a new resort just south of Hin Ta Hin Yai, www.samui-reefview.com Public welome to use our facilities, which include Free WiFi. Gus.

Edited by gusG

Cool Runnings in Ban Tai advertises (I believe) free wi-fi as well. Best to check it out, we were driving past and I didn't catch all of the sign.

I might add that Cool Runnings has excellent food too. And a new pool table for those waiting to eat some of their delicious food :o

At the south end of Chaweng, there is free WiFi at a guesthouse/restaurant named AKWA. They have good farang food and friendly staff to boot. It's directly across the street from the Seascape Beach Resort (which is next door to Poppies). There is also a weak WiFi coming from the Samui Beach Apartments, which are the apartments near the road infront of the Seascape Beach Resort and opposite of the AKWA. On Chaweng Noi, there is free WiFi in the lobby of the Impiana Resort but it doesn't reach the rooms and it's not a cheap hotel. In Lamai, there is free WiFi at a place called Lamai Wanta, which is a decent midrage beachside resort a stone's throw from central Lamai.

Didn't know Mike offered free wi-fi, how long has that been going on?

quite a while 4-5 months i can remember, likely longer.

My post was made in November, which is nearly 4 months ago. Prior to that, I was home for 2 1/2 months.

So, you can see, the timetable makes sense :o

• 3 weeks later...

Chequered Flag now has free wifi, and if your laptop is not wireless compatable then the bar man will supply you with a lan cable so you can plug straight into the router.

Happy hour from 1 til 6pm,

so while you wait for the boat,

you can have a cheap beer and

check your emails for Free

inbetween munching on English pub food and

playing a shot on the free pool table.

Only 50 Yards from Seatran Pier

Get your ticket first, cos they will even give you a lift to the end of the pier when it's time for your boat.

What better way to spend time usually wasted while waiting for a boat!